20 gauge shotgun slugs

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Anyone hunt deer with a 20 gauge? Reason I am asking, I have a 12 gauge 11-87 that has a slug barrel and a 20 gauge single shot slug gun. Have never shot a deer with the 20 but am considring getting rid of the 11-87. What are your experiences with the 20 gauge slug on deer?

Tiny

Never fired a 20 ga with slugs and only here an there in a 12ga, nor killed any deer with em.

One thing I tell you from what experience I have with them is If you have 3" chambers get 3" slugs and forget the 2 3/4. You will get your best accuracy using the right length shell for your chamber.Ran into that with my uncle's Win 1200 2 3/4" gun,only slug barrel we could find was for a 1300 and 3" chambered smooth bore.Night an day differnce between it and his 1400 an my 870 both with 2 3/4 chambered barrels.

Read an article recentaly on the Savage bolt 20 ga,don't recall the model # but they droped there 12 ga going with this one. Article was in either "Shooting Times" I beleive or possible "Rifle Shooter" by Richard Metcaff (SP) he came to the same conculsion as we did.

IF I had a Fully Rifle Barrel I would reach for the Federal offerings with Barnes Tipped 1st all other Barnes next,followed by the Wincheters and I do think they offer a 20ga XP3.

A freind of mine and some other of his family memebers have 20ga Rem 870's set up with the Remington Cooper Solid's,they like em but I haven't got any detailed on game reports other than they work.

Good Luck

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Thanks Tiny. I have shot a few deer with 12 gauge slugs but have never seen one shot with a 20 gauge slug. Wondering if they have what it takes for a clean kill.

JimFromTN

20 ga has no problem killing deer. In the shotgun only states, the 20ga is becomming the slug of choice. They are are actually flatter shooting and are more accurate at longer distances. There were some reviews of the Savage 220 bolt action shotgun in 20ga. They were getting some 2 to 3 inch groups at 200 yds and sub moa at 100 yds.

Tiny

JimFromTN said:
20 ga has no problem killing deer. In the shotgun only states, the 20ga is becomming the slug of choice. They are are actually flatter shooting and are more accurate at longer distances. There were some reviews of the Savage 220 bolt action shotgun in 20ga. They were getting some 2 to 3 inch groups at 200 yds and sub moa at 100 yds.

Thats the one mentioned in the artcile I read.

Latest posts