Buffalo River Refuge unit 2 report

Flintlocksforme

First of all I have to brag a little on TWRA for acquiring this property and the work put in on developing it for usability so far. Most public refuges , parks, and wma areas I have been familiar with since 1980 across the state were easy to access years ago when I was a child and young hunter. Now LBL and a lot of the WMAs are no longer farmed and inaccessible as they once were. TWRA sells me a big game and separate small game permit to hunt Natchez Trace WMA while doing nothing to improve it. Sadly the forest and topsoil are leaving faster than I will ever live to see recover. Besides many are the same as statewide and have no appeal to me as they once did.
BRR unit 2 is different. The manager understands deer management. Because of the nature of the high hills and steep hollows combined with a hardwood select cut years ago many parts of this wma are not for the casual hunter. I walked quit a few miles scouting on the scout weekends and found myself needing briar chaps and leather gloves in more than one place. I am sure that I even found a few places where a rabbit couldn't go. Some areas I didn't even look at because I just didn't feel like walking up a hill that steep covered with briars. The thought of retrieving a deer in some of those areas was not something that I was willing to consider. TWRA did clear the ridge tops to make trails for walking or ATV deer retrieval. I did see one nice food plot and found out that there were others. There are fresh graveled parking areas at common entry points.
The manager has knowledge of what the deer on his unit can stand as far as human presence and hunting pressure and the area in only open for 6 scouting days and 9 hunting days the entire year limited to 7 per hunt.
Because all the area I scouted had been cut
I struggled to find a tree straight enough for a climbing stand. It is necessary to get above the ground in the thick under story in most places too. I opted to carry 4 climbing sticks and a saddle platform and found most trees were excellent candidates for saddle hunting. I believe all the good straight trees were cut at least a decade ago.
The hunt area was clearly with signs and the property lines clearly marked. Once again this is a sign of the hard work put in by the manager and his staff. I did see lots of buck sign as this year had a bumper mast crop. It may be a different story on poor mast years. The deer may stay in the thick browse or move down to the bottoms for agriculture and food plots. I was blessed with my biggest muzzleloader buck of my life. What I thought was a 70 yards shot at a straight walking away buck turned out to be closer to 100 steps when I walked it off the next day. I went back the second day to retrieve my sticks and platform and hunted for a doe but didn't find any. I am not sure where to find the total kill for this hunt.

Last edited:

EastTNboy

First of all I have to brag a little on TWRA for acquiring this property and the work put in on developing it for usability so far. Most public refuges , parks, and wma areas I have been familiar with since 1980 across the state were easy to access years ago when I was a child and young hunter. Now LBL and a lot of the WMAs are no longer farmed and inaccessible as they once were. TWRA sells me a big game and separate small game permit to hunt Natchez Trace WMA while doing nothing to improve it. Sadly the forest and topsoil are leaving faster than I will ever live to see recover. Besides many are the same as statewide and have no appeal to me as they once did.
BRR unit 2 is different. The manager understands deer management. Because of the nature of the high hills and steep hollows combined with a hardwood select cut years ago many parts of this wma are not for the casual hunter. I walked quit a few miles scouting on the scout weekends and found myself needing briar chaps and leather gloves in more than one place. I am sure that I even found a few places where a rabbit couldn't go. Some areas I didn't even look at because I just didn't feel like walking up a hill that steep covered with briars. The thought of retrieving a deer in some of those areas was not something that I was willing to consider. TWRA did clear the ridge tops to make trails for walking or ATV deer retrieval. I did see one nice food plot and found out that there were others. There are fresh graveled parking areas at common entry points.
The manager has knowledge of what the deer on his unit can stand as far as human presence and hunting pressure and the area in only open for 6 scouting days and 9 hunting days the entire year limited to 7 per hunt.
Because all the area I scouted had been cut
I struggled to find a tree straight enough for a climbing stand. It is necessary to get above the ground in the thick under story in most places too. I opted to carry 4 climbing sticks and a saddle platform and found most trees were excellent candidates for saddle hunting. I believe all the good straight trees were cut at least a decade ago.
The hunt area was clearly with signs and the property lines clearly marked. Once again this is a sign of the hard work put in by the manager and his staff. I did see lots of buck sign as this year had a bumper mast crop. It may be a different story on poor mast years. The deer may stay in the thick browse or move down to the bottoms for agriculture and food plots. I was blessed with my biggest muzzleloader buck of my life. What I thought was a 70 yards shot at a straight walking away buck turned out to be closer to 100 steps when I walked it off the next day. I went back the second day to retrieve my sticks and platform and hunted for a doe but didn't find any. I am not sure where to find the total kill for this hunt.
Got any pics of the buck? Congrats!

Flintlocksforme

Got any pics of the buck? Congrats!
First deer I saw, he walked up a thick valley onto the ridge I was on and was walking straight away. I could have grunted and tried to turn him around but grabbed my flintlock instead. I leveled the open sights on the middle of his back and raised the gun to the base of his neck. At the distance the ball feel a couple of inches and entered next to his tail bone. He dropped. The .562 patched round ball over 100 grains of 3F Goex real black powder had done the job. I saw him lifting his head so I put a second ball in his neck. Very blessed as the distance was 30 yards further than I thought. He was about 93 steps.

Attachments

• IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5879.jpeg
    IMG_5879.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

th88

First deer I saw, he walked up a thick valley onto the ridge I was on and was walking straight away. I could have grunted and tried to turn him around but grabbed my flintlock instead. I leveled the open sights on the middle of his back and raised the gun to the base of his neck. At the distance the ball feel a couple of inches and entered next to his tail bone. He dropped. The .562 patched round ball over 100 grains of 3F Goex real black powder had done the job. I saw him lifting his head so I put a second ball in his neck. Very blessed as the distance was 30 yards further than I thought. He was about 93 steps.
Very nice buck!

How many points did it take to draw? Sounds like it may be a decent option for mid-level points.

Flintlocksforme

6 points for me, but it can be a physically demanding hunt. Talked to a guy that's friend needed help pulling a deer up one of those hills over there. It was all they could do. Rugged and briars, lots of deer protection from the average hunter.

Last edited:

BSK

First of all I have to brag a little on TWRA for acquiring this property and the work put in on developing it for usability so far.

BRR unit 2 is different. The manager understands deer management. Because of the nature of the high hills and steep hollows combined with a hardwood select cut years ago many parts of this wma are not for the casual hunter. I walked quit a few miles scouting on the scout weekends and found myself needing briar chaps and leather gloves in more than one place. I am sure that I even found a few places where a rabbit couldn't go. Some areas I didn't even look at because I just didn't feel like walking up a hill that steep covered with briars.

I have no doubt the area's habitat is being managed well. However, a great deal of the credit for the performance of this property is due to the previous owners and the current neighbors. When looking at the harvest numbers for the original BRR, their buck harvest numbers were absolutely unsustainable except for the fact the current neighbors were providing a "nursery" for the over-harvest of bucks on BRR. And I can tell you some of the neighbors are not happy about that.

Flintlocksforme

BSK you are correct. No doubt the neighborhood is seriously posted. That's usually an indication that property owners have worked hard to manage what hangs out on their land. The BRR unit 2 will be good until the powers that be in Nashville start managing and oversee from there. BRR is like the private land owners we're back in the 80-90s when the south side of Natchez Trace WMA was quota hunt only and for a few years it had antler restrictions. TWRA was way ahead of their time for antler restrictions and the area had too much private property surrounding it to let the bucks grow back then. Times have changed. Now what you are describing is the TWRA land is whacking all the private property bucks that neighbor it.

Attachments

• IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 45

BSK

BSK you are correct. No doubt the neighborhood is seriously posted. That's usually an indication that property owners have worked hard to manage what hangs out on their land. The BRR unit 2 will be good until the powers that be in Nashville start managing and oversee from there. BRR is like the private land owners we're back in the 80-90s when the south side of Natchez Trace WMA was quota hunt only and for a few years it had antler restrictions. TWRA was way ahead of their time for antler restrictions and the area had too much private property surrounding it to let the bucks grow back then. Times have changed. Now what you are describing is the TWRA land is whacking all the private property bucks that neighbor it.
Absolutely correct. And the neighbors are trying to manage for top-end bucks.

Have you seen the harvest numbers for the original BRR? Crazy, impossibly high. They are killing "their" bucks and everybody else's too.

Latest posts