Annual “rut report” thread

spinal tap

Worst morning I've ever had in south Marshall followed by a good afternoon of deer activity, but all just feeding in the plot. No signs of chasing or rut behavior whatsoever.

Andy S.

SW TN - I am getting several reports of bucks trailing and chasing does throughout the day, and have witnessed a little of it myself. With these normal to below normal temps, a man needs to be in the woods as much as he can the next 2-3 weeks.

Bone Collector

Rutherford this morning. Had a doe and 2 fawns come in and then the mamma doe left one way and the fawns went the other. About 30 minutes later, doe comes back out and 15 minutes later a spike comes out. He walks down the shooting lane towards me and then acts like he sees something in the woods. Heads in and disappears. 5 minutes later all heck break loose and I see a white tail bounding through the woods. I thought maybe he saw me, but couldn't figure how as it is thick in there. about an hour later he's back and the doe goes running by and he runs off after her. Then about 10 minutes later comes back by alone.

Last night I sat until 4:30 without much action. Had a doe and a fawn come out on the power line break and looked at her hocks. They were not black and she didn't appear to be in heat. 5 -10 minutes later, a small 6-7 pt comes out the same trail goes past her trail, comes by at 10 yds, then cuts down towards where she went. I can see here in the woods with her fawn. He gets over that way and there is a lot of briers, etc. so he can't see them. He finds her scent trail and starts back trailing, before turning around and following it back to her. He got within 10 yds, and just looked at her and then walked away. Just before dark I see a deer and it is him. He is on the wood line and is just standing there. He walked down, made a rub, then walked a few more yds, and bedded down, not 30 yds from her. I waited until it was dark and slipped out.

Last year my trail cams were full of rut activity at this time. I waited until later because the rut is usually later. This year took my first part of vacation TH-F and have seen deer, but no rutting action. Scrapes and rubs are popping up. Now I gotta work M-Th this week, before I am off for 4 days. I hope it doesn't go wide open in the next day or two.

Bushape

Hunted a few evenings around good travel coridors and cut corn in Wayne Co. All the young bucks that I have seen have shown no interest towards the does. Whenever I lose light the woods come alive around me. May not be Alphas but if it is there isn't anything going on to bring them out before dark.

30-06 type of guy

Bushape":7pyowawv said:
Hunted a few evenings around good travel coridors and cut corn in Wayne Co. All the young bucks that I have seen have shown no interest towards the does. Whenever I lose light the woods come alive around me. May not be Alphas but if it is there isn't anything going on to bring them out before dark.
I'm on the Wayne and Hardin county line. Last week soon as it got dark on my way to my vehicle the woods came alive. I had a shooter and 4 point right before that so who knows what was chasing. Yesterday evening last 30mins I watched some chasing just couldn't identify the buck. We was leaving the property this morning about 930 and had a mature buck crossing the to the other property nose to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

smyrnagc

Rutherford County: Hunted all weekend and the two places that I hunt just outside of Smyrna have active scrapes and one in particular had two cedar trees that had been torn up this week. One had three fresh scrapes across the side of a ridge in about a 200 yard stretch. Dirt still moist...Had to stop and pee in two just to mess with them!

The farm I hunt in Lascassas seems to be getting there with scrapes gone cold and bucks roaming. No chasing and mostly young bucks looking. Does seem to be broken up here with several sightings of lone does by me and my partner.

Mr. Hawk

Saturday morning I had 5 different bucks chasing does from daylight until 7:30 or so, they were all young deer, the oldest deer I saw (3.5 pretty 8) cam walking thru at 8:00 all alone

Bgoodman30

Welp that's a wrap for my "rutcation" hunted most of 6 of the last 7 days of the opener.. I had this week circled on the calendar as my time to get it done.. I never saw the 3-4 shooters I was shopping for nor have I seen them on camera? It seemed from my camera surveys that we had a great crop of mature deer but really only saw a bunch of young-uns doing their thing out there... The mature bucks have just vanished? I did see a 3 year old 8 and 3 year old nine that hopefully make it next season. I did take 2 does for the freezer.

More of the same for me in Hickman. Same small bucks pestering the same does.. Actual numbers sightings way down since the cold days of tue-wed. I did make a wide loop on the way out and saw a bunch of fresh rubs. I guess they certainly felt the hunting pressure and are all the way nocturnal...

I put my ML in the safe and looking forward to ducks season now.

I'm going to do things differently next season that's for sure.

aedfe4fc6a412b502474e499cf693f6f.jpg
d191adf464bda5f4b65b8d98d5f16980.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aquaholic

I hunted a different farm in Davidson County this morning... Saw 4 deer, one buck right at daylight with his nose to the ground a little to late to get a good look at him much less a shot... Grunt call didn't even slow him down... A couple hours later I see 2 does coming across behind me... I get stood up and turned to watch if anything was coming behind them, then out the corner of my eye I catch this guy nose to the ground crossing my food plot, by the time I get turned around a decide he's a shooter he's stepping off into the woods, Maaaaaa real loud and he stops behind a couple of trees and bushes, all I have a clear shot at is his neck... Click BOOM, he runs 15 yards back in the food plot, then he got to pose for some pictures before going for a ride to Flowers...
497df043e3343bfe540026e7cdfb354f.jpg
084085b7d2884149168016ec456eb6f0.jpg
584ea9ca83b37e02270f1b016ac3d259.jpg
139b06ffb145d08a931ca7958328ccef.jpg
7e782c4e048026f8379bee59c7c44933.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

mowen

Any updates in SW TN? Still new to hunting. Getting out Sunday Tuesday and Thanksgiving morning.

southernhunter

Nothing yet in Lincoln country, watched 3 bucks feed with doe's one evening this week no signs of interest , on two different farms. Also several bucks still hanging out together.

Had a few scapes pop up in last week. My guess is in my area we are about 1 to 2 weeks out.
This is a little later than normal as typical we see chasing around thanksgivings week, sometimes as soon as the end of muzzleloader season.

I have seen it come a little later as I believe it will be this year. Rutting action seems to vary from farm to farm and year to year,

spinal tap

megalomaniac":q8nii8ex said:
Rut is tapering off on my farms, but still a few does left to be bred. Middle TN

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

What county? I've still not seen any chasing or rut behavior beyond scrapes in south Marshall.

huvrman

Last activity I was on the 12th, right after the snow. Note at 1048 there is no scrape as this small buck walks by the log. At 1049 there is now a scrape and this buck apparently got spooked by the camera. Then at 6:40ish that night another buck walks over the scrape. Over the next 24 hours another small 8 pt came through. Then, the scrape got covered with leaves and no more deer visited it.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,328
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,328
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,328

Aquaholic

Back at my first farm this morning in Davidson County.. So far 3 younger bucks and 2 lone does... Does were alone and not in any hurry and not looking behind themselves, bucks did not come in on either of their trails but we're sure checking things out...
2e851e2ba56473cd85951e224749ed12.jpg

Aquaholic

Farm in Davidson County, saw 14 different bucks this morning,spikes to a 10 point, 2 would have been shooters for me if I hadn't tagged that one on Monday, only 2 bucks were displaying "rutting" activity, the rest were pretty much "cruising" these 2 were at it, the bigger buck on the right bedded down with a doe 35 yards in front of me, the smaller buck on the left came in nose to the ground grunting until the bigger buck stood up started snort wheezing at him... They stood like this for a good 5 mins before the smaller buck slinked away... Bigger buck would have been a nice deer but a G3 and a browtine was broken off.

If you look center and above the green stuff you can see the does ear.
475e3adf35b3e65b6230d85ab1f52a49.jpg

Latest posts