Deer Harvest numbers/ Poaching

megalomaniac

But I do think many MORE deer go unchecked under telecheck simply because it's so easy to forget to do it.
I think this is actually the biggest problem... back in the day, going to a check station was just part of the process of hunting. Now its so easy to check a deer, it's actually possible to forget to do it. Hate to admit it, but I've killed a deer or two, brought them back to camp, weighed, pulled jawbone, and processed them... THEN remembered I forgot to check them in. Fortunately, I remembered all the same day and checked them in.
. But if I had gotten checked, I would have deserved a ticket. I'm as honest as they come when it comes to game laws... but every once in a while, I get caught up in the moment of the kill and forget. I've gotten better the past few years and it's been a while since I forgot, but I can easily see how someone could forget until the next day. The 'tag before you drag' new law has actually helped me. I don't procrastinate any longer and forget. It has become part of the hunting 'process' to pull my phone out as soon as I get to the animal and check it in even without cell service, then take picturs of the animal.

Headhunter

Cheaters are going to cheat, no matter the rules. But I do think many MORE deer go unchecked under telecheck simply because it's so easy to forget to do it. But does this bother me? Nope.

The only thing I lament about the loss of check stations is the physical data that was collected. I found that data invaluable from a biological standpoint.
What data? Other than one of two days a year and then at only a few stations was any data ever collected. I personally (other than a wma where you have to check in a deer at a manned station) have NEVER seen any data gathered at any physical check station in the past. NEVER! Not one time. And I have checked in deer or been with someone checking in deer all over the state of Tennessee. Have even went looking for someone to "gather data, even opening days" and never been able to find anyone.

Sorry, physical check stations of the past were a complete waste of time and money. I believe, especially how involved a huge number of hunters are today as compared to back when there were physical check stations, that telechek could gather way more and better information if it was requested.