Zeiss V4 or Swarovski Z3

BigCityBubba

I assume you meant Z3 4-12x50 or maybe 3-10x42. They don't make a 3-12x42. I have a Z3 3-10x42 as well as its predecessor the habicht 3-10x42. I don't have a V4 but I do have an HD5 which I think the V4 is supposed to have slightly better glass, maybe. You can't go wrong with either scope. My preference would lean towards the swaro because its 10oz lighter. I have heard that the swaro Z3 are not as durable and you have to be careful not to over tighten the scope rings. I have not had the issue and love my Z3.

Last edited:

Andy S.

No experience with V4, but really enjoy my Z3 on my Tikka Superlite 7-08. My goal was compact, nimble, lightweight deer rifle for woods hunting. I got the scope new for $799 or so, delivered to my door. It really compliments my gun. Going forward, it'll be hard for me to pickup/hunt with any of my older "heavier" setups. Good luck with your choice.

Rackseeker

I assume you meant Z3 4-12x50 or maybe 3-10x42. They don't make a 3-12x42. I have a Z3 3-10x42 as well as its predecessor the habicht 3-10x42. I don't have a V4 but I do have an HD5 which I think the V4 is supposed to have slightly better glass, maybe. You can't go wrong with either scope. My preference would lean towards the swaro because its 10oz lighter. I have heard that the swaro Z3 are not as durable and you have to be careful not to over tighten the scope rings. I have not had the issue and love my Z3.
yea I meant 3-10x42. I compared the weight seems like the difference was 7 oz. , I guess the 1" tube vs. the 30mm tube and internals make the difference in weight. But yes that seems like a lot comparing the two.

Last edited:

Andy S.

For me, the 30mm tube and extra weight is a deal breaker "for my typical uses". I have ONE deer rifle with 30mm tube, and it's all I want. I understand some love them, especially the tactical guys, but I am a 1" tube guy all the way for deer rifles.

Rackseeker

I have a Zeiss on my Remington 700 .300 win mag. and I really like it. I am wanting one to mount on my Model 7 7mm08. I think the Z3 would be a better choice for this rifle. When I put this rifle together for my daughters to hunt with I mounted a Vortex Diamondback HP on it. Its a decent scope but the side focus cost me a good buck in Missouri last year. I had a kayak float and a good hike in and somehow the side focus got turned. A shooter came in chasing a doe and caught me off guard. Needless to say I couldn't get a shot.

TNRifleman

I have a few Zeiss V4's and really like them a lot. The Swaro is good glass but the knock has always been lack of elevation adjustment. I have run my v4 out to 1000 yards and still had room to dial.

Latest posts