Next project 25-06

mr.big

My first rifle was an A prefix 700BDL 25-06 Daddy bought me when I was 12 years old in 1979 , shot the crap out of it and had it rebarreled with a 2 1/2 contour Shaw bbl in 1989 , I shot the crap out of it some more and it was still the only rifle I had in 1995 when I retired it and started hunting with other rifles I bought and traded for ,,
That Shaw bbl is toast and I'm finally at a point I'm gonna have it redone and maybe pass it down.

It's on its way to Douglas barrels and they're gonna contour a new barrel to match the Shaw so it will fit just right in the stock that had to be opened up
This time it's gonna be a stainless match grade bbl with a bead blasted finish mated to the blued 700 action in the walnut BDL stock. I think it'll look pretty snazzy ,,kinda like the Cooper rifles.
It's gonna be a 7 1/2 twist 25-06 26 inches long throated for the new 133-135 Bergers and 134 gr Hornady bullets ,, I thought about doin a 6.5-284 or a 6.5-06 but for old time sake a 25-06 it's gonna stay.
I haven't decided for sure on optics but it had a straight 6x Redfield for ever but it's kinda cloudy so maybe I can find a straight 6x Leupold with the 42 mm lens in a gloss finish
There will be pics in 6-8 weeks when it gets back.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

Was the riflings toast or just the throat ?

Hard to imagine riflings being toast unless you groundhog hunt and have over 4k rounds through through that??

But ur plans sound great. 25/06 is a great round. Especially if u have a 30/06 as a compliment . You will always have brass .

mr.big

Was the riflings toast or just the throat ?

Hard to imagine riflings being toast unless you groundhog hunt and have over 4k rounds through through that??

But ur plans sound great. 25/06 is a great round. Especially if u have a 30/06 as a compliment . You will always have brass .
There's no telling how many rounds on that bbl. It'll still shoot about an inch but the same 100 gr load that used to be at 3420 fps is at 3200 and there's no rifling's for about 2 1/2 inches.

PillsburyDoughboy

There's no telling how many rounds on that bbl. It'll still shoot about an inch but the same 100 gr load that used to be at 3420 fps is at 3200 and there's no rifling's for about 2 1/2 inches.
Wow if it's still.ahooting 1 inch groups I would not throw the baby out with the bathwater. No rifling for 2 1/2 inches ? On the throat end or muzzle end ? Either way you could try cutting what you have and see if it still shoots good. Just thinking outlook. You probably won't lose more than 100 FPS. And it's anyone's guess. Shorter stiffer barrel sometime produce better groups. Never know.

If your just wanting a new barrel then go for it.

DaveB

This is a great caliber. The quarter round has a huge following and not by accident. the 257 Weatherby was in his top 5 first calibers. Can't wait for some range results. should be a sweet shooter.

Told this story before....A really advanced in age fellow sat next to us at MSSA and uncased an old bolt I did not recognize. I had my boys run his target to the 100 line and while they were taking their time we yakked. It was a 25/06 he had had for 'some time' and he was fond of it. Boys get back, range is hot, he loads and fires 3 rounds pretty much bang click click bang click click bang. Son looking through spotting scope says Dad, he clovered it. Old fellow says that oughta do it, packs up, I tell him we'll bring the target back.

Latest posts