450 bushmaster

CHRIS WILSON

What size barrel would you all prefer if I have someone build me one? 20 is what I'm thinking.
A 20" barrel will probably give you a slight bump in velocity compared to the 18" and will tame the noise level just a bit more. Short barrels can be notoriously LOUD. I'm a sucker for short barrels on a general purpose hunting rifle. I just like the way they balance and handle. My lever action Henry 45-70 sports an 18" barrel. My Ruger 450 BM has a 16" barrel. With the muzzle brake in place, it's actually closer to 18" overall. If I was going to have one custom built, I'd probably go with an 18". For the area's I use the bigger bore calibers for, I don't see a longer barrel really providing much of any advantage.

Atchman2

I built a .450 Bushmaster AR. I call it my "dinosaur gun". The bullets look like mini rifle grenades! Never used it on a deer though, only hogs. It does a dandy job on hogs, but most things do with proper shot placement.

morgancountry

Is there much difference in recoil for a 10 year old
I got a Ruger American youth ranch in .350 for my 8 year old last year. He's small for his age 50" tall. Maybe 50 pounds lol. All he had ever shot was 22 and he shot the 350 just fine. It's the same as a .223 recoil wise. I love that little gun and use it as mountain gun for me too.

Remi

I have an Axis II 18" barrel in 350 legend. Short, light and very accurate. The only thing I don't like is the rifle itself. I just can't like a Savage action. Mine shoots and carries so good I use it all the time though.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpeg
    IMG_0979.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 22

Bone Collector

I had to research a little to see what the big deal was. Evidently, there are states that only allow straight-walled cartridges when hunting with rifles and this round fits the bill. Interesting; I don't know if I'm the only one that did not know that.
I'm going to IL this year in November. Got a gun tag for the first gun season. Will be using my 12 ga slug gun. I am not buying a .300 blackout or .350 legend to hunt a couple of days.

IL was a shotgun only state for a while. They just went to the straight wall cartridge stuff. It is weird and kinda hard to understand. Like you can use a 45-70, but not a 30-30??? Remember 45-70 comes in lever action. They may have it written to where you can only use a single shot on that caliber, some calibers that is the case.

Latest posts