Mast report

rmmonty32

Found a white oak dropping Thursday in monroe county hunted it Saturday and deer were all over it.

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk

catman529

rmmonty32":3tcgr4up said:
Found a white oak dropping Thursday in monroe county hunted it Saturday and deer were all over it.

you got any pics of it? Not doubting you I just haven't seen any white oaks drop before October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega

Working out at my hunting area I noticed a few acorns all over the place, but didn't try and figure out which it was, white or reds dropping them.

rmmonty32

catman529":1c2c3s1c said:
rmmonty32":1c2c3s1c said:

you got any pics of it? Not doubting you I just haven't seen any white oaks drop before October.

No I just have video of deer feeding in the area.

Bone Collector

catman529":35j7k5sq said:
rmmonty32":35j7k5sq said:

In some areas I have been hunting there is a mix of oaks, and they all seem to be dropping, though I don't know if birds and squirrels are the culprit. I know they are in some instances, but it is like a steady rain of marbles. I don't generally walk around the area and try to get in and out as quietly as possible and with the least intrusion/disturbance. I believe both varieties are falling some on their own right now.

I know from scouting i did see some whites on the ground the week before season, BUT can't say that they weren't knocked down.

catman529

I found a few chinkapins that are dropping heavy and still have a lot more to drop. I think it's the earliest I've seen them drop.

7226fc774c8477ef601d3a9515aba6be.jpg

catman529

MUP":3743u100 said:
More chestnut oak acorns falling in my front yard, I mean raining down now.
you seen deer eat them much? Seems I find em left on the ground most of the time. I don't hunt around them enough to have much observation. Seems like they're low on the list based on what I see on the ground

Racknquack

I think it depends on what's available. Chestnut oaks always fall first around me and I can hear/watch the deer eat them. But, it does seem that when another option becomes available they move off of them.

Volbuck777

catman529":360vy4oo said:
I found a few chinkapins that are dropping heavy and still have a lot more to drop. I think it's the earliest I've seen them drop.

Man if you're finding that you shouldn't have to worry about any other tree, even white oaks. My honest opinion, of course, some would disagree. But I'm a true believer in chinkapins being a deers number one go to. Also seen what you said about whites and don't deny there is some on the ground but it's early. I'd say the majority is getting knocked off by squirrels. Give it two or three weeks it'll be raining them though. Chestnut acorns are okay and they'll eat them but I sure wouldn't set on one thinking it's going to pay off. Just my 2 cents

MUP

catman529":21f7b15p said:
MUP":21f7b15p said:
More chestnut oak acorns falling in my front yard, I mean raining down now.
you seen deer eat them much? Seems I find em left on the ground most of the time. I don't hunt around them enough to have much observation. Seems like they're low on the list based on what I see on the ground

I won't hunt over them in particular, and have had the same observation that they definitely don't prefer them. I was out in the stand last evening and had reds dropping all around me, not raining down, just a drop every now and then. This was on the mtn. The oaks that are raining down are at my house in the valley. Definitely a difference in elevation it seems.

catman529

Volbuck777":tbmwtjwt said:
catman529":tbmwtjwt said:

Man if you're finding that you shouldn't have to worry about any other tree, even white oaks. My honest opinion, of course, some would disagree. But I'm a true believer in chinkapins being a deers number one go to. Also seen what you said about whites and don't deny there is some on the ground but it's early. I'd say the majority is getting knocked off by squirrels. Give it two or three weeks it'll be raining them though. Chestnut acorns are okay and they'll eat them but I sure wouldn't set on one thinking it's going to pay off. Just my 2 cents
I can't tell which is better, white oak, chinkapin or swamp chestnut oak. I've seen deer hammer them all. I've got a couple swamp chestnut oaks marked on OnX that I found while squirrel hunting. I plan to be back there soon

Volbuck777

Honestly I've never hunted around swamp chestnut oaks, so I have no idea. Hard to beat whites but where I hunt there is so few chinkapins I think deer love them because it's a treat they don't get much. Let us know what you think after hunting around all of them. By the way I know people that say sawtooth is the best. Maybe they're on to something.

catman529

Volbuck777":1mf1gqzt said:
Honestly I've never hunted around swamp chestnut oaks, so I have no idea. Hard to beat whites but where I hunt there is so few chinkapins I think deer love them because it's a treat they don't get much. Let us know what you think after hunting around all of them. By the way I know people that say sawtooth is the best. Maybe they're on to something.
I've heard the same. Last sawtooth I checked had dropped a lot but deer hadn't hit em yet.

JCDEERMAN

I glassed a lot Saturday at our place. Virtually no mountain chestnut or white oaks with acorns. The reds are loaded. This is in Hickman

Latest posts