Anyone still shooting 12 gauge 3.5”

TheLBLman

A friend of mine has a835 and broke his partial plate in his upper jaw. Kicked pretty hard.
1st time I shot a 3 1/2" load, I honestly thought had broken my trigger finger. I knew to pad my shoulder, but wasn't expecting the trigger guard to pop my finger so hard. Wore gloves at the range thereafter.

JCDEERMAN

The way some of you are thinking :p
I'm surprised you're not shooting a 10 ga throwing a 3 ounce payload!
You could probably gain a whole nother yard in range!
My dad still uses his 3.5" 10 gauge at 75 years old. I grew up shooting the mossberg 835 3.5's. Man they kick. Switched to a different 12 for several years and it was quite a bit better. I still chose to switch to a 20 last year. It is so light and smalll and hardly any kick at all. Love it

ZachMarkus

if you've never shot a mossberg 535 with 3.5" turkey loads, you haven't been truly kicked in the teeth!
My first turkey gun was a mossberg 535 with a 22" barrel. I was 14 when I got it, first shell I shot through it was a 3.5" Remington nitro turkey. I was scared to shoot that thing at a turkey for a while lol

woodsman04

Unless you have some sort of shoulder problems or handicap, I don't understand why men worry about recoil. I have never felt recoil shooting at turkeys, deer, or what few geese and ducks I've shot at. Will you feel it on the pattern test? Yes of course.

That being said, no I do not use 3.5" mags anymore. Because it isn't needed, not because it kicks too hard. I've killed several with them though.

And yes on the practice range, Benelli Novas, and 835s will knock your teeth out!

deerhunter10

Unless you have some sort of shoulder problems or handicap, I don't understand why men worry about recoil. I have never felt recoil shooting at turkeys, deer, or what few geese and ducks I've shot at. Will you feel it on the pattern test? Yes of course.

That being said, no I do not use 3.5" mags anymore. Because it isn't needed, not because it kicks too hard. I've killed several with them though.

And yes on the practice range, Benelli Novas, and 835s will knock your teeth out!
My old 835 literally busted my nose 3 or 4 times while shooting at turkeys. I'm a stout dude with no handicap. Not worried about getting my teeth knocked in but glad i dont have to worry either. me personally I love playing around with the sub gauges. They are fun for me. I think the biggest mis understanding I've seen from a few is they think a lot of us are shooting tss to shoot far. While for me and most likely others. It makes the 20,28, and 410 a very very good turkey gun and efficient turkey gun. Where lead back in the day could cause issues with those gauges.

Iglow

At one point I had a 10ga 3.5'' H&R turkey gun that was a beast. It weighed about 12lbs so the recoil wasn't just awful, it was bad but not awful. I let it go after a couple of seasons cause it was a pain hiding the mule and cart I used to carry it around when I was hunting.

themanpcl

At one point I had a 10ga 3.5'' H&R turkey gun that was a beast. It weighed about 12lbs so the recoil wasn't just awful, it was bad but not awful. I let it go after a couple of seasons cause it was a pain hiding the mule and cart I used to carry it around when I was hunting.
If I remember back in the day when I sold those, it had a 2" rubber recoil pad on the butt?

themanpcl

My old 835 literally busted my nose 3 or 4 times while shooting at turkeys. I'm a stout dude with no handicap. Not worried about getting my teeth knocked in but glad i dont have to worry either. me personally I love playing around with the sub gauges. They are fun for me. I think the biggest mis understanding I've seen from a few is they think a lot of us are shooting tss to shoot far. While for me and most likely others. It makes the 20,28, and 410 a very very good turkey gun and efficient turkey gun. Where lead back in the day could cause issues with those gauges.
It makes me laugh every time someone talks about TSS and toting a .410 'cause its light and wanting to take a 70 yd shot...Now granted, I am different because idgaf how much the gun kicks or how heavy it is, when I'm huntin', I'm huntin'. but I do not wish to shoot a bird I can't get into <40
'

Spurhunter

I do not wish to shoot a bird I can't get into <40
Why 40? Why not 35 or 27? Because someone, somewhere, sometime in history decided 40 was the gold standard for maximum turkey range and everybody got on board. If you want up close and personal, 40 ain't it. 40 is a pretty good poke in the woods with a shotgun.

themanpcl

Why 40? Why not 35 or 27? Because someone, somewhere, sometime in history decided 40 was the gold standard for maximum turkey range and everybody got on board. If you want up close and personal, 40 ain't it. 40 is a pretty good poke in the woods with a shotgun.
lol, i didn't give much thought to the yardage. i like to be able to call a bird in and shoot it close. maybe thats a better way to phrase it. idgaf what others do...shoot the thing at 70...i'm still gonna get tickled when i hear the story...btw all but 1 of my kills has been inside 20...and yes, 40 in the woods is a distance

REN

Me too! I had rather feel some recoil than 12-15 dollar a round TSS shells. I am sure they are great but I just can't make myself spend that much.

disclaimer this is not directed at you personally, however this is the one "reason" ive always found interesting.

MOST people shoot at 1 turkey a year with % wise people who kill 2 is lower. Guys will have a $100 turkey vest, $300 in calls, brand name camo, $120 boots, spend on leases and gas to drive all over, pay for onx service, have $400+ shoguns, $100 choke, $200 red dot and countless other things to get into the woods. But $10 per shell for shooting 1-2x per year is just to much $$ :)

if you hunt other states and kill 8-10 turkeys a year then you should be relaoding anyways and that cost is much much less then $10 a shell.

AGAIN not at anyone personally and if you have a combo you have confidence in and trust then awesome, Im not implying people SHOULD switch to TSS, Just I never understood the COST being the issue to do so.

Latest posts