4wheelers and deer

LY

We've got several stands where we park within 30 yards of ground blinds including one that's parked within 10' and one climber where we park at the base of the tree and yet another where we park under a tower stand. Has it made a difference in the deer we see, maybe, but we've also see and kill 130ish from at least a couple of those stands each year.

Our property is thick and none of the atv's are visible to the deer in the shooting lanes and that probably makes a difference to a point. But on the other hand on an old lease we had there was a nice buck killed a hundred yards away as it stood looking at an atv and he had to wait for it to move so he wouldn't hit his atv.

I've also got a friend who hunts TVA land around the lakes and he's never more than 35 yards from his boat and once had to do the same thing and wait for a buck to move so he wouldn't hit his boat.

If they are hidden and down wind I don't see the problem, Yea they will spook when you first ride up, but in my experience they do that when I walk up and climb into my stand too. You'd be amazed at how quickly they will come back out after I pull up behind my blind and I've had multiple occasions where they never left, they stared real hard but they stayed.

After thirty minutes any deer passing through was most likely too far away to have heard it or at least far enough away to not be bothered by it.

Bgoodman30

I used my SxS this weekend because I figured it would be better than walking a mile and dripping sweat...

westtntoms

I used to have a favorite stand, 25ft homemade ladder stand. Set up on a main path on our land. Countless times I would be in it, guys would drive in and out. The deer would bed down just off the path, less than a minute later the deer would get up and walk across the road. They become conditioned to any motorized vehicle, trucks, 4 wheelers, tractors, etc.

Thekla

PLEASE keep using 4 wheelers, ESPECIALLY if you near my place!!! ;)
I second that.. neighbors came through on an atv Saturady and sent one my way.

Attachments

• 2020110795175241.jpg
    2020110795175241.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 57

JeepKuntry

May be coincidence, but last year I parked my atv in a spot and saw 0 deer there. Ran cams back that way for 2 months. No activity whatsoever. This year I have a 115-120" 8 pt and does on cam from that spot now that I walk in.

MUP

May be coincidence, but last year I parked my atv in a spot and saw 0 deer there. Ran cams back that way for 2 months. No activity whatsoever. This year I have a 115-120" 8 pt and does on cam from that spot now that I walk in.
I've done the same thing with my truck. I used to park it within 200yds on an old logging road and walk from there, but bc of a fallen tree a few years ago I had to park another couple hundred yards back up the old road. I had a camera there where I used to park and ended up seeing that deer were crossing there where I had been parking. I now park way away and walk farther. Deer were skirting around my truck and going away from where I was in my stand.

catman529

We've got several stands where we park within 30 yards of ground blinds including one that's parked within 10' and one climber where we park at the base of the tree and yet another where we park under a tower stand. Has it made a difference in the deer we see, maybe, but we've also see and kill 130ish from at least a couple of those stands each year.

Our property is thick and none of the atv's are visible to the deer in the shooting lanes and that probably makes a difference to a point. But on the other hand on an old lease we had there was a nice buck killed a hundred yards away as it stood looking at an atv and he had to wait for it to move so he wouldn't hit his atv.

I've also got a friend who hunts TVA land around the lakes and he's never more than 35 yards from his boat and once had to do the same thing and wait for a buck to move so he wouldn't hit his boat.

If they are hidden and down wind I don't see the problem, Yea they will spook when you first ride up, but in my experience they do that when I walk up and climb into my stand too. You'd be amazed at how quickly they will come back out after I pull up behind my blind and I've had multiple occasions where they never left, they stared real hard but they stayed.

After thirty minutes any deer passing through was most likely too far away to have heard it or at least far enough away to not be bothered by it.
Those lakeside deer are so used to fishermen and pleasure boaters, they don't think much of it

JCDEERMAN

I've done the same thing with my truck. I used to park it within 200yds on an old logging road and walk from there, but bc of a fallen tree a few years ago I had to park another couple hundred yards back up the old road. I had a camera there where I used to park and ended up seeing that deer were crossing there where I had been parking. I now park way away and walk farther. Deer were skirting around my truck and going away from where I was in my stand.
Yep same here - if I know deer cross in a location, I won't park my golf cart there, I'll put it 100 or so yards away in an area the deer are less likely to travel. Likewise to you, some of these locations funnel deer right to where I would get a shot out of my stand, even if my stand is 300 yards from that location. Hence - I don't want to alter the deer movement (decreasing my odds) before I even get my boots in the dirt.

Latest posts