300 win mag, thoughts?

casjoker

Debating between getting another 308 or 7mm-08 (I have one of each currently) or saying the heck with it and going biggy and getting a 300 win mag. Whichever caliber I go with I am leaning towards the Mossberg Patriot, with the walnut stock. Wood stocks are calling my name lately. It would be used mostly for dear and possibly a couple of trips out west in the next few years if I can get my stuff together for an elk hunt, maybe North East Moose hunt.

I know both the 308 and 7mm-08 are capable of handling elk or moose. The 300 would be more of a want than a need. I know it's overkill for deer and a little worried about overkill on my shoulder but one of those calibers that have been rolling around in my want list for a few years.

dgolden

In my opinion there is no such thing as overkill. Lol
I love my tikka 300 win mag. It's been the go to gun for deer ever since I got it. I was fortunate enough to take an elk with it in 2018 at 420 yards. My buddy shot an elk with his 308 and never recovered it. He ended up shooting another one a few days later, but he was wishing he would have brought something bigger after wounding one. Just my 2 cents!!

Rakkin6

I have a .300 Win Mag and has long has you make a good shot not a lot of meat damage. I don't eat the lungs or heart, sometimes I give the high shoulder shot also. I say get a .300 and you will never need another gun for North America unless you go for some Kodiak in Alaska. Also for deer go with a heavier bullet minimum 180 grains. Lighter bullets tend to blow up at the speeds the .300 shoots.

JeepKuntry

Why not go the middle route and get a 28 nosler? Of course you have fewer manufacturer options but it's a quality round.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I've had the chance to shoot that exact gun at the range one time. It's sweet. For me .300 Win Mag is probably the most recoil I can shoot comfortably.

I echo the point about shooting heavier bullets. It's not the same, but I remember my dad's 7mm Mag with 140 grain soft points was just leaving ridiculous entry and exit wounds on little Southern deer. Felt more appropriate on muleys out West, since bucks weigh in over 200lbs regularly.

But if you can't get 180gr or 200+ grain bullets (and with the long range shooting trends, there ought to be plenty of heavy-for-caliber factory offerings now), another option is to go with a bonded bullet. Federal Fusions aren't *that* much more expensive than the Federal Powershoks/Non-Typicals.

casjoker

Redblood, agree and but mine doesn't hold the tightest group so consideration of another. My 308 is a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade and the stock is too nice to really do much than sit in a blind on a sunny day. So good excuse to get another 308. I think I am going with the 300 win mag this spring. Then add the 308 and 7mm-08 later this year. Thanks for all the feedback.

1 good shot

Have you ever shot a 300?
My suggestion is try before you buy.
If you're in the west Tennessee area come on by and I'll let you shoot mine. It a browning but it will let you know how you like that caliber

Lost Lake

If I knew I'd regularly be needing the reach that magnums provide, I'd get the 300WM.

Other than that, I'd go with something that burns less powder.

But, if you just want to scratch an itch, heck go for it.

I hunt deer sometimes with Big Bore rounds and I like em.

casjoker

Good shoot I appreciate the offer but I am in East, TN. I have shot a 7mag a bunch. In my dad's Ruger all weather it was punishing. No recoil pad and lightweight. In my Remington 700, it was pretty manageable. I know the 300 has a bit more kick than a 7 mag but I am thinking in an 8lbs+ rifle it should be tolerable.

MUP

Good shoot I appreciate the offer but I am in East, TN. I have shot a 7mag a bunch. In my dad's Ruger all weather it was punishing. No recoil pad and lightweight. In my Remington 700, it was pretty manageable. I know the 300 has a bit more kick than a 7 mag but I am thinking in an 8lbs+ rifle it should be tolerable.
Where bouts on the East side? I could let you shoot one of mine even.

Claims Rep.

I owned a 300 WIN MAG just long enough to realize I wanted no part of it. I literally shot it 5 times at the range, and sold it the next week. Massive overkill for deer hunting. I mainly hunt with a 7mm-08, but occasionally will tote one of two 30-06's that I have. To each his own, but there ain't no way I need a cannon like that to deer hunt.

Rakkin6

The recoil is pretty good but I installed an aftermarket recoil pad on my model 700 and that helped. When I go to the range to zero I wear a shooters pad on my shoulder. But I do the same with my slug guns. I hunt 80% of the time on Fort Campbell which is shotgun only. I think shooting a 3" slug is worse than my .300. After you are zeroed you will only take a few shots a year so it's not that bad with either.

Gameking

Another vote for the 300 Win Mag. I own a 300 Wby and a 300 Win Mag. Both were wants for me as well And I love them both for whitetail.

I also own Mossberg Patriots with wood stock in 30-06 and 270 Win. Both are great shooters. Solid built rifles for the price. No complaints with either.

You'll lose a few feet per second from most published 300 Win mag ballistic data because the patriot will have a 24" barrel instead of 26" but you'll still have PLENTY of horsepower for what you want to do.

Latest posts