Getting a barrel threaded for choke tubes

Huntaholic

I inherited a sportsman 48 20 ga when my Dad passed away last year and Im toying with the idea of having it threaded for choke tubes. Does anybody have a recommendation on who to get to do it? I would prefer it be a TN smith so I could deliver it in person.

fairchaser

I had a Remington 1100 done about 20 years ago and it's worked great. Any gunsmith can do the job if you can find one and willing to wait. From a practical standpoint, it's almost cheaper to just buy another gun. Also, you need an open barrel that would allow for creating higher constrictions.

Huntaholic

Oh I know it would be as cheap to get another gun, but this one has some sentimental value and I would like to use it instead of look at it lol. I just sent an email to Rose action sports, which I saw posted in another thread here.

Atchman2

I have one my grandad gave me. It has a Weaver choke but the extra choke tubes are long gone. I am stuck on modified.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Andy S.

Any reputable smith should know this, but make sure the end of the barrel has enough "meat" to readily accept threads. I've read a FEW stories online where the end of the barrel was extremely thin and the owner had to cut off several inches to get into the "meat" of the metal to properly thread it. Just food for thought.

rukiddin

Contact Briley. They're the best in the game. They don't need the whole gun, just ship them the barrel. If you only want it threaded and you luck up that they can match it to chokes you already have, it's $150.

ROVERBOY

If you have a set of calipers, measure the outside diameter and see what you have. If you call a gunsmith to send it to, he will probably ask you the O.D.

Latest posts