Could it be?

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 604

Scioto

baddnole":1hd1m2lk said:
A Southerner's look at Alabama FOOTBALL

Well let's just say what most people think about the University of Alabama. Its football pursuits justify its identity with an uneducated backward white population and a symbolic link to the Lost Cause they hold so dear. Much in the same way as D.W. Griffith's movie The Birth of a Nation encouraged the worst elements of southern society a hundred years ago; Bama football still encourages a similar backward behavior from a large segment of its fan base today. The Crimson Tide football team is an outlet for their lunatic fringe fans and gives them a venue to be recognized.

Bama fans overestimate the "esteem" of being the last college football factory and unwittingly rob themselves of the very reverence they crave by their boorish and obsessive behavior. They defend the indefensible and deny the undeniable. Their unhealthy emotional stake in Bama football substitutes for their own lack of personal acknowledgement and respect. Thus driven by extreme emotion they have delusions and commit unconscionable often violent actions (Harvey Updyke and others). Even Nick Saban contributes to the lunacy by comparing losing a football game to the Pearl Harbor and 911 tragedies when thousands of Americans lost their lives.

Also the University of Alabama's misplaced priorities of gold-plated football fluff over economic substance harms the state's citizens with a false bravado of football. History reveals that the holy crusade of Bama football acts as an impediment to social and economic progress. For instance the University of Alabama administration allows white-only sororities to continue their policy of banning African-American females from membership. Ironic that most of the precocious Bama "student athletes" are African-American but their daughters and sisters can be excluded from university sororities.

It is well known that when a university simply reflects the attitudes of its football fans it is no longer a university in the true meaning of the word. Football has stalled the University of Alabama's transformation into a modern university with intellectual, aesthetic or humanistic concerns. The reality is that the NCAA would actually do the University of Alabama a favor by handing down the Death Penalty for its football team. Then perhaps finally its faculty, alumni and students might appreciate the scholarship and learning that mark a university with intellectual fiber and integrity. And so it is that "roll tide" is the mortifying apology for those who are either naive or without individual self-respect or dignity.

With all that being said-------Go Bama,destroy Florida. :tu:

I hate Alabama. Less than Michigan, but more than I hate USC and Notre Dame.

I don't believe this article is credible, however. No way the Southern Poverty Law Center would stand by and permit this. Is there an Alabama grad that can confirm?

Zulu

baddnole":1i6qr92m said:
A Southerner's look at Alabama FOOTBALL

Well let's just say what most people think about the University of Alabama...

... perhaps finally its faculty, alumni and students might appreciate the scholarship and learning that mark a university with intellectual fiber and integrity. And so it is that "roll tide" is the mortifying apology for those who are either naive or without individual self-respect or dignity.

An interesting essay, and one that's been around the internet since at least 2010. What I find even more interesting is that the writer either didn't sign the original, or those who have copied his work have failed to give him credit. In either case it fails to represent the "individual self-respect or dignity" the writer claims to admire.

As the father of two University of Alabama students (one a sophomore, the other a 2015 graduate and current grad student) I can credibly claim that the writer's assertion that Alabama is simply a "college football factory" is simply untrue. Ever since we started the college visits for my eldest back in the spring of 2009, I've had several opportunities for lengthy conversations with Dean Shane Sharpe (Dean of the Honors College) and Dr. Ken Whitaker (former assistant dean of the College of Engineering and current University Provost) regarding the academic philosophy at Alabama. I was very impressed with what I heard; impressed enough to encourage my sons to attend. While I can't remember exactly which of the two men provided each specific point, I can assure anyone that what I'm about write is a paraphrase of several conversions I had with the two.

Dr. Robert Witt, who was President of the University of Alabama from 2003-2012, embarked on a path of improving the overall quality of education and academic reputation of the university that has been continued by his predecessors. He goal was to transform Alabama from a school simply known for its football team into a university that was highly respected for both it's academic and athletic programs. They specifically mentioned the Universities of Michigan (sorry OHVATN) and Texas as models of large state universities known for both academics and athletics.

This change in policy was greatly assisted by the success of the football team. Since the Tide have risen again to national prominence, financial contributions to the university (and not just the football program) have exploded. Championships make alumni happy, and happy alumni are generous alumni. Corporate donations and partnerships also increased significantly; I guess corporate executives like being associated with winners. Whatever the reasons, the success of the football team has led to a dramatic increase in funds for the university as a whole.

With the money to support Dr. Witt's plan, Alabama has taken a three-pronged approach to reaching their goal: (1) World class facilities, (2) Nation leading faculty, and (3) high performing students. Facilities like the brand-new Science and Engineering Research Center (SERC) are second-to-none; My younger son had a visiting professor from Georgia Tech tell him that the labs at Tech aren't even in the same class as what they have available in the SERC. With the latest "toys" and higher salaries, Bama has been able to lure (poach) top notch professors from other schools. My boys tell me that the majority of their engineering professors have either been hired away from other schools or lured back into teaching from the private sector. Finally, Alabama is spending the money to get high performing students. High school graduates with a good GPA and ACT scores can easily get most or all of their tuition covered by automatic scholarships. As a result, over 50% of my eldest son's freshman class was from out-of-state, and at this point over half the student body are out-of-state students.

All that being said, is it working? I'd say so. I received an email earlier this semester (parents' mailing list) that stated that the incoming 37% of the incoming freshman class had ACT scores of 30 or higher. That's pretty impressive for a state university. They also now have just over 600 National Merit Scholars on campus. I think that's #1 outside of the Ivy League. More importantly, the US News and World Report university ranking for 2015-2016 recently came out, and for SEC schools it's:

#1 Vanderbilt (by far)
#2 Florida
#3 Georgia
#4 Texas A&M
#5 Alabama
#6 Auburn
#7 (tie) Tennessee
#7 (tie) Missouri
#9 South Carolina
#10 (tie) LSU
#10 (tie) Arkansas
#10 (tie) Kentucky
#13 Ole Miss
#14 Mississippi State

So, "football factory" and "identify with an uneducated backward white population?" Maybe in the past, but definitely not anymore. My boys are getting a great education and are proud of their school and their football team; and I'm proud of them. Roll Tide.

Spurhunter

Zulu":3re2jdbo said:
My boys are getting a great education and are proud of their school and their football team

Who wouldn't be proud of a program despicable enough to take Jonathan Taylor? Yeah, that Jonathan Taylor. The one that was kicked off Georgia's football team for beating up his girlfriend and still faced 2 FELONY counts when Little Nicky welcomed him to the fold. Yep, that program is something to be proud of. :roll:

Spurhunter

BamaProud":udj88i4o said:
Tennessee has more arrested players than Alabama:
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-fo ... ests-2015/

Facts ya know.

Sooooo, in the last 5 years Tennessee has had ONE more arrest than alabammer? The real question here is how were the arrests handled? And when you put Jonathan Taylor in (technically he was at UGA when arrested but bammer took him after which is even more despicable) they are even. What were the arrests for? Jaywalking or Felony Assault? Try harder BP. :tu:

Vermin93

BamaProud":1wvvge7a said:
Alabama also has the highest graduation rates among Football players in the Nation.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... on-success

#1 on the field and #1 in the classroom.

Nope. By misinterpreting that article you are keeping with the tradition of Bammers making bogus #1 claims. :lol:

Bammer is not in the Top 10 for football player graduation rates.

Zulu

Spurhunter":2xpvln5q said:
Who wouldn't be proud of a program despicable enough to take Jonathan Taylor? Yeah, that Jonathan Taylor. The one that was kicked off Georgia's football team for beating up his girlfriend and still faced 2 FELONY counts when Little Nicky welcomed him to the fold. Yep, that program is something to be proud of. :roll:

Signing Taylor was a mistake and nothing to be proud of. However, Taylor violated his zero-tolerance agreement and was kicked off the team before spring practice was over; he never played a down for Alabama. Realizing one's mistakes and taking action to correct them IS something to be proud of.

So, yes, my boys are still proud of their school and their team, and, more importantly, I'M still proud of THEM.

Spurhunter

Zulu":3babvlbt said:
Signing Taylor was a mistake and nothing to be proud of. However, Taylor violated his zero-tolerance agreement and was kicked off the team before spring practice was over; he never played a down for Alabama. Realizing one's mistakes and taking action to correct them IS something to be proud of.

Locking your keys in your car is a mistake. Taking a player that was just dismissed from another school for having 2 FELONY charges pending against him is selling your soul to win football games. It's obvious you are drinking the alabammer kool aid and will excuse and try to explain away anything they do. :roll:

Zulu

Spurhunter":3fj42bhh said:
It's obvious you are drinking the alabammer kool aid and will excuse and try to explain away anything they do. :roll:

I will start off by telling you that I take offense at your assumption regarding my thoughts; "For who among men knows the thoughts of a man save the spirit of the man which is in him?" (1 Cor. 2:11). I can tell you that I think this IS the first time I've ever been accused of being a "kool aid drinker." The more common accusation is that I'm "overly-rational."

I will rephrase my statement regarding Taylor: signing him was wrong. However, UA corrected that error by dismissing him. I also realize that for every Jonathan Taylor, there are countless unsung role-models like a personal favorites: Barrett Jones (hometown Memphis boy, All-American at three different positions, won both the Outland and Rimington trophies, plus graduated suma cum laude with a BA and an MBA), Jalston Fowler (self described "teenage troublemaker" who grew up and earned both a Bachelor's and a Master's in 4 1/2 years and now starts at fullback for the Titans), and, of course, AJ McCarron, where this video says it all:
[youtube]BAHW44xVsVg[/youtube]

Bama fanatic or hard-core hater, I'd have to question the humanity of anyone who could watch that without getting choked up.

Does the University of Alabama football program have it's warts? Of course. I'd challenge you to find any program that doesn't. But it also has plenty of diamonds. Enough diamonds for this supporter to be proud.

Twinshooter

RobbyW":10v9rei7 said:
Spurhunter":10v9rei7 said:
RobbyW":10v9rei7 said:
UT fans make me laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me guess: Bandwagon bammer fan?

:pop:

Oh no!!! Realistic hogs fan.

And you actually admit that on a public forum? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermin93

You guys are getting pretty serious with the Bammer exchange. :shock:

I propose we get back to some more light-hearted Bammer bashing like making fun of one of my favorite videos - the now famous "Running of the Gumps" on Bammer fan day. :lol:

The Gump in the red shorts at 0:33 and the one in the green shirt at 1:08 are priceless. :rotf:

[youtube]UEg8jmHoN5E[/youtube]

Zulu

Vermin93":2b1p2keu said:
The Gump in the red shorts at 0:33 and the one in the green shirt at 1:08 are priceless. :rotf:

Gotta admit that's some funny stuff. My favorite is the opening sequence -- there's a couple of big ole boys really jockeying for position in that first bunch of 5 or so.

Oh well, just like you can't pick your family, you can't pick the other folks who root for your team :roll:

RTR

Spurhunter

Zulu":1e31isig said:
I will rephrase my statement regarding Taylor: signing him was wrong.

That's what I wanted to hear. I don't care who you root for this whole situation stinks and Saban should've known better. Luckily, the SEC has made a rule to prevent it in the future.

Latest posts