If you have not burned

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
It's gettin very late! Greenup is coming fast but we got it done today!
IMG_2594.jpeg
IMG_2592.jpeg

DoubleRidge

Looking good!...Other projects have me covered up currently but my hope is to develop 2 or 3 burn units in the future so we can rotate each year and burn one...and with us never burning bofore we will probably have the Forestry Dept help us get started in developing our first burn unit...looking forward to it in the future

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
My Apple Watch logged 13mi and more than a few calories burned last Saturday putting in firebreaks. Got the call from the burn boss yesterday we're up next…160ac. 🥵

View attachment 220671
That's about what we burned yesterday and last night. About 15 acres of native grasses and the rest was woodland.
Those native grass fires are amazing! Got my eyebrows singed yesterday, had to run! I bet that was a funny sight!

BSK

Burning is one of the best and most useful tools in the habitat manager's arsenal. Yet it is the tool I will only use as a last resort! I HATE working with fire, especially in hilly hardwoods.

Boll Weevil

I've burned before but never a block this big so will have the experts on hand to help this go'round. After this first one should be able to manage future burns but really looking forward to watching the wildlife habitat transformation.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I've burned before but never a block this big so will have the experts on hand to help this go'round. After this first one should be able to manage future burns but really looking forward to watching the wildlife habitat transformation.
Good fire breaks and stay focused. I periodically jump in the UTV and make a run to back check my boundaries. When blowing or raking fire breaks look for hang ups and hollow trees that are near the boundary that might cause the fire to jump the break and make a break around those.
Just get on the down wind side and back the fire in a safe distance then do the sides. I enjoy burning pine stands, they are predictable as long as the wind cooperates. A lot of fuel can generate its own winds.

Boll Weevil

What do you guys plant in the fire breaks after the burn is complete?
Absolutely not an ideal warm season planting but I've had great luck with Marshall ryegrass when temps cool and fall rains begin. It'll burn up thru the warmer/drier months though.

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Tn forestry got my fire breaks done this week. They plan on burning first of April. What do you guys plant in the fire breaks after the burn is complete?
Nothing. There is usually a flush of forbs right after a burn then other plants later. Watch and you get to see what's in the soil bank. Wildlife will love it

wildlifefarmer

Guys I'm glad y'all got the opportunity to burn. I'm a chicken it when I burn. RH less than 40 and winds less than 10 with no gusts over 12. I've had too many rabbits come jump out across the firebreaks on fire. I'll wait now with the green up well on its way until next year.

MickThompson

Burning is one of the best and most useful tools in the habitat manager's arsenal. Yet it is the tool I will only use as a last resort! I HATE working with fire, especially in hilly hardwoods.
I enjoy the tactics/challenge of burning in ridge and holler country... most of the time, anyways

MickThompson

Tn forestry got my fire breaks done this week. They plan on burning first of April. What do you guys plant in the fire breaks after the burn is complete?
Depending on how good the soil is (disked vs dozer-scraped), could be about anything. I would generally steer away from grains (grasses) unless you plan to freshen it up before the next burn. Those fine fuels can be a problem for sure.

Latest posts