Smokeless Rem 700 build or a 45/70 build

Smokeless

lungpuncher1

Andy S.":2gjj4z6r said:
lungpuncher1":2gjj4z6r said:
What's your sabotless plan? I have some 275 be but i think they blow up on short distance shots.
That was my initial plan, but after reading other's reports from the field about them fragmenting real bad, I can promise you I will not hunt with them. I may punch some paper with the 275 BE, but I will probably resize some 250 or 300 gr SST and try them sabotless if I go that route. At the end of the day, I want to have an accurate gun that will kill deer out to 200-250 yards.
I feel the same. I think a barnes 250 tmz would be another good option. Ive thought about the 302 bomb too but i haven't heard enough about their "deer killing" ability yet to trust them.

lungpuncher1

Finally got my scout v2 back from Jeff. He did a great job and even threw in the box a free decapping tool.

I mounted the scope but im not happy with the height. I used a rail so it made it sit higher than i anticipated with medium rings so I've got some low rings on the way. Other than that I'm thrilled.

be32a8ebcf97a688ba67c0a5bd6a8a37.jpg

lungpuncher1

Andy S.":2ktqmeqq said:
Looks good, anxious to hear how she shoots.
Did you get a sizing die?

I really don't want to buy one due to the fact my goal was to not spend a ton on this sml game. However i am worried about the sabots going through the brake. I have the thread protector but i was hoping to shoot with the brake for recoil purposes so my wife can use the gun also.

Any other .45 bullet options you know of that don't require sizing?

Crazy question but when they say sabotless they mean no wool or veggie wad or anything right? Just powder and bullet.

lungpuncher1

Roost 1":1n44o13n said:
Lots of people use a wool or veggie wad sabotless... Match hunters fit my barrel without sizing, you might try them.
What are the main differences between the wool and veggies?

Anyone heard any success stories with shooting sabots through a brake? What are the things to look for to know the brake is even affecting my sabots?

Sorry for all the questions guys, i appreciate it a ton.

BuckDoeHunter

I haven't read any range reports of the Scout using a 200gr SST with a Harvester sabot so I am looking forward to your report.

One Scout conversion came up for sale on another board that I thought about buying, but after some research, the Scout seems to have a 6 groove barrel. My one SML with a 6 groove barrel doesn't shoot the 200gr SST with the Harvester blue sabot very well compared to my 8 groove SML but it could just be my rifle.

If the sabots don't work out, I'm sure your rifle will shoot good sabotless. A 250/290 Barnes TEZ bullet may go down your barrel with no sizing. If it's too loose, you can knurl the bullet up for a more snug fit, that's what I do in one of my rifles.

lungpuncher1

BuckDoeHunter":zthhlyoo said:
I haven't read any range reports of the Scout using a 200gr SST with a Harvester sabot so I am looking forward to your report.

One Scout conversion came up for sale on another board that I thought about buying, but after some research, the Scout seems to have a 6 groove barrel. My one SML with a 6 groove barrel doesn't shoot the 200gr SST with the Harvester blue sabot very well compared to my 8 groove SML but it could just be my rifle.

If the sabots don't work out, I'm sure your rifle will shoot good sabotless. A 250/290 Barnes TEZ bullet may go down your barrel with no sizing. If it's too loose, you can knurl the bullet up for a more snug fit, that's what I do in one of my rifles.
I tried a tmz 250 and it went down good without sizing or knurling. I think with knurling it would be perfect. My only worry about it is it being all copper would it obutrate enough to getting into the rifling?

BuckDoeHunter

I wouldn't use a TMZ (use a TEZ), the boat tails don't seem to shoot all that well, some have good luck, more don't. From what I have seen, the last 1/8 inch of the bullet will fill the bore, here is a 290gr TEZ (flat base) pulled from my backstop (the bullet is damaged from stone, sand, and dirt). You can see where I knurled the bullet and where the knurling is mostly rubbed out on the last 1/8 inch. A duplex load was used for this bullet along with a .060 veggie wad. I think it would obturate enough with a single powder dose but only one way to find out.
28f594ed-ce31-4ad3-8997-f65ba4d13325_zpsmufkqt3t.jpg

lungpuncher1

BuckDoeHunter":hip7iehg said:
I wouldn't use a TMZ (use a TEZ), the boat tails don't seem to shoot all that well, some have good luck, more don't. From what I have seen, the last 1/8 inch of the bullet will fill the bore, here is a 290gr TEZ (flat base) pulled from my backstop (the bullet is damaged from stone, sand, and dirt). You can see where I knurled the bullet and where the knurling is mostly rubbed out on the last 1/8 inch. A duplex load was used for this bullet along with a .060 veggie wad. I think it would obturate enough with a single powder dose but only one way to find out.
28f594ed-ce31-4ad3-8997-f65ba4d13325_zpsmufkqt3t.jpg
That's encouraging. I may order a pack of 250 tez and see how they do. Why use the veggie wad? Do you not think they will shoot good without a wad?

I'm still not 100% certain on the reasons for veggie and wool wads.

BuckDoeHunter

With a sabot, it can act as a buffer and may help prevent blowing a sabot. I have shot up to 62gr of IMR4198 with a 195gr Barnes Expander and a Harvester Light Blue Sabot with no wad and didn't blow sabots but you have to let your barrel cool between shots, I always go at least 10 mins. This was out of a bolt action rifle and may not be safe in a break action rifle.

Sabotless, the wad should help seal the powder and help with ignition, it may also build pressure faster to help the all copper bullet engage the rifling quicker. IIRC, you may get more fps with a wad versus no wad. I'm no expert and just trying to remember what I've read about wads.

I've never used wool wads but some claim they work better than veggie wads, it also could depend on the bullet used. Some use no wads but I have always used one. I bought a bag of 1000 veggie wads for $20. The one pictured is a .060 thick, .462 cal. veggie wad.
IMG_8875_zpsyyvmtd7i.jpg

backstraps

lungpuncher1":11lqvn8m said:
Roost 1":11lqvn8m said:
If the TEZ fits no doubt that's the bullet I'd use.
I think I'll order some and try. Would you guys order some veggie wads too?

Veggie wads or dry wool wads work just as buckdoehunter mentioned, helps seal, and builds pressure faster

I know guys that shoot the veggies with or without a sabot. I also know guy that like dry wool under sabotless. I know you are a hunter and not chasing paperholes....but I have seen some sml increase velocity and tighten long range accuracy with dry wool

lungpuncher1

Roost 1":oqwekkxg said:
I, as well as others on tndeer, prefer dry wool wads. Most likely personal preference tho. I got some veggie wads ill mail if you just want to try some..,
Thanks for the offer but i actually bought some veggies and 250 tez last night.

Im going to shoot tomorrow. Plan is to get it on paper and season barrel with some 200 sst. Then start shooting groups with 195s to see what load it likes best. I have 55-60gr charges weighed out and into vials ready to go. I may even try a few 195s through my brake to see how it does.

All my 200 sst and 195 barnes are knurled and in hlb sabots.

When the 250tez get here im going to try them out with the veggie wads and try and decide what I'm going to stick with.

lungpuncher1

Finally got around to shooting today. I started out shooting 5 shots with 55gr of imr4198 with a 200sst to season the barrel and get it on paper.

After that i backed it up to 100 yards and started grouping.

I started with 55gr 4198, 195 barnes with a hlb sabot, federal 209a.

bbfda7fb9108ecc83a4ca1a0042a19e5.jpg

Then 56gr

0689daef1b89836898a66e2347fa17b3.jpg

Then 57gr

25e2846bcad03992bd7a0acc95b8c98b.jpg

Then 58gr

472ca9eb5b3d0607b0ee214603f129fa.jpg

With 56gr being the best 3 shot group i decided to try it with the brake and see how it did. Honestly the brake didn't help much, it tamed some of the muzzle jump but not enough to make the pain of loading through it worth it. It also made the great group open up.

8f307c06412a32bd42daf35f89b9505d.jpg

I think I'm going to stick with 56gr of imr4198, 195 barnes with a hlb sabot and fed 209a.

Im going to continue to mess around with it and still try a 250tez sabotless but im happy with the barnes 195s. Id go hunting with them today if i had to.

4e7daa606689f1fe7393474e0da30dcf.jpg

Latest posts