2023 TN season musings

megalomaniac

So that's a wrap...

31,854 birds killed in TN/ 3307 jakes (29,988 total/ 4597 jakes 2022). Good job on decreasing killing the babies, but more work needs to be done here for sure.

10,265 birds killed just on April 15, 16th this year

428 birds killed on May 27,28th this year (Region 1 was just as successful as Regions 3 and 4... Region 2 almost twice as many killed, but probably accounted for by higher population).

Personal experience... I had no idea just how fired up birds would be almost till June. They are definitely callable/ killable that late in the spring with plenty of gobbling still. Certainly a little more fickle/ moody (not wanting to gobble back to calls compared to mid April, but mood changes throughout the day). Densest foilage I've hunted in.. and in fact, almost impossible to see birds in uncut fescue fields right now. Harder to find birds in those fields or thick woods, but easier to get closer to them before calling. Other downside... it becomes very difficult to see the spurs before shooting compared to hunting mid April. All the complaints about ticks/ chiggers are unfounded. Never got a single tick or chigger on me this season (but my clothes were treated/ retreated/ retreated religiously with permethrin).

Absolutely LOVED the near absence of hunting pressure at the end of May. Never saw another turkey hunter on the roads between farms, never saw another vehicle parked on the neighbors hunting this weekend, never heard another shot.

Based on what the state killed this year, and what I observed, I'd LOVE to push season opening back to May 1st, run till mid June in middle TN. I don't think I would have any trouble getting on gobbling birds, likewise I don't think neither I nor the rest of middle TN would have any trouble killing those birds. Sure, purely selfish... but that would give me 6 weeks to hunt in MS from Mar 15 thru May 1, then hunt TN for 6 weeks May 1 thru June 15th. And with the kill being so frontloaded this year (its ALWAYS frontloaded... but jeez, 1/3 of the entire state kill was in the first 2 days of season this year!!!! (10,265 to be exact), another 20,000 toms would be allowed to live until May 1st for breeding. I was amazed at how many hens were still unbred April 15th, and how many toms were henned up all the way until May.

I do think the 2 bird limit allowed a greater percentage of toms to survive the season compared to years past (went to a different farm yesterday morning without a gun and called in 2 toms), and based on what it is still walking on my other farms, next year should be a great year as well.

covered a LOT of ground this weekend in the truck and on tractors, didn't see many hens out and about (hopefully most are setting), but none of the ones out had poults. Did find one setting 5y off a blacktop road just down from the farmhouse. We didn't hit a single nest during 1st cutting of hay (average 3 per year, with the worst season being 9 hit). Talked to the farmers around us, none of them have seen poults yet. (normal for our area, as they usually don't start setting until 1st week of May, so I hope this week and the next week to have a great hatch). The small (2-5) groups of jakes have joined up together into large bachelor groups (7-9), but the gobblers still haven't bunched back up into their bachelor groups yet as of this weekend... every tom I saw was close to hens.

In short, I really enjoyed being able to hunt so late into the spring, looks like Memorial Day weekend will become a turkey hunting weekend for me from here on out. I'd HIGHLY recommend you guys save a tag for next year or don't give up because the 'turkeys are done by May 1st'... not even remotely close!

knightrider

I wouldnt mind to see the jakes taken completely away except for 1 per juvenile, i know i know, something i never thought i would say 😁 ive been known to crack a few of ems noggins😂 , as far as the two week delay i still dont like it for selfish reasons😂, we had a good season with my household filling all their tags as normal, and got to see a few friends bust some beaks as well! I already miss it but am enjoying the sleep😂

Andy S.

Good recap and summary, but likely a VERY localized point of view in a target rich environment (Region 2, middle TN, higher populations and cooler temps when compared to SW TN, generally speaking), yet TFWC/TWRA sets a single season for 95 counties that are 400 miles apart (east to west).

As for late season (end of May) in SW TN, I was most impressed with some gobblers gobbling day to day and still courting a single hen to a few hens most mornings, and the beyond ideal weather/temps/lack of humidity the last 10-14 days of season. For SW TN (very localized POV), the ideal weather is an anomaly when looking at historical averages, so would not count on it again in out years if you so choose to keep a tag until end of season in SW TN. Warm with muggy dense air is more the norm for us in late May. I saw my first poults this weekend, so hoping and praying for warmer drier conditions to aid in their survival.

32k kill is solid with a 2 bird limit. More than a 1/3 killed (11.6k) the first 48 hours and 3/4 season total killed (24k birds) the first two weeks of the season (end of April). The last 30 days of season resulted in 6k birds killed statewide, with Maury county killing more in May (242) than THIRTY FIVE (35) other counties killed all season.

Last edited:

rem270

I tagged out in TN on 5-14 and it was the only morning I hunted this one property I can see and hear from the house. Been watching 4 jakes almost daily and there was a bird hammering all weekend over there this past weekend. Not saying I wouldn't have chased them up until the last day but with the heat wave we had Mother's Day weekend and a couple days after I was glad to not be chasing them. But the cooler temps this past weekend wouldn't have bothered me to stay after them and just going off of what I heard I feel like they would have responded well.

Selfish enough I liked getting an early start in April and that was ONLY because I could jump to KY when it opened and bounce back and forth. I had to pick and choose where to go but that was just my personal preference. Going off of here I'd say there were more folks hunting than I figured would have at the end of May.

No matter what happens I'll be there when season opens and stick it out until the end if need be.

rem270

We don't need to do anything to attract out of staters. They have become bold. They don't want to take no for an answer. Look out!
I would trust a whole lot more out of staters then I would a lot of the locals. I know a big group of Alabama guys that come to ky every year and they are as good as they come. But I do see what you mean, especially when it comes to public land.

Newt

My opinion for what it's worth.. I wish they would run a 4 week season April 15-may 15 I am fine with a 2 bird limit preferably zero Jake's I know that's a long shot. I love turkey and would hunt wherever whenever there is a season but most of all I want to be able to take my kids and continue to hear one gobble when I am an old man. Not like the grouse have disappeared. Hunted two other states public land this spring with a one bird limit and shorter season than TN and the quality of the hunts are always fantastic

deerfever

Compromise! Move it back a week . For instance this past year April 1 would have been juvenile, April 8th opening day. Worried about Non residents don't let them stop opening day. Make opening week residents only on public or simply open public land a week later like Alabama does which would have been April 15th. We have had two great hatches in a row with our old opener , with the right weather we will have another great hatch this year just like the last two. Give me more of April and less of May! Just my thoughts

Kelljp

Great season, didn't hear as much gobbling, but did tag out. Late May was a work in progress as to getting on birds. Early morning contact was the key, even if they were muted, they would come in to the call ( seeing birds in uncut hay and pasture fields was a new twist).

Gravey

My opinion for what it's worth.. I wish they would run a 4 week season April 15-may 15 I am fine with a 2 bird limit preferably zero Jake's
I could live with this. I said when it was moved back 2 weeks that my season would now be 4 weeks. That's what it was and I'm ok with that. Made it to the woods 2 mornings and 2 afternoons and killed a bird the afternoon of Mother's Day. My goal every year is one. I do wish they'd do away with bearded hens being legal.

Bone Collector

I am torn on the opening 2 weeks later, but it is for selfish reasons. I do not want to move it back further. I do not have any private land that has turkeys anymore. If I did I probably would have enjoyed the season that much more. I saw hunters on public land through last weekend and gobbling was nonexistent starting about the second weekend in May. I also disagree with the only one can be killed on public in the first two weeks. If you don't have some private with turkeys you have to go sit in silence on private, because you killed one on public in the first two weeks... its not fair to people that only have public land to hunt.

They are still strutting and gobbling on private land, but end of May is plenty warm enough and it is long over on public, so I think the delay is ok for the reasons it was implemented, but that is plenty enough and I think they should let people kill their 2 birds on public whenever it happens.

Swamp

So that's a wrap...

31,854 birds killed in TN/ 3307 jakes (29,988 total/ 4597 jakes 2022). Good job on decreasing killing the babies, but more work needs to be done here for sure.

428 birds killed on May 27,28th this year (Region 1 was just as successful as Regions 3 and 4... Region 2 almost twice as many killed, but probably accounted for by higher population).

Personal experience... I had no idea just how fired up birds would be almost till June. They are definitely callable/ killable that late in the spring with plenty of gobbling still. Certainly a little more fickle/ moody (not wanting to gobble back to calls compared to mid April, but mood changes throughout the day). Densest foilage I've hunted in.. and in fact, almost impossible to see birds in uncut fescue fields right now. Harder to find birds in those fields or thick woods, but easier to get closer to them before calling. Other downside... it becomes very difficult to see the spurs before shooting compared to hunting mid April. All the complaints about ticks/ chiggers are unfounded. Never got a single tick or chigger on me this season (but my clothes were treated/ retreated/ retreated religiously with permethrin).

Absolutely LOVED the near absence of hunting pressure at the end of May. Never saw another turkey hunter on the roads between farms, never saw another vehicle parked on the neighbors hunting this weekend, never heard another shot.

Based on what the state killed this year, and what I observed, I'd LOVE to push season opening back to May 1st, run till mid June in middle TN. I don't think I would have any trouble getting on gobbling birds, likewise I don't think neither I nor the rest of middle TN would have any trouble killing those birds. Sure, purely selfish... but that would give me 6 weeks to hunt in MS from Mar 15 thru May 1, then hunt TN for 6 weeks May 1 thru June 15th. And with the kill being so frontloaded this year (its ALWAYS frontloaded... but jeez, 1/3 of the entire state kill was in the first 2 days of season this year!!!! (10,265 to be exact), another 20,000 toms would be allowed to live until May 1st for breeding. I was amazed at how many hens were still unbred April 15th, and how many toms were henned up all the way until May.

I do think the 2 bird limit allowed a greater percentage of toms to survive the season compared to years past (went to a different farm yesterday morning without a gun and called in 2 toms), and based on what it is still walking on my other farms, next year should be a great year as well.

covered a LOT of ground this weekend in the truck and on tractors, didn't see many hens out and about (hopefully most are setting), but none of the ones out had poults. Did find one setting 5y off a blacktop road just down from the farmhouse. We didn't hit a single nest during 1st cutting of hay (average 3 per year, with the worst season being 9 hit). Talked to the farmers around us, none of them have seen poults yet. (normal for our area, as they usually don't start setting until 1st week of May, so I hope this week and the next week to have a great hatch). The small (2-5) groups of jakes have joined up together into large bachelor groups (7-9), but the gobblers still haven't bunched back up into their bachelor groups yet as of this weekend... every tom I saw was close to hens.

In short, I really enjoyed being able to hunt so late into the spring, looks like Memorial Day weekend will become a turkey hunting weekend for me from here on out. I'd HIGHLY recommend you guys save a tag for next year or don't give up because the 'turkeys are done by May 1st'... not even remotely close!
I promise you if you were in west Tennessee you would not be in favor of a May 1 opener. Give me the month of April any day. We killed our birds this year, but it was a grind.

Gravey

I also disagree with the only one can be killed on public in the first two weeks. If you don't have some private with turkeys you have to go sit in silence on private, because you killed one on public in the first two weeks... its not fair to people that only have public land to hunt.
I don't hunt public or at least haven't in several years now so playing devils advocate here. I think the rule of only being able to kill 1 in the first two weeks is to let more birds breed and hopefully survive for future seasons. It depends greatly on how much pressure the public gets but you could easily decimate the flock if lots of pressure and everybody killing 2. Just something to think about.

deerfever

I don't hunt public or at least haven't in several years now so playing devils advocate here. I think the rule of only being able to kill 1 in the first two weeks is to let more birds breed and hopefully survive for future seasons. It depends greatly on how much pressure the public gets but you could easily decimate the flock if lots of pressure and everybody killing 2. Just something to think about.
Thought that is why they moved the season back two weeks is so when they opened the hens would be bred? I think the intent was to keep so many residents and non residents from setting up camp after they kill a bird on an already heavily pressured WMA. At least I thought that was what they had said about that rule when they proposed it.

Bone Collector

I get what you're saying, but what about the 2 week delay. That is supposed to be to allow for breeding. If so, why only allow 1 in the first 2 weeks on public. I know there is logic to what you are saying, and I see birds strutting with hens still, but to start season, shoot one then have to sit it out if you have no where else to go, or go sit and watch hens and listen to birds chirp on private with no turkeys seems ridiculous.

The pressure is high on public and seems to get worse annually, and I do not see this reducing it. This rule really doesn't do anything but punish people that are successful, IMO. If you take the time to find birds and kill 2 in the first two days or two weeks, you will be out of public by default.

Bone Collector

Thought that is why they moved the season back two weeks is so when they opened the hens would be bred? I think the intent was to keep so many residents and non residents from setting up camp after they kill a bird on an already heavily pressured WMA. At least I thought that was what they had said about that rule when they proposed it.
I did notice a decrease in out of state tags and I am all for that, but if I live 20-30 minutes away I should be able to get up and go. If you travel and camp or get a hotel, then you should be able to go. The two week delay was for breeding. You can only do so much outside of just completely cancelling turkey season.

Soft Talker

So that's a wrap...

So this whole post is based off experiences with your unpressured, field "pets". How many "real" Turkeys you kill off Desoto this year.

Latest posts