HUNTR podcast- Big Ohio buck with A TN connection

Roost 1

IMG_6026.png

CliffordN

So what can happen on your end (NA Whitetail end)? Did you just do an interview or did he have to sign something swearing to the truth?
I found out about the buck, contacted the hunter for a short interview, then reported to my editor, Haynes Shelton, who was in Canada on a hunt for NAW TV. He also wanted to talk to the hunter, and we were preparing to run a feature once the deer was officially scored, because this is such an exceptional buck. We were on hold till the 60 day drying period passed after that, when I started seeing the same stuff everyone else was. I contacted Haynes again, and reached out to the hunter and his brother, as well as the Ohio DNR, trying to get to the truth... The lid is on tight, and I got very little from any of them, which is understandable considering the circumstances. We vet each story before we run anything. And, so far, I have never written a hero story about a poached deer. But, let me also say, that we can all be fooled. When a hunter swears that the story is true, in the absence of any evidence to prove otherwise, it is hard not to cover a world class buck. We will have a follow up, once more is determined...
I did not travel to Ohio to do the interview. It was over the phone. And we do not ask folks to sign anything stating they are telling the truth. Most of the time, it is more like sitting around a fire at your camp listening to someone tell about their hunt. If they don't offer enough details, I ask questions to get the story. Kill a giant, and I will be happy to let you see how it works...

Last edited:

CliffordN

I do want to add that some of the differences that are being pointed out in the story could have just as easily been created by the various writers and digital creators putting their take on what they were told. It is common to see the same hunt reported on with differences in the story, because some folks get a little too creative in retelling them. So, I would suggest we all wait until the ODNR makes their statement, before passing judgement on this.

Big Gun

I see what you're saying and it would be hard for me to sell. But if someone's offering 50k-$100k and you get a replica then I would probably highly consider it.
The short bit of the podcast I listened to, the hunter mentioned that he had only made about $4000 and was doing different jobs to get by. Some relative had given him a car to drive. With that said, I could definitely see why he would consider selling it.

Big Gun

On the podcast he said his mother in law claimed to not even know him when he took the warden there. If she's the landowner or one of the landowners, could she say she didn't give him permission? Or, he didn't have written permission from her? I'm obviously just speculating here. If he had permission just didn't have it in writing, is that enough for the wardens to confiscate it? If so, that's BS when alot of times they won't do anything about actual trespassers.
I understood that to be his half-sister's mother that claimed to not know him. He also said that she was not a fan of his.

lafn96

I watched the podcast. Didn't he say he had written permission from the sister who was also listed as part owner of the property?
I can't remember if he said written, or just permission. That's why I'm wondering if the other owner (sister's mother?) who doesn't like him potentially saw dollar signs and is raising a stink, or just trying to make trouble for him. The other thing that's mentioned on the OH forum is the neighboring DA. The OH DNR press release -

"The agency stated, simply, that the investigation was launched "after information was provided alleging that Alexander failed to obtain the lawfully required written permission prior to hunting on private property."

Lost Lake

The truth will eventually come out.

I know this, I'd be nervous as heck if I legally killed a buck that size. Even more nervous if it was shady. Every hunter within miles who had previous relationship/dating "history" with it would be pretty upset. Especially the current date when a new fella came in and swept the buck off its feet…I mean killed it.

bowhunter163

I can't remember if he said written, or just permission. That's why I'm wondering if the other owner (sister's mother?) who doesn't like him potentially saw dollar signs and is raising a stink, or just trying to make trouble for him. The other thing that's mentioned on the OH forum is the neighboring DA. The OH DNR press release -

"The agency stated, simply, that the investigation was launched "after information was provided alleging that Alexander failed to obtain the lawfully required written permission prior to hunting on private property."
The problem is…. The DA's property is 10+ miles from where he "allegedly" killed the buck. And apparently there are trail camera photos on that property around the time he supposedly killed it. Sounds like it's a done deal from the guys I talked to.

bowhunter163

You know if the DA owned the property next door, and is a hunter, he could just make a call to DNR and tell them to give the kid a hard time just because he is but hurt! I've always said, you only own the land, not the deer! Go hunt one of those high fence places if you want to kill a pet deer
The DA's property is over 10 miles from where CJ said he killed the deer. They are saying he actually killed the deer on the property that borders the DA's land.

bowhunter163

It's remotely possible that he had permission to hunt close by, and might have fibbed about where he shot it. Every swinging ##*^ around who hunts would move in on a place like that.
That is a possibility, but from what an acquaintance told me I doubt it. If that is the case then he better produce the written permission now. Lol In Ohio you are required to have written permission so maybe he does, but I'd say he doesn't and that would make the whole dropping off and picking up thing make a little more sense.

The deer partially lived inside a city that doesn't allow hunting at all, and then ventured out during November to the properties bordering the city. Apparently was very well known in that city, im surprised seek one wasn't hunting it 😂

Latest posts