223???

remke

O.K.
here is what I want, and I will tell you why. Yall tell me if I'm off base??

I am looking for a 223, for mainly yotes, but I might go prairy dog hunting in a few years, and I can't handle taking the 300RUM, but that would be funny :crazy:
I am use too a bolt action, but a buddy said his AR can reach out to around 600yd and smoke a dog.
So sould I go with that "Style" of riffle, or would a $600 bolt action reach out that that with great accuracy.

any ideas? I know the Remmy is a great 1, but the $$$$

TAS

TiminTN said:
Tikka T3 Varmint, Savage, or Remington will serve you well, and dust your buddies britches with the AR platform.

Ditto, and the cost to get an AR to shoot even close to a good bolt gun will cost you alot more money.

Kimberman

If money is a factor, avoid the AR platform like the plague. To get one to shoot anywhere near as well as a good bolt gun it will cost you twice as much as the bolt will...then you have optics to consider. Bolt gun + good optics would be about the same $ as an accurized AR without optics.

I have a Bushmaster Predator setup for coyotes and it is a 2" gun at 300yds off a bench, but for what I have in it you can get a better long range bolt gun, for pure accuracy, not fun. You need to read up on the different twist rates that are available in 223 barrels, some are for heavier bullets (1 in 7) or (1 in 8) or the slower twist are for lighter bullets. Figure out what bullet weight you plan on using and then pick the twist rate to match, some of the barrel manufacturers have charts with specs and reconmendations.

Latest posts