#7 1/2

Iglow

What's the opinion of #7 1/2s? Ive got some copper plated factory super high speed 1 3/8 oz that shoot like crap and was thinking of scavenging the shot and loading some slower 1 1/2 oz . That's 525 pellets, I was thinking at the ranges I'd shoot (30yds or so) it would just overwhelm ones head and neck with shot?

ROVERBOY

I would imagine it would probably be ok at about a max of 30 to 35 yards. Do you have any of the buffering stuff? Whatever it's called.

Remington700

I've only shot smaller shot in TSS. When I shot lead I found 5's to be very effective. You might reload them and see how it patterns and go from there.

Andy S.

If your pattern density is adequate (verified via testing), it will suffice out to 30 yards, but I'd personally try to make sure he was 25 or less just to have a margin of error incase my emotions overwhelmed my ability to accurate estimate distance. Good luck!

Iglow

If your pattern density is adequate (verified via testing), it will suffice out to 30 yards, but I'd personally try to make sure he was 25 or less just to have a margin of error incase my emotions overwhelmed my ability to accurate estimate distance. Good luck!
I try to use the bead size vs his head to judge distance, if it looks noticable smaller than the bead he's too far.

Iglow

Someone years ago told me they killed one at 25 yards with a #8 load.
I shot the oldest gobbler I ever got with a 410 and 3" Winchester lead 7 1/2. There was no calling except before they flew down. I knew their travel pattern and I intercepted them, his lookout crew of 4 hens led him right by me. I never even moved the gun, he just walked in front of it at 18 yds and I pulled the trigger, never beat a wing.

Last edited:

knightrider

Weren't the 20-gauge federal heavyweights 7's? I've got a box or two but am too lazy right now to dig them out of the safe and look.
Yes they were, but a big difference in heavyweight 7 and copper plated lead 7.5's, but no reason the 7.5 wouldnt work under thirty if the pattern is there

TheLBLman

Weren't the 20-gauge federal heavyweights 7's? I've got a box or two but am too lazy right now to dig them out of the safe and look.
The original Federal "Heavyweights" were some type of HTL tungsten, but not as "heavy" as Federal's current TSS pellets. Those original "heavyweights" were closer to a #5 lead in terms of penetration & weight. I saw two longbeards die from them this past weekend.

I've killed either 3 or 4 longbeards with #7 1/2 lead in times long past. My reason for using 7 1/2 lead was because I was using guns more suitable for quail than turkeys. The more open chokes and #7 1/2 lead was very adequate out to about 30 yds (head/neck shots only). And, that era pre-dated today's superior HTL and TSS specialized turkey shells.

IMO, #7 1/2 lead loses too much of its penetration/energy to be very effective beyond 35 yds, although no doubt many turkeys have been killed with it at 40 yds & beyond.

Considering how few shells need by fired for an annual limit of turkey,
the cost of far superior TSS loads seems reasonable.

Save your 7 1/2 lead for smaller birds or sporting clays.

TheLBLman

I tried a Winchester super x 2 3/4" #5 - 1 1/2 oz yesterday and got 11 pellets in neck bone and 3 in skull at 40yd.
For many years, that was my exact "go-to" turkey shell.
My first "dedicated turkey" gun was a lightweight side-by-side factory bored (no choke tubes) "extra full" & "full". It had 2 3/4" chambers.

It was basically a European "bird" gun for upland game.
If I could have found a practical way of mounting a low-magnification traditional shotgun scope on it,
that might still be my go-to turkey gun.

Iglow

Well,…. I believe I'll stick with the #5s

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    653.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts