16 Gauge?

Andy S.

If you live around my parts, one better reload or order ammo online. I am constantly looking at ammo for someone and I don't see much 16G ever. A box or two here and there, but not enough to do much hunting.

bigtex

I purchased my Ithaca Mdl 37 featherlite from Sears when I was 18 years old. Still have it after all these years. Thing kicked like a Mule! Finally cut an inch off the stock and out a recoil pad on it which tamed the recoil. Took it out of retirement a couple of years ago and killed a turkey with my handloads.
Killed many, many doves with it. Killed a lot of doubles with it by simply holding the trigger down and pumping it. I could shoot it faster than some of my friends auto loaders lol.

JDG51

I like 16 gauges, I have 6 different pumps in different manufacturers. Also a H&R topper I. One. Always wanted a A5 in one guess will be next or a remington 1100.

mike243

The only 16 I have ever shot was a sweet16, probably busted more beer bottles with it than any other 6 year old in Tnl lol

Tenntrapper

Oh, not gonna shoot slugs out of it.
My 16 gauge is old.
Your gun, your choice. My opinion is that if it's safe enough to shoot, slugs should be fine.
I've tried to get rid of these slugs for 2 years...I'll keep trying... 😂

Honestly, I would be more concerned about shooting TSS than I would slugs. Soft lead slugs will compress...TSS won't. Don't go tighter than Imp Mod....

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

My old 16 gauge loves federal slugs
These are Remington slugs. Figure out how to get to your part of state, and you can have if you want. Shipping ammo is too much a pain in the butt...and not worth it.
IMG_20230130_075315__01.jpg

Tenntrapper

I wouldn't shoot any slugs in a full chock. A more open choke should be ok.
Is TSS any harder than steel?
I've shot hundreds of slugs out of full choke guns. Doesn't hurt them a bit. The "rifled" slugs aren't really to impart a spin...they are made to squeeze down through a full choke. That said, you may achieve better accuracy from a less restricted choke. Rifled slugs fly more like a shuttlecock than a rifle bullet.

Tss harder than steel...I think so, but not sure. You aren't really supposed to shoot steel out of tight chokes either. Read on them...most will be marked... Mod for lead, full for steel, etc... The manufacturer for my shotgun said don't go tighter than Imp Mod for TSS or steel. That stuff doesn't compress like lead does.

With TSS, it's not needed anyway. The member that loads my 28g TSS sent me a video a couple days ago. Mallard, 130 yards, #9 TSS, from a 28g.... modified choke.
I took 2 mallards last year with my 28, #9 TSS, one barrel mod, the other imp mod. 85+ yards. Dead is dead...the stuff is incredible.

Latest posts