2023 TN season musings

Gravey

Thought that is why they moved the season back two weeks is so when they opened the hens would be bred? I think the intent was to keep so many residents and non residents from setting up camp after they kill a bird on an already heavily pressured WMA. At least I thought that was what they had said about that rule when they proposed it.
I get what you're saying, but what about the 2 week delay. That is supposed to be to allow for breeding. If so, why only allow 1 in the first 2 weeks on public. I know there is logic to what you are saying, and I see birds strutting with hens still, but to start season, shoot one then have to sit it out if you have no where else to go, or go sit and watch hens and listen to birds chirp on private with no turkeys seems ridiculous.

The pressure is high on public and seems to get worse annually, and I do not see this reducing it. This rule really doesn't do anything but punish people that are successful, IMO. If you take the time to find birds and kill 2 in the first two days or two weeks, you will be out of public by default.
Again I was playing devils advocate. Not saying it's right or wrong. For sure the 2-week delay was done for breeding purposes. Only allowing 1 in the first 2 weeks on public I'm not so sure. Just throwing it out there that it gives public land birds less pressure (maybe), less likely of getting killed early and more hens to breed. Just an idea.

Now @Bone Collector if you go sit on private land that you know doesn't have turkeys then you're a bone head! 😝😂

Latest posts