Annual “rut report” thread

JCDEERMAN

We saw one 2.5 chasing. Mostly doe groups, though did see several lonely fawns. I did have several 2.5's and one possible 3.5 cruise past me over the weekend all within 15 yards. That's what it's all about. Still have more opportunities to come hoping a 4.5 slips up. Very cool encounters and made my weekend

Bgoodman30

Finally have a mature deer 10pt 4+yo on camera yesterday afternoon first time since 10/22. I believe he is my #2 I have been after since last season when he was also my #2.

Also mature 8 spotted chasing yesterday morning by buddy but no shot.

Looks like I'm going to give it a go this afternoon.
Hickman county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shanman

Just on I-40 between Knoxville and Crossville the dead deer #'s have slowed way down since last weekend. Bet I saw 20 on that stretch, (east and west bound combined) last weekend. Last 3 days, maybe 4.

Bone Collector

Well, I think it is time to resurrect this thing as I feel the second pop is either here or coming for Mid Tn counties.

Driving in to work from Murfreesboro to Franklin the last 2 mornings has netted me a mature buck spotting on both mornings. First one was under an oak with a doe, and the one this morning was walking by himself. both deer were spotted right around 7:30 am and were in Williamson County.

Bushape

Full swing in southern Wayne county now. Seeing a lot of buck movement and pretty much everything is 6 point or bigger.

CJM1284

Bushape":2hhfp69w said:
Full swing in southern Wayne county now. Seeing a lot of buck movement and pretty much everything is 6 point or bigger.

Exact same observations from me in same part of TN.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
It is wide open here in the south east. The buck I shot yesterday was chasing a doe and this morning I seen a spike,4pt,good 8pt chasing the same doe across a field

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ski

Well not good news. 10 minutes after all that went down, another much larger bodied buck began down the same trail. I couldn't make out the rack real well yet before the shooting started. At the other end of the wood line(another property), I heard in total around a dozen rifle shots from at least two locations. The bigger buck thankfully wasn't to that point yet, and he turned tail & went back the way he came. However, it was just about the right time for all of the other deer to be there. On my way out I saw two does standing in middle of the field looking all around, bewildered. I'm guessing they were the only ones to survive. I got in truck & drove up that way & sure enough in neighbor's drive was a parade of pick up trucks. That's a great 3.5yr old, a strong 1.5yr old, and at least two young does I'm guessing were taken. Days like this I question myself on why I even try. Might as well just shoot anything that moves because if I don't, the next guy will.

MickThompson

Ski":11c5x66g said:
Well not good news. 10 minutes after all that went down, another much larger bodied buck began down the same trail. I couldn't make out the rack real well yet before the shooting started. At the other end of the wood line(another property), I heard in total around a dozen rifle shots from at least two locations. The bigger buck thankfully wasn't to that point yet, and he turned tail & went back the way he came. However, it was just about the right time for all of the other deer to be there. On my way out I saw two does standing in middle of the field looking all around, bewildered. I'm guessing they were the only ones to survive. I got in truck & drove up that way & sure enough in neighbor's drive was a parade of pick up trucks. That's a great 3.5yr old, a strong 1.5yr old, and at least two young does I'm guessing were taken. Days like this I question myself on why I even try. Might as well just shoot anything that moves because if I don't, the next guy will.

And all this time I thought it was deer season...guess I learn something new on here every day.

Ski

MickThompson":mi33vm0s said:
And all this time I thought it was deer season...guess I learn something new on here every day.

That's right. It is deer season and it's good to see folks out enjoying it. But that doesn't mean I cannot be frustrated at times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at anybody. I'm frustrated because I watch these grow up from fawns & do everything I know of in the way of QDM to see them reach adulthood. When it all falls flat in a moment, it kinda feels like the market tanked & I lost a chunk of my 401K. It's nobody's fault. There's nobody to be mad at. It just sucks. It's a lot of breaking ground, planting, keeping minerals out, culling predators, all down the drain & back to square one. It sucks and I'm frustrated.

DRSJ35

Frustrated and mad are not the Same feelings. So I get the frustration. And I get them killing the deer on there property. Everybody has a different goal in hunting. Some to preserve and try to have a healthy herd. And some to kill anything that walks. Which I'm not down grading. I'm just pointing out the difference. But we all are hunters as long as we follow the law.

UTGrad

Ski":33o8sbnz said:

Well it is hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back Home

Wilson County - not sure about others but I havent see a buck chasing in three weeks. Saw two bucks traveling together in a slow walk this morning. Until some of these dow fawns come into heat, things have really cooled off here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ski

DRSJ35":3qnmporl said:
Frustrated and mad are not the Same feelings. So I get the frustration. And I get them killing the deer on there property. Everybody has a different goal in hunting. Some to preserve and try to have a healthy herd. And some to kill anything that walks. Which I'm not down grading. I'm just pointing out the difference. But we all are hunters as long as we follow the law.

That's exactly my point of view. I no doubt didnt express it clearly in the whiny post. I truly am happy for the guys who got the deer. I'm positive they enjoyed the hunt, comradery, and shared success. That's what it's all about.

Hunter 257W

The rut always hits peak in central and southern Franklin county mid to late December. This past week it was really going strong on my farm. Does were running around everywhere all day long avoiding bucks.