300 win mag, thoughts?

Huntaholic

Im way late to this party but let me put it this way: I own pretty much everything from a 243 to a 300 RUM to a 375 H&H, 308s, 708s, 270s, 7mags, etc.... The absolute LAST rifle I would ever part with is my 300 win mag.

billyboy

I've hunted with my A-Bolt 300 for 30 years. #1 go-to rifle for anything in the northern hemisphere. Shooting 180 Accubonds or 168 Barnes TTSX for less meat damage on deer.

casjoker

Finally, purchased a Mossberg Patriot Walnut stock and put a Vortex Diamondback 3-9 BDC. I also installed a muzzle break (can't remember the name right this minute). Honestly, for this rifle, the muzzle brake isn't needed and the rifle weighs just over 8lbs without the brake. Recoil without the muzzle brake is definitely noticeable, especially compared to a 308 however I could shoot a box of 20 rounds without it, and no worries. With the break on, 3 boxes of ammo weren't bad at all. Think 308 range of recoil. However, it is significantly louder for the shooter and those close by. I would say the 300 win mag is a keeper for sure. Using Core Lokt 180 soft points for now and glad I could find a few boxes of those.

jlanecr500

308 does a good job.The most versatile is the 06. Have more than one. The 300wm stays in the safe incase I ever do get an elk draw. Got a sweet 338wm from Kimber that shoots bug holes with handloads. Punches a bigger hole. Bigger holes provide for quicker bleedout and less tracking.

I've got a true friend on this site that I met here in the smokeless forum. When we first started shooting our Savage sml's and 45'70 conversions together and experimenting with loads, I told him my motto is "bigger is better" but he disagreed kinda. We graduated from those Savage 50's to custom 45's and I've continued to 40's. There ain't nothing like punching holes with a 300 gr high bc 40 cal projectile at 3000 fps from a front stuffer. Well, we've hunted and shot together for several years now and I noted last year that he now agrees. While he still has 7mm and 30 cal cartridges, I now see him with 35 Whelen, 450 bushmaster, 350 legend, 45-70 conversions, and of course the 45 smokeless ml land cannons.

Bigger is better......if your shoulder can handle it.

mike243

I like the 150g corelocks for white tails, if I were after bigger bodied deer than we have here or elk ect a 180+ would get used. you will love it, deer don't make but a jump or 2 most of the time, have had 2 heart shot that ran 100y or so, tough deer but there wasn't any blood left in them when they fell

OldFart

I live out West (CO) and have for 44 yrs this time plus 3 yrs another time. I have probably harvested over a dozen elk and one moose. The .308 and also 30 06 will kill an elk. A 2 - 4 inch longer barrel on the .308 and careful selection of ammo will place it very close to the 30 06. I would consider the 7mm 08 extremely light for the bigger animals. But I shoot a .338 for elk and moose. Dropping power is much better with the .338. The last elk I shot with the .338, it fell like it was hit with a sledge hammer in the head, I do have a muzzle brake on the big boy and it kicks less than my 30 06. A muzzle brake makes a world of difference. Although I shoot the '06 without a brake, I would highly recommend a brake for the 300 WIN Mag. I'm highly considering working up a load for TN deer for the .338 (maybe 200 or 210 g Nosler Partitions) since I have better glass on it. Anyone have any experience with the like? Good Luck and GOD Bless for your Western trip.

Last edited:

drawforce

F6116C6E-42C5-450A-B3FC-28039A66CF13.jpeg
Here's my .300 it doesn't kick to bad

Grill-n-man

Had 2 300wm in my life and both shot great and did an excellent job at killing deer. But was just to much gun for the deer and distances around here, well for me anyway. But here is a thought, I ran into a fellow a couple years back who hunts deer in this general area but also goes out west each year for elk and mulies. He wanted one gun to do it all so went with the 300 with a twist. For deer he shoots Hornady custom lite and when he heads out west he shoots the good stuff. From what I remember there is about 5-6 clicks on elevation on his scope is all. Not a bad idea at all for a one gun do it all purpose

redblood

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 300 WM with a 6-24x50 Vortex HST and added a muzzle break. I have a hand load in a 180 gr hornady interlock that runs 3000 FPS+. It will shoot 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards and it's a pleasure to shoot. I don't use it for southern whitetails, but it's going on a moose hunt this fall. The outfitter told me the 300 wm was the right gun for this hunt.
Very nice rig, but i wouldnt want a scope that lowest setting is 6x, especially in bear country.

Rackseeker

they are great calibers but do have a couple drawbacks. They are belted and have a very short neck, which makes bullet seating and reloading a but more difficult
I have never had a problem reloading for my 300 win mags. (target and hunting rifle) Nothing like touching a 300 win mag off on a cold crisp morning in the mountains.

Forvols

I trimmed down my lot a few years and the one gun I wished I had not sold was a late 70s Ruger model 77 in 300winmag, topped with a Leupold 4-16x44 scope. I kept a REM 700 in 30-06 and since added a 308. But hindsight I should have kept the Ruger too. 300winmag is a very versatile caliber especially if you reload

Latest posts