1911 question

Jksig229

i got some wilson combat magazines for my kimber 5 in 1911 and when i put those mags in the gun i cant hardly get the slide release to drop down so the slide will ride forward, is there a way to have that trimmed on the inside where this will be less of an issue without hurting the overall functionality of the firearm?

Grizzly Johnson

Take the Kimber mag and the Wilson mag and compare them.... I would alter the mag before the gun.... imho.

I had an issue come up buying some loose mags for my 1911. Prices were right and I was really just looking for some extra range mags while plinking.

Well most of the ones I bought were made different to where the slide wouldn't stay back when the gun was emptied out... Took the mags out and looked at them compared to the factory mag... the difference was slight, but enought to alter the slide function. Took them back and just switched them for new Kimber mags that were made the same as the ones that came with my Dan Wesson.

Jksig229

rdl65 said:
The Wilson mags have a stiffer spring and are pushing harder on the slide release.

yea that is what a buddy of mine said but i wonder if that is just something i will have to deal with or can you get the inside of that pin shaved a little without distorting the function of the firearm?

rdl65

You should never release the slide on an empty gun. You should always grab the slide, pull it to the rear, push slide release down and let the slide down easy. When empty you have the slide stop as well as the magazine follower holding, this will make it harder to work the slide release.

When loaded, the slide release is the only thing holding the slide open. The magazine follower will not be holding, making it easier to drop the slide.

Jksig229

rdl65 said:
You should never release the slide on an empty gun. You should always grab the slide, pull it to the rear, push slide release down and let the slide down easy. When empty you have the slide stop as well as the magazine follower holding, this will make it harder to work the slide release.

When loaded, the slide release is the only thing holding the slide open. The magazine follower will not be holding, making it easier to drop the slide.

problem solved thanks rdl65 you hit the nail on the head