7mm Mauser

Jcalder

I'm in the process of being an old Mauser back to life. I plan on loading but looking for some suggestions.

Any thing wrong with prvi partisan brass. The next cheapest option is hornady brass but it's hit or miss on availability.

I've also debated on shooting either 120gr ballistic tips or 140s. Or going to a traditional cup and core like a sierra pro hunter.

Gun is either a 93 or 95. Barrel is an adams and Bennett 9.5 twist sporter barrel. Defiantly not a safe queen. More of a project gun.
7dc6d9de1cc2e9b063e125b6644e020e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

The Privi Brass I have bought from Grafs is fine, no complaints at all.

Nosler has a 140 grain partition and/or Accubond.

I shoot both in my 7mm08 and 280 and am pretty happy with them.

Jcalder

DaveB":uqkrdlix said:
The Privi Brass I have bought from Grafs is fine, no complaints at all.

Nosler has a 140 grain partition and/or Accubond.

I shoot both in my 7mm08 and 280 and am pretty happy with them.
I would probably just shoot the accubond but they're a little pricey. Im not against them if I could find them on shootersproshop. I know DA likes the 120 NBT but I have very little experience with them.

DaveB

Many of us prowl the SPS site and will post up when the 140 Abonds pop back up.

I have tried the 120's. Egads they are accurate, fast, available all the time, fast, and even come in pretty baby blue once in a long long while. Did I mention fast?

And for a fact, I did zero research. I took DA's recipe, plugged it in, went to range. bang bang bang sub moa and that was me with my double vision.
The pretty blue washed out but you'll notice I brought along some old realiable red 120's to use for comparison purposes, just in case.

Hunter 257W

Looks like a rifle that I would really enjoy fooling with. I'd go with whichever brand of brass I could find a few hundred of 1st. Same with bullets. At the velocities that the 7x57 operates at, premium bullets are not needed at all anyhow. I'm assuming you are already aware that the small ring Mauser actions can't handle the same pressures that a 98 can and as such there is load data that mi9ght be pushing it for that rifle. The fact that you mention it is a 93 or 95 Mauser indicates you already know that though. :)

I have a real rough 98 in 270 with, I think, a Adams & Bennett barrel that I bought as a barreled action and scrounged up all the other pieces over time going as cheap as possible. It shoots nice small 3 shot groups but they open up once the barrel gets hot. Perfect for a hunting rifle. I love seeing what you can do with very little. The 7x57 cartridge is one of the greats for sure. It has enough power yet is real mild to shoot.

Jcalder

Hunter 257W":2os72r32 said:
Looks like a rifle that I would really enjoy fooling with. I'd go with whichever brand of brass I could find a few hundred of 1st. Same with bullets. At the velocities that the 7x57 operates at, premium bullets are not needed at all anyhow. I'm assuming you are already aware that the small ring Mauser actions can't handle the same pressures that a 98 can and as such there is load data that mi9ght be pushing it for that rifle. The fact that you mention it is a 93 or 95 Mauser indicates you already know that though. :)

I have a real rough 98 in 270 with, I think, a Adams & Bennett barrel that I bought as a barreled action and scrounged up all the other pieces over time going as cheap as possible. It shoots nice small 3 shot groups but they open up once the barrel gets hot. Perfect for a hunting rifle. I love seeing what you can do with very little. The 7x57 cartridge is one of the greats for sure. It has enough power yet is real mild to shoot.
I acquired this gun in a trade a few years ago and never could get it to shoot good. When I got it it was a 243. When I started to load for it I quickly realized the throat was gone. They measured way past 3" before I hit the lands. I got the stock in my quest to figure out why it wouldn't shoot and had it bedded. I've put in an aftermarket trigger. The action and bolt are functional but far from pretty.

I am aware of the pressures. All the load data that I've found seems to be more for modern actions but comparing loaded ammo I kinda have a threshold. The fact that someone wore out a 243 barrel amazes me. I wish the gun could tell us a story. I'm not looking for a barn burner. Just a comfortable shooter that my kids can enjoy.

Hunter 257W

I agree with your intended purpose 100%. To be honest, that's all any of us really need to deer hunt with - not just kids. I load my Mauser 270 down to around 2,880 ft/sec with 130 gr BTips for the same reason.

Did you buy one of the short chambered 7x57 barrels and hand ream it to fit? I keep looking at those myself for a small ring Mauser that action I have. I can't make my mind up whether to go with the 7x57 or 6.5x55. At less than $90 each it would be smart to get both. :)

Yeah, that is wild that any barrel get's worn out anymore. Very few people live somewhere that allows them to shoot that much. I love the slick smooth feel of those old Mauser actions. The military 2 stage triggers are hard to get used to though. In fact I did like you did and changed the trigger out. I used the standard Timney Sportsman for mine. Glass bedding and a home made action pillar made from the body of an old bolt turned on my lathe and it shoots a lot better than such a pile of junk should. I love it. :)

Jcalder

I bought one of the short chambered barrels. I originally thought I had a 96. Upon further observation I realized I had either a 93/95. The difference is one has a flat bolt on the bottom and the other is round. I was originally gonna go 6.5x55 but I couldn't find a barrel without going to one of the expensive models. Finally midway got some of the 7x57 in stock so I picked it up. I talked to a smith the other day and he won't finish reaming. So I'm gonna see if a cousin will help me with it. I'm trying to gain knowledge during all this and would love to eventually do more of it myself. I did not see 6.5x55 offered for $90. But they may get more in stock.

The 243 had enough rounds loaded thru it that the bottom of the barrel has a wore place in it.

Hunter 257W

I just went through Midway's site and found all the products to install one of these barrels and the bottom line is that a $90 barrel costs you $320 plus tax! That sort of throws some cold water on the project if doing it on the cheap is a priority. The cost that hurts most is the $120 reamer that you will only use once. I know there are some places that rent reamers so that might be a better path for the home hobbyist who only plans to do one rifle in a given chambering. Even with that, you'll need the extended T-Handle reamer wrench to be able to reach through the receiver and do the job with the barrel installed. There's no way I'd want to take the barrel off, ream then reinstall and check headspace, every time I cut a bit of metal while doing the job.

You are correct that the 6.5x55 barrels are out of stock. Same at Brownell's too.

Jcalder

Hunter 257W":2gv1eho1 said:
I just went through Midway's site and found all the products to install one of these barrels and the bottom line is that a $90 barrel costs you $320 plus tax! That sort of throws some cold water on the project if doing it on the cheap is a priority. The cost that hurts most is the $120 reamer that you will only use once. I know there are some places that rent reamers so that might be a better path for the home hobbyist who only plans to do one rifle in a given chambering. Even with that, you'll need the extended T-Handle reamer wrench to be able to reach through the receiver and do the job with the barrel installed. There's no way I'd want to take the barrel off, ream then reinstall and check headspace, every time I cut a bit of metal while doing the job.

You are correct that the 6.5x55 barrels are out of stock. Same at Brownell's too.
at this point all I need is the reamer. I've found a couple places to rent with the gauges under $50. I'll probably go that route when I get time and money. The barrel was my biggest concern. I have an action wrench and homemade barrel vise. The barrel has already been installed. I've also heard that you can use socket extensions but I really don't know. Gonna do a ton of research if I happen to tackle this myself.

Hunter 257W

Just found this reamer rental service available for only $34.

http://4-dproducts.com/product/7-x-57/

I read somewhere in a Review (maybe it was on Midway's site Reviews) where somebody had tried to use a regular 3/8" socket extension and socket but that it was far from ideal because the reamer was only fully controlled when pushing forward and cutting. I can see that happening. You might be able to rig up some electricians tape around the 3/8" square "Drive surface" of the reamer to make it stay in a socket - not sure how well that would actually work.

Jcalder

There's also another place that rents them as well. I'm thinking just getting a go gauge and can tape it for a no go.

As far as the handle I'll have to look around and see what my options are. I do have a handle for a tap but I'm not sure that'll even work.

Hunter 257W

Yeah, a Go gauge will tell you that you have met the Min and then taping the rear of the Gauge will let you know you are the thickness of the tape beyond Min. Did you notice that the link I posted above will also rent different packages with the reamer which includes various combination of gauges and they are surprising cheap when rented together? For instance $42 for Reamer and both Go & No-Go Gauges.

A standard Tap wrench should fit the reamer but the length won't be enough to reach through the receiver unless you have an unusually long Tap wrench.

Jcalder

Yes I did notice the packages and can rent the t handle. From some searches the morning I can use a 3/8 extension. You just reverse it. It'll probably be a little while before I finish chambering as my wife just delivered a baby.

Hunter 257W

You know I never thought of that about the 3/8" extension - the square drive hole in the extension should fit the reamer perfectly - no socket needed! One of those cases where I couldn't think outside the box enough to see the obvious. :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

Congratulations on the addition to the family! Sometimes it's good anyway to take these projects slowly and think it through rather than rushing in and messing up.

Jcalder

This is my whole thought on this. I've had this gun put up probably 2 years. Got the itch during deer season to bring her back to life. Eventually it will be my daughters since I've worked on it thru her pregnancy and infancy. I read on a forum about the extension trick. I'll have to make sure my extensions will fit thru the action but I may purchase a t handle anyway. I've debated on keeping the action wrench or making someone a deal.

I do have a set of dies ordered. Looking at brass and bullet options but until the woman goes back to work I'll enjoy my time with the family. Still need to find a scope and ring options. I have some rings but depending how big the eyepiece is the bolt handle may hit. The current handle is bent.

Latest posts