Etowah poaching

timberjack86

I personally see nothing wrong with hunting small game running dogs. I did it as a kid growing up and have since. In my opinion I think running deer with dogs is a lazy way to do it and those lack the skill to outsmart a deer one on one. If they're running them to hear the hounds then I'm sure they have no problem leaving the guns at home then. I'm glad Tn doesn't allow it even in the CWD areas. jmo
For the record if anyone thinks sitting in a tree perched like an overweight possum hoping a deer comes by is outsmarting em is a fool. Your ambushing a deer same as a dog hunter that takes a stand on a likely crossing when the hounds are turned loose.

Lost Lake

For the record if anyone thinks sitting in a tree perched like an overweight possum hoping a deer comes by is outsmarting em is a fool. Your ambushing a deer same as a dog hunter that takes a stand on a likely crossing when the hounds are turned loose.

I take great offense at this statement.

The older I get, the more I look like a possum. I can't help it.

And I'm working on my weight. Geeez.

Biggun4214

Stone tipped spear. Requires more woodsmanship.
The real challenge is to hunt bare handed. Become the woods, grab the deer, and kill it with tooth and claw.
šŸ˜ šŸ˜ šŸ˜

First year turkey season opened in Hawkins County, a hunter brought a live turkey to a checking station. He had it tied in the back of his truck. When I questioned him why it was alive he said the only gun he had was a .22 and he didn't want a ticket. Supposedly he climbed the tree it was in and caught it.
I was working with office personnel and was asked why I didn't write a ticket. With the judge we had I knew it would have been dismissed and the judge would have had a "discussion " with me after court.

Last edited:

HoytDawg

The real challenge is to hunt bare handed. Become the woods, grab the deer, and kill it with tooth and claw.
šŸ˜ šŸ˜ šŸ˜

First year turkey season opened in Hawkins County, a hunter brought a live turkey to a checking station. He had it tied in the back of his truck. When I questioned him why it was alive he said the only gun he had was a .22 and he didn't want a ticket. Supposedly he climbed the tree it was in and caught it.
I was working with office personnel and was asked why I didn't write a ticket. With the judge we had I knew it would have been dismissed and the judge would have had a "discussion " with me after court.
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ thats awesome

Spurhunter

Exactly. People that have never done it envision the hounds nipping at the heels of a running buck on a high speed chase. That's not how it happens in my experience. I've stood on a high ridge and watched the dogs run a doe on a low speed chase where the doe stays just barely ahead of the dogs many times, however bucks are different. When they hear the dogs they slip out of the area and get gone long before the dogs get close. The guys that are successful at killing bucks on dog hunts know the land, find out where the dogs are being turned out, know where the bedding areas and evacuation routes are, and set up accordingly.

My cousin had been hunting with this club for decades when I started hunting with them. They would announce where they were turning the dogs out and he had a knack for putting us in a good spot. Many times I'd hear the dogs way off and see a buck slipping through the woods leaving the area. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but a couple weekends a year it was a lot of fun. Like a lot of the old ways, I think running deer with dogs is dying. There aren't many houndsmen anymore. Even though some say it's lazy, taking care of dogs and running them all year so they are in shape for a couple weekends is a lot of work. Not to mention huge tracts of land to run on are not as readily available anymore.

HoytDawg

Exactly. People that have never done it envision the hounds nipping at the heels of a running buck on a high speed chase. That's not how it happens in my experience. I've stood on a high ridge and watched the dogs run a doe on a low speed chase where the doe stays just barely ahead of the dogs many times, however bucks are different. When they hear the dogs they slip out of the area and get gone long before the dogs get close. The guys that are successful at killing bucks on dog hunts know the land, find out where the dogs are being turned out, know where the bedding areas and evacuation routes are, and set up accordingly.

My cousin had been hunting with this club for decades when I started hunting with them. They would announce where they were turning the dogs out and he had a knack for putting us in a good spot. Many times I'd hear the dogs way off and see a buck slipping through the woods leaving the area. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but a couple weekends a year it was a lot of fun. Like a lot of the old ways, I think running deer with dogs is dying. There aren't many houndsmen anymore. Even though some say it's lazy, taking care of dogs and running them all year so they are in shape for a couple weekends is a lot of work. Not to mention huge tracts of land to run on are not as readily available anymore.
It honestly taught me alot about how to use public land human pressure to kill deer on escape routes. Really not much different

deerdills

I would like to hear both sides as well, but not sure there is much to defend. From the article, there are pics of baiting, trespassing, and the vehicle on the private property.

rem270

Unless this arrest is stemming from his prior charges it looks up Poleaxe doesn't learn his lesson.

179823-9aac1b08cef966b0129a18adb456c319.jpg

Snake

Unless this arrest is stemming from his prior charges it looks up Poleaxe doesn't learn his lesson.

View attachment 224314
Don't think they do it that way. If it was from last time he would have a court date . Upon that date he would either be found guilty or not guilty and he if guilty would pay the court deal done. If not guilty then done as well . They wouldn't arrest him again for the previous charge only for another charge.

From what I said being I think its a different charge unless he didn't show up for his court date, then they would have issued a bench warrant for his arrest for that previous charge . Just don't really know but I would have thought there would be more charges than just what was stated for not showing up for your court date.????????

Last edited:

Latest posts