Anybody still hunting?

TheLBLman

Soak all your clothes, socks, underwear, cap, face mask, gloves, everything,
in permethrin.
Be sure it's dry before you wear it (if touching skin).

Weeds are now high, ticks are bad.

Also, spray the carpet in your truck & your seats,
as well as ANYTHING you take into the woods (turkey vest, seat, etc.).

No, I am not overly stating this.
Ticks are more dangerous to us than venomous snakes.

megalomaniac

I filled my last tag this past Tues, so no Intel since then. Birds were gobbling great until around 2p as of 6d ago. After 2p, very sporadic.

The toms were roosted with hens, but the hens left them early and the toms were coming to a call great after 9a or so.

I'd say 8a till 11a are the golden hours.

deerfever

I think it just depends if your on public or private as I think pressure definitely plays a role at this point. I had my son on some good public this past weekend. Didn't hear a bird off the roost but did strike one up at 930. I just knew it was going to come on but he gobbled around 10 times and never committed and moved on.All a matter of finding the right gobbler. Good luck and stay cool as it's hot!

Buzzard Breath

I was in Spring Hill this morning and one was going nuts for the 30 minutes I was outside.

Your arms are going to be too sore from catching fish, the night before, to be able to carry your gun.

tpgarrett21

saw this big boy this morning leaving for work in my neighbors field. pic doesn't do him justice, he was huge. I tagged out second Saturday... maybe next year

Attachments

• 20240520_080805.jpg
    20240520_080805.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4

JCDEERMAN

I got to our place in Hickman Friday and opened the big roll up door to our metal building to get the tractor out. Heard a gobble 200 yards from me from me opening up the door. They're still active.

Like @TheLBLman mentioned, spray real good. Ticks are horrible this year! I've found about 20 on me so far from just walking dirt roads. Luckily, none had bit me yet

Rockhound

I went with a friend to his lease last Thursday and had 3 gobbling 2 shut down as soon as one hit the ground and I figured he was the boss. 20 minutes later I had him at 20 yards and my friend missed.

SaltwaterWalt

Soak all your clothes, socks, underwear, cap, face mask, gloves, everything,
in permethrin.
Be sure it's dry before you wear it (if touching skin).

Weeds are now high, ticks are bad.

Also, spray the carpet in your truck & your seats,
as well as ANYTHING you take into the woods (turkey vest, seat, etc.).

No, I am not overly stating this.
Ticks are more dangerous to us than venomous snakes.
I'm done for this year... most ticks and tick bites I've ever had. Not worth it to me. I'm fishing now. No ticks on the water. LOL

Southern Sportsman

I am. Saturday a bird gobbled sparingly on the roost just before thunderstorms rolled through. I got set up pretty close just before the bottom fell out. On the ground, he was the hardest gobbling turkey I've sat down to all year, and probably in the last few years. Every time it thundered, he gobbled until it quit. Long rolling thunder sometimes required 6-7 consecutive gobbles. He also gobbled at every yelp, crow, woodpecker, distant vehicle sound, or other noise he heard. Hell of a hunt, right up until I touched the trigger and wiffed at 30 yards like a f-ing moron. Being kicked in the nuts would have been so much less painful.

Sunday was perfect weather, but I didn't hear a peep. Found a group of 2 long beards, 4 jakes, and 2 hens mid-morning. I was able to get in position about 80 yards from them. The gobblers strutted a little, but I think they were mainly strutting just to dry out. They never gobbled or showed any interest in the little bit of calling I did. After an hour or so, the gobblers and jakes walked away from the hens (and me), pitched across a creek, and drifted away together.

Last edited:

PalsPal

I still have a tag after trying to get dad on his second, to no avail. Have not heard a gobble since early last week. Yesterday was the perfect day, weather wise. Really disappointing.

I may try again in the morning. I just want to play one more time.

Latest posts