If you have not burned

JCDEERMAN

I meant to take some pics this morning. One of our burns several weeks ago was in an area that was previously logged - everything was taken out except the white oaks. It got out of hand and grew up, so we just burned. I went through there this morning and all the under and mid story was nuked. Looked awesome. Fresh new growth coming up. I'll try to take pics next time I'm there.

JCDEERMAN

I meant to take some pics this morning. One of our burns several weeks ago was in an area that was previously logged - everything was taken out except the white oaks. It got out of hand and grew up, so we just burned. I went through there this morning and all the under and mid story was nuked. Looked awesome. Fresh new growth coming up. I'll try to take pics next time I'm there.
Follow up pics on this burn unit…

IMG_9062.jpeg

IMG_9064.jpeg

IMG_9065.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

Good looking burn and like the new growth. My second burn was an area logged three years ago. Lots of tree tops and plenty of fuel. It was real hot.
This one was logged about 7 years ago. A lot of the new growth is mostly greenbrier and ragweed, which deer love and is highly nutritious. A lot of it is new oaks (from all the acorns). The next burn through here will be during late summer / early fall to kill even more of those woody stems either in 2025-2026.

I wish the majority of the property was just like this, but this was just a 5 acre section. The goal is to continue thinning timber and dragging out for the mill to come pick up. Once all the timber is thinned, it will be nothing but lighting fires ever so often. Surely some hack-n-squirt as a follow up. A lot of work yet to come

mcbuck58

This one was logged about 7 years ago. A lot of the new growth is mostly greenbrier and ragweed, which deer love and is highly nutritious. A lot of it is new oaks (from all the acorns). The next burn through here will be during late summer / early fall to kill even more of those woody stems either in 2025-2026.

I wish the majority of the property was just like this, but this was just a 5 acre section. The goal is to continue thinning timber and dragging out for the mill to come pick up. Once all the timber is thinned, it will be nothing but lighting fires ever so often. Surely some hack-n-squirt as a follow up. A lot of work yet to come
Sounds like a good plan. Good job.

Boll Weevil

This one was logged about 7 years ago.
Question: Will all those young hardwoods only be topkilled from that burn or will they be killed killed?

Everything I just ran a fire thru had leafed out real good already so I'm hoping they all got permanently torched and won't have to deal with those stems anymore.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Question: Will all those young hardwoods only be topkilled from that burn or will they be killed killed?

Everything I just ran a fire thru had leafed out real good already so I'm hoping they all got permanently torched and won't have to deal with those stems anymore.
Will continue to monitor, but on this one, it appears they are toast. We did another burn the same day that was about 9 acres and on that one, it's just as you describe. A lot of it leafed out - will definitely have to do some tsi as a follow up in that one.

I'd say if it already leafed out, then you ran a fire through there, and it was hot enough, you probably did enough damage to kill quite a bit.

Latest posts