20 pounds of deliciousness

BamaProud

Brought these beauties back from our weekend on the coast visiting family. Fresh from Mobile Bay where I grew up. Brown shrimp aren't my favorite, I LOVE the white shrimp available in the Fall...but the freezer was running low.

4.50/pound off the boat. 8-12 count(shrimp per pound)
From the Bay to my freezer in less than 36 hours. :)

2013-08-03170456_zpsf9c68e21.jpg

Super8

I always bring back Shrimp and smoked tuna dip.
Makes the trip worth it to the gulf

plinker22

BamaProud said:
Most will be fried. I don't mean to brag, but I make the best fried shrimp on the planet. My Dads might be close.

2012-06-19182154.jpg

Dang those look good. BRAG all you want. Yummm yummm yumm! Fried shrimp has been my favorite food since I was about 6 years old.

That truly does look like some of the best! I'm sure they taste as good as they look.

Care to share your recipe? :)

BamaProud

plinker22 said:

He He He...nope.

No seriously I think its more about how they are cooked. Most people only eat fried shrimp in Restaurants. Restaurants often cook in large batches and deep fry.

Pan fried shrimp are much better IMO. I soak them in a simple (seasoned) egg wash, use only flour(seasoned) for a batter and cook them quick in small batches in hot peanut oil. I usually have someone help me keep the "assembly line" going until they are all done.

The seasoning? Nothing special salt, Pepper, a little garlic powder and red pepper. Just don't over season, and save the salt until just after they are fried.

edited...oh and you have to start with good shrimp. That alone may be the most important part. The shrimp most restaurants serve are awful.

DaveB

Just flat out killing me. They look great. Back in the day, we dragged a net behind the boat in Miami area. Shelling and bagging a 40-gallon trash can full leaves you with a unique smell and a freezer full.

plinker22

Thanks BamaProud.
BamaProud said:
plinker22 said:

He He He...nope.

No seriously I think its more about how they are cooked. Most people only eat fried shrimp in Restaurants. Restaurants often cook in large batches and deep fry.

Pan fried shrimp are much better IMO. I soak them in a simple (seasoned) egg wash, use only flour(seasoned) for a batter and cook them quick in small batches in hot peanut oil. I usually have someone help me keep the "assembly line" going until they are all done.

The seasoning? Nothing special salt, Pepper, a little garlic powder and red pepper. Just don't over season, and save the salt until just after they are fried.

edited...oh and you have to start with good shrimp. That alone may be the most important part. The shrimp most restaurants serve are awful.

fishboy1

If you have a few extra try this.
Shell/rinse and chill some shrimp in a large tupperware container with lid.

Get a fine cheese grater and grate some fresh garlic. ( a little fresh ginger is an awesome addition as well)
Melt real butter in a sauce pan and sautee garlic for just a few minutes to mellow the flavor a little. (or you can roast garlic in the oven, mash and then mix in the butter)

Let garlic butter cool to room temp.
Remove shrimp from fridge, pour melted butter/garlic mixture and shake until the butter congeals on the cold shrimp.

Skewer and cook on a smokey grill using indirect heat. When shrimp are almost done, open the grill to let coals flame up and then lightly flash char the outside of the shrimp for just a minute or two. If you skip the indirect heat and cook directly over the coals, the butter will cause flare up leaving black soot on your shrimp and a bitter taste.