8MM mauser ????

bguy

well guys digging thru the closet last night at the house and I found a old 8MM mauser war rifle I have had for years...I thought I had gotten rid of it along time ago... got to thinking about it and would like to maybe make it into a modernized hunting rifle... new stock and stuff... just use the action and the barrel if its still good...anybody got any idea on how much this would cost someone to have something like this done... I figured I would just keep the new rifle in a 8MM caliber for hunting...

shrimphead

i would think you can get a drop in stock for under 100 bucks. 8mm mauser is a good caliber for deer hunting.and you can get a barrel of your choice to fit it for maybe less than $150.which mauser do you have

Urban_Hunter

What is it exactly? Any interest in selling? I love old battle rifles!

From what I've seen, Sporterizing an old military rifle for the most part results in a devalued piece that is easily outperformed by the $250 Walmart rifles. Mounting optics and a workable trigger often become expensive and tedious endeavors.

dmonty

Just my opinion here but you could probably buy a new hunting rifle cheaper than customizing the Mauser. Mauser actions do make great donors but you will ruin the value with any modifications.

Hunter 257W

I love the idea of having a sporterized 98 Mauser in 8x57 to deer hunt with. I've ended up with 3 in fact or at least all the parts to make 3. But it sure isn't the cheapest way to get a budget rifle. The tools to bend the bolt handle will cost around $200 at best. Also you have to get it drilled and tapped for a scope unless you are going to use the original military sights. If you aren't happy with the military 2 stage trigger that's another item that will cost to replace. It will cost at least twice as much in the end as one of many low cost new bolt action rifles. Also if you shoot factory ammo, it's not easy to find and there aren't many options available.
Now if you just enjoy tinkering with rifles, reload and especially if you cast your own bullets, this is a great project in my opinion. My goal is to work up a load using the custom Lee 215 grain flat nose bullet (actually they weigh more like 240 grains when cast from Wheel Weights) to deer hunt with. So far the one rifle I've tested has horrible accuracy with cast bullets but is good with jacketed. I haven't varied bullet alloy nor velocity much however so remain optimistic. :) This rifle has a peep sight so can be fired without bothering to bend the bolt. I havent fired the other complete rifle that i have yet. My 3rd Model 98 is just a complete action with a take-off military barrel laying on the work bench at the moment.

I do have yet another model 98 that has a cheapo barrel in 270 Winchester on it with a Timney trigger and bottom of the line synthetic stock. I bought it from some surplus wholesaler using my FFL years ago and glass and pillar bedded it when I put it in the stock. It's ugly as dirt but shoots very well if you don't get the barrel hot,

bguy

I have descided to just leave this gun as is...sent some pics to different members and such and I think the gun would be more valuable left alone...thanks for all the help on this guys!

ROVERBOY

bguy":2xb81fdy said:
I have descided to just leave this gun as is...sent some pics to different members and such and I think the gun would be more valuable left alone...thanks for all the help on this guys!
I think that decision is best. Besides collectors will pay a decent price for it the way it is.

bguy

ROVERBOY":2sfx6kj9 said:
bguy":2sfx6kj9 said:
I think that decision is best. Besides collectors will pay a decent price for it the way it is.

With that being said I will prob sale this gun..... I have no use for it and all it would be is a collection piece for someone who collects those types of guns.... if anyone is interested in it you can PM me with a offer..

Tiny

Depending on variant likely best to leave as is.. n see you have decided to do so.. on the other hand they again depending on variant make for some dandy customs.
Had one I was going to that been sportized still 8x57 at time it was stole.. Aghhh

Anyway have em .n 1 in the Rem Classic.

Equal to the 06 in many ways with Handloads n or imported euro ammo .
99 of US is severely underloaded because of the .318 vs .323 bores n some weaker actions.. like its sister the 7x57.

IMRs 4064,4895 4320 n H414 with 150 have been the best n consistent powders in mine
S&B ammo shot well in both n is loaded warmer than others tried.. Hornady wernt far behind with the 195 Interlock if can find em.. havent not tried the match ammo with FMJ yet

Latest posts