130 gr 270's corelockts fragmenting on impact?

big jim

Over the last week or so, I've harvested two deer. Both were inj the same exact spot on the food plot, eating oats and undisturbed around 50-60 feet from the stand.

One doe hit behind the shoulder dropped in her tracks reamined down, but didn't die. She required a shot in the back of the neck to finish her off. Upon examination not exit wound, execept on the neck. I thought it was a fluke.

Saturday morning from the same stand spot shot a 142lb dressed 8 pointer. good hit behind the shoulder. Once again dropped where shot but sill alive. Required a shot in the neck to finish him off. No bullet exit, except for the neck shot.

Both deer had a debloodgened (SP)look on the side opposite the shot but no evident exit wound.

I guess the bullets blew up as these were fairly short shots. Anyone ever have this happen?

Worm

2-Step Enabled
Yep but not with corelock.
I have Ballistic Tips at 50 yards and inside do it but still get something out the other side.

Kimberman

I have seen it happen with Hornady SSTs out of a 270 @ about 25 yards. Killed the deer dead but destroyed alot of meat and did not exit. It does not surprise me that the same problem would happen with a Corelockt, or a Power Point or a Sierra or a Ballistic Tip etc etc etc. The only way I know to fix the problem is to shoot a tougher bullet like a bonded one or a partition/Barnes.

Darkthirty II

my buddy shoots 100gr coreloks out of his 270, and he has never had any problems. Very seldom is their an exit hole but the bullet is always found, intact, and mushroomed. Wether its 50yds or 200 the bullet will usually be just under skin on opposite side.

Latest posts