Mast report

tellico4x4

Plenty of hickory nuts, some red oak acorns & I haven't seen a single white oak acorn yet. April 28 freeze hammered ours I think. Do have persimmons as well. Good news is that clover plots look better for early September than they have in 7-8 years! Wayne & Hardin Co.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

larry ipock

Andy S.":3uaokzug said:
larry ipock":3uaokzug said:
Can't find hickory nuts anywhere this year, they were everywhere last year.
I walked under a bunch of hickory trees Saturday morning and not a nut on the ground or in the trees that I could find. Killed most of my squirrels out of oaks, but they were mainly checking/throwing green acorns out of the trees. I did find some persimmons and muscadines. SW TN.

Yeah, the squirrels are bouncing around from oak to oak. Won't hardly be still long enough to get a crosshair on em. :lol:

huntncoach

Saw quite a few acorns from white oaks yesterday in Rhea/Bledsoe. However, they are still green and VERY small. Hopefully there will be bigger acorns in three weeks!

catman529

tellico4x4":2g8khui9 said:
Plenty of hickory nuts, some red oak acorns & I haven't seen a single white oak acorn yet. April 28 freeze hammered ours I think. Do have persimmons as well. Good news is that clover plots look better for early September than they have in 7-8 years! Wayne & Hardin Co.

I bet the red oaks don't do well next year. They take two seasons to grow while white acorns only take one season. So this years acorns were already half way grown when the frost hit so they would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

recurve60#

catman529":2t1u5oy5 said:
tellico4x4":2t1u5oy5 said:

I bet the red oaks don't do well next year. They take two seasons to grow while white acorns only take one season. So this years acorns were already half way grown when the frost hit so they would be fine
Yes a red oak tree produces every other year. Its not that red oaks as a whole do. Eveey year there are productive red oaks. Gotta go find them.

catman529

recurve60#":iy8qmqgp said:
Yes a red oak tree produces every other year. Its not that red oaks as a whole do. Eveey year there are productive red oaks. Gotta go find them.

[/quote] not necessarily. Red oaks usually produce every year, but the crop can vary of course. They bloom and set fruit every year in the spring. There will be both mature and immature acorns on the same tree when they drop in the fall.

Here's a good link article: https://extension2.missouri.edu/g9414#production

Each fall, trees in the red oak group will have a combination of small, immature acorns on the current year's growth and mature acorns on the previous year's growth. Thus, species in the red oak group can provide an acorn crop in years with a late spring freeze that might have destroyed the white oak acorn crop. However, in both groups, acorn production remains very unpredictable from year to year. Research has shown that, on average, most species produce a good crop of acorns only one year out of three or four.

Winchester

Squirrels absolutely smoking the pine cones here right now along with some cutting Hickories as well. I have found some random Chestnut oak acorns on ground and both White and red oaks seem to have a decent crop still hanging the limbs which is normal for right now. Fruit trees of all kinds including Persimmons seem to have done well also. Should be plenty of food on the ground shortly, which I like but can make hunting a lil tougher, where you have to spend more time finding exactly where the deer want to be at any given time. East TN.

TN Whitetail Freak

Only trees I've seen with mast is a few persimmons and 25% of pin oaks. The overcup oaks are 100% bare which is the only white oak in the river bottoms. Gonna be slim

tellico4x4

Been doing a lot of looking and found 4 red oaks so far with acorns, not a single white oak though... Do have a good crop of chestnut oaks dropping now. Plenty of hickory nuts and persimmons are loaded.

Have hunted this tract for 20 yrs and have been to all the good old standbys and mighty slim. Even went down into the bottom to an old house place that has 12-15 walnuts. For the first time ever there is not a single nut on them! Glad the plots are rocking!

catman529

Spent a few hours walking around southern middle tennessee today. Persimmons are starting to drop pretty good, sawtooth oaks are starting, and just a few red oaks but not many.

The area I walked has at least 10 species of oak, and they all range from nothing to loaded with acorns, depending on the tree. A few of the white oaks were loaded, but all acorns are green, even the few that did drop.

The only ripe red oaks I saw on the ground were willow oak and northern red... I'd be looking for those northern reds, sawtooth, and persimmons come opener, because they'll probably be hit first.

fa8f06bf40c7d64c755d0cea427eb8ce.jpg

00692eea7026f6ca94edb8be20e50c5b.plist

34a436fdc89b1c64d949a3536b6c2675.plist

0408a710c8d9c7fc7bd2c3cd7d3ab4cb.jpg

double browtine

catman529":1iqfkv55 said:
Spent a few hours walking around southern middle tennessee today. Persimmons are starting to drop pretty good, sawtooth oaks are starting, and just a few red oaks but not many.

The area I walked has at least 10 species of oak, and they all range from nothing to loaded with acorns, depending on the tree. A few of the white oaks were loaded, but all acorns are green, even the few that did drop.

The only ripe red oaks I saw on the ground were willow oak and northern red... I'd be looking for those northern reds, sawtooth, and persimmons come opener, because they'll probably be hit first.

Good information! Did you pop open a persimmon to check the snow forecast?

catman529

double browtine":1idhauin said:
catman529":1idhauin said:

Good information! Did you pop open a persimmon to check the snow forecast?
lol no I've never done that

catman529

Walked a creek bottom today looking for wood ducks, and man the red oaks were dropping good. Lots of deer in that bottom and I've killed a few there in the past. May have to slip in there in a couple weeks.

catman529

I forgot to mention, I have noticed a lot of chinkapin oaks around middle TN that are loaded . They are usually spotty producers, so I'd say it's above average this year. Not every tree has acorns, but a lot of them have a bunch. Should be good come mid October!

Latest posts