25-06?

Kimberman

The only one I have played with was my wifes great uncles gun in Nevada. It is a custom FN 98 Mauser action with a Douglas barrel with an old Leupy 2-7 Vari X 2. I was surprised at how little the gun kicked, I would compare it to a .243. I was shooting at a 64 ounce detergent bottle and a 12 ounce Coke can at 400-450 yards. Connecting with the detergent bottle was easy, the Coke can was a little tougher. The round shoots very flat, hold over at that range was only about 10 inches with a 3" high sight in @ 100. A higher magnification scope and some clearer optics would have made life a little easier, but I loved the setup and the round.

A

Anonymous

thats what i have been shooting the last couple of years. It Is an awesome caliber. Ive shot them from 50 to 250 yards and never had one run over 20 yards.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
That's what I'm shooting right now because of the head. I needed something light in the recoil department and already had a Ruger Varmint Model. I've never shot a deer with it but I'm going to get to hunt the last couple of weeks of the season and if I find one I'll let you know how it does. I'm shooting the 100gr. ballistic tip and 100 gr. partition. I've not chronographed the partitions but the ballistic tips are doing 3440fps.. Recoil is still very mild. I'm only going to use them in box blinds at long range.

Hogbear

My brother guided elk hunters in Colorado and Idaho back in the '80's and early 90's and his only rifle back then was a Ruger 77 in .25-06 with a 24" varmint barrel. He's killed truckloads of elk and mule deer with that thing using 120 grain Nosler partitions. He doesn't guide anymore but he still uses the rifle on whitetails in Alabama with Remington 100 grain core-lokts.

Personally, I prefer a .243 for Southern whitetails but the .25-06 will certainly do the job.

mr.big

its the BEST EVER ground hog and yote load with 75 gr bullets at 3700+

for deer,depends,I`ve killed well over 100 with it but to get maximum range from the bullets available you got to go 100 gr at over 3400 as the 117`s Suck in the BC department,,

Nosler needs to run a 130 Ab or Berger a 125 VLD

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Whelen Man said:
That's what I'm shooting right now because of the head. I needed something light in the recoil department and already had a Ruger Varmint Model. I've never shot a deer with it but I'm going to get to hunt the last couple of weeks of the season and if I find one I'll let you know how it does. I'm shooting the 100gr. ballistic tip and 100 gr. partition. I've not chronographed the partitions but the ballistic tips are doing 3440fps.. Recoil is still very mild. I'm only going to use them in box blinds at long range.

Yeah I quoted myself.
I connected with an 8 pointer this morning with the 25/06... my first with this caliber. I was pleased. It was with the ballistic tip at 3440fps and I was pleasantly surprised. Buck was hit broadside at about 100 yards. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. He started to stumble after only 20 or 30 yards. I really didn't expect an exit with a ballistic tip at that speed but it did. That was a pleasant surprise because I was a little wary of those bullets at that velocity. I still don't think I'd want to hit one at 25 yards with the same load.

Collector

Gunsmith is loading me some 100gr. BTHPs right now. Called and said he needed more brass. Guess i'm in the hunt for some now. Hate to shoot up 30-06 hand loads just for brass.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
What kind of 100gr. BTHP bullets is the gunsmith loading? Some such as the Sierra are not recommended for game. Berger is now recommending it's VLD match hollow points for game though. You might want to check just to be sure.

Collector

I misunderstood him. There 100gr. nosler partitions. Sorry about that. Has anyone tried these on game before? The 180gr. worked well in my 300RUM.

KANATI McD

i bough one last year (25-06) i am very pleased. ive killed 7 deer with it in the past two years, which i took my personal best shot (334 yards) doe dropped after about 20 yards. the bullet uses all of its energy inside the deer making it deadly, i havent had one go over 40 yards yet

Tiny

Whelen Man said:
Whelen Man said:

Yeah I quoted myself.
I connected with an 8 pointer this morning with the 25/06... my first with this caliber. I was pleased. It was with the ballistic tip at 3440fps and I was pleasantly surprised. Buck was hit broadside at about 100 yards. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. He started to stumble after only 20 or 30 yards. I really didn't expect an exit with a ballistic tip at that speed but it did. That was a pleasant surprise because I was a little wary of those bullets at that velocity. I still don't think I'd want to hit one at 25 yards with the same load.

Congrats.
One thing I have learned on the BT's is you never know what you will get with them,speaking of exit holes. ;)

UpandAt'em

[color:#FF0000]My brother guided elk hunters in Colorado and Idaho back in the '80's and early 90's and his only rifle back then was a Ruger 77 in .25-06 with a 24" varmint barrel. He's killed truckloads of elk and mule deer with that thing using 120 grain Nosler partitions. He doesn't guide anymore but he still uses the rifle on whitetails in Alabama with Remington 100 grain core-lokts.

Personally, I prefer a .243 for Southern whitetails but the .25-06 will certainly do the job. [/color]

The Ruger 77 25-06 is a sweet gun. That's all I've ever used hunting Whitetail. It's comfortable to me, kinda like an old dog or your favorite jeans. My last Buck ran approx. 30 yards after a 75 yard shot. A Doe the year before didn't take a step when I put one behind her left ear. And my only Bobcat got a last jump in after taking a 100 grain through her left eye at about 80 yds.

Locksley

Tiny said:
Whelen Man said:
Whelen Man said:

Yeah I quoted myself.

Congrats.
One thing I have learned on the BT's is you never know what you will get with them,speaking of exit holes. ;)

UpandAt'em said:
[color:#FF0000]My brother guided elk hunters in Colorado and Idaho back in the '80's and early 90's and his only rifle back then was a Ruger 77 in .25-06 with a 24" varmint barrel. He's killed truckloads of elk and mule deer with that thing using 120 grain Nosler partitions. He doesn't guide anymore but he still uses the rifle on whitetails in Alabama with Remington 100 grain core-lokts.

Personally, I prefer a .243 for Southern whitetails but the .25-06 will certainly do the job. [/color]

The Ruger 77 25-06 is a sweet gun. That's all I've ever used hunting Whitetail. It's comfortable to me, kinda like an old dog or your favorite jeans. My last Buck ran approx. 30 yards after a 75 yard shot. A Doe the year before didn't take a step when I put one behind her left ear. And my only Bobcat got a last jump in after taking a 100 grain through her left eye at about 80 yds.

The only one 25/06 I have played with was my friend Craigs gun a Ruger in 25/06 . It was good for ground-hogs and deer but he eventually got a 280 for deer and traded the 25/06 in.
The 25/06 was created as a super 257 Robert to be even faster and be suitable for the varmints and deer back when the coyotes had not arrived in the East and there were still some varmints to hunt.
I once found two 257 Robert shell casings on a canyon overlook in Colorado and I thought what a story those casing must hold I wonder if the guy got the deer he was after that day in the past.

Squatchy

I shoot a 25-06 for whitetails and love it. I know they are expensive but I load 100 gr. Barnes tsx's and they are terrific. I shot a doe a couple of years ago facing me, bullet entered just under the white throat patch and exited to the left of her milk sac inside the ham. She never left her tracks. The Barnes and Partitions are the only bullets I personally trust for anything other than broadside shots on deer sized game.

Svalley

I have 3 of them keep buying other calibers and keep going back to the 25-06 i think it is the best all around gun you can get its not to big for ground hogs or coyotes and just right for deer i shot nbt 85 gr running about 3600 fps you can kill any thing with it

Collector

What kind of ballistics can I expect? They are loaded with 50gr. IMR4350, rem. primer, 24in. barrel.

Latest posts