Backcountry pack

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Badlands makes some great internal frame packs, and they go on sale at regular intervals. Keep your eyes peeled around Black Friday. Typically they'll go a week with each day having a radically discounted item, including packs. Enjoyed mine quite well, but like @timberjack86 said, you will likely need to debone your meat before you bag it and pack it.

External frame pack options range from Alps and Cabela's (cheapest) to Mystery Ranch/Kifaru/EXO (top of the line).

AT Hiker

I've got a Stone Glacier, external frame prior to the x-curve. It has a load shelf to pack meat without having to use you actual bag.
You can purchase other bags to swap out on your frame as well.
If possible try on a few packs and see how you like the fit.
Gear like this is going to cost some money.

* I started out hunting with my REi internal frame pack. It served the purpose but when I upgraded it changed my life. 100 lb pack outs suck a lot less now, lol.

Chickencoop96

I've got a Stone Glacier, external frame prior to the x-curve. It has a load shelf to pack meat without having to use you actual bag.
You can purchase other bags to swap out on your frame as well.
If possible try on a few packs and see how you like the fit.
Gear like this is going to cost some money.

* I started out hunting with my REi internal frame pack. It served the purpose but when I upgraded it changed my life. 100 lb pack outs suck a lot less now, lol.
I Definitely will bite the bullet and pay for a better pack like that. I remember what a pain a cheap ruck was on a 14 mile march LMAO

Mattt

I have a Kelly that I loan out, ifyour close you can borrow it, I run kifaru, plan for the kill if you haul weight the frame will change your life. If you are young you have time and skin that will grow back. I started in old school Alice. The Kelly is bette than those. The kifaru is like losing your virginity every time. Awkward,hurts a little, but best you'll ever have.

Rancocas

"Alaska Pack". I'm a "do-it-myself" guy. I enjoy making my own gear. Most of it anyway. (I'm cheap. I was raised by depression era parents who didn't believe in spending money needlessly)
These packs date back to the Klondike gold rush days when many prospectors and other "sour dough" backwoodsmen made their own gear.
I made my Alaska Pack many years ago and it continues to serve me well. Look it up on-line. There are instructions for building your own. They are fairly easy to make. Of course, you can modify the plans to suit yourself.
It is simply a wooden pack frame. I hang my soft, frameless canvas pack on the Alaska pack frame and away I go.
Another option for us "traditional" guys is the pack basket, sometimes called the Maine pack basket. They are a chore to make yourself, but they can be purchased on-line. Not cheap, though. They are still preferred by many trappers in the far north.
The prices for back country gear these days is absolutely crazy. There is no way in h#!! that I would pay big $$$ for any of it when I can make my own.

Hmm. I just looked up the Alaska pack frame on the Internet and found modern, aluminum pack frames. NOT what I am talking about. Try looking for "making your own pack frame". The one shown by Mother Earth New is the one that I made.

Last edited:

Chickencoop96

I have a Kelly that I loan out, ifyour close you can borrow it, I run kifaru, plan for the kill if you haul weight the frame will change your life. If you are young you have time and skin that will grow back. I started in old school Alice. The Kelly is bette than those. The kifaru is like losing your virginity every time. Awkward,hurts a little, but best you'll ever have.
Nice! haha, I appreciate the offer and just might be in touch with you soon. The Snipers in my unit all preferred the Alice pack believe it or not. Alice Packs really ain't half bad in my opinion