23 more days....update 5/12

megalomaniac

Got a call from one of the UT researchers in the turkey study day before yesterday that a radio transmitted hen had begun setting on one of my farms 3 days before and was asking permission to come onto the property to triangulate her actual location to record habitat type selected, then follow her along for depredation through the incubation process. I was thrilled to meet her and show her around.

Interesting (maybe just random, but I think not), the hen chose a bench on a hardwood steep hill that just happened to be 100y away from a new 3 acre food plot I started last year. Intermittent creek running through the middle of the plot. Looks like a perfect spot to raise a family of baby turkeys!

I think she gave away WAY more information that she was supposed to, as I pinned her down on a bunch of specifics that I was most interested in... For example, at the capture site, there were 12 hens fitted with transmitters. This is the first of those 12 who has actually started setting, the others still roaming around throughout the day. I think she was expecting me to ask about whether gobblers were banded or not at the capture site, but I don't give a flip about killing a banded turkey, other than knowing for sure how many springs it survived since capture. The band itself just detracts from the natural beauty of the turkey to me. Several other things I found out I won't post, as I don't want to get her in trouble as well :)

So... fingers crossed in 23 more days she has a successful brood and raises them around the new plot!

megalomaniac

Great info, hopefully she can beat the odds and raise a successful brood and majority of them make it to adulthood. I assume UT researcher called you on cell phone. If so, how did she obtain your cell number?
She called our local game warden to find out who owned it. He has my cell number and reassured her I would love to take her out for anything turkey related!!!!

Boll Weevil

Thanks much for sharing.

Don't know exactly where your farm is mega; upper/middle/central TN? Would you assume SW TN counties would have a greater percentage of setting hens than your area at this time? Would they have started setting somewhat earlier than where the UT study is taking place or same?

DeerCamp

The main flock near me is about 30 birds. Last year we had 2 of those hens running together in may with about 25 poults combined. Made me feel good that at least that many turkeys were able to hatch.

By July that number was down to 10-12 poults, but then we kinda lost track of them after that. I've trapped coyotes and other critters for the last 6 months. I'm hoping it helps in some way.

My neighbor says 15 years ago there were flocks of 100s of turkeys in this bottom, and one time saw over 15 longbeards in a single field. Seems like a pipe dream now, but maybe we can recover some of that.

megalomaniac

Thanks much for sharing.

Don't know exactly where your farm is mega; upper/middle/central TN? Would you assume SW TN counties would have a greater percentage of setting hens than your area at this time? Would they have started setting somewhat earlier than where the UT study is taking place or same?
I'm in middle TN....

I have NO idea when hens breed in other parts of the state, haven't spent any time watching/ hunting them in TN anywhere besides my farms.

But after spending 1000s of days with them on my farms and examining developing poults from nests we've broken during 1st cutting of hay peak breeding is the same year after year after year... April 10-14th. Nest initiation peaks April 17-21. Setting peaks May 1-4. Hatching peaks May 29-June 1. This hen happens to be the early breeder/ nester on the bell shaped curve, while the other 11 will start setting over the next 2 weeks hopefully.

I'm REALLY worried this year is going to be a disaster year in the hayfields in my areas... Early spring greenup with early growth of the fescue makes the fields unusually tall and attractive during nesting site selection. THEN the hammer... unusually cooler weather in April to slow the growth of the fescue which delays cutting of hay by a week. That week delay in cutting hay pushes us back from the 3rd week of May to the 4th week of May. Run a mower around a nesting hen the first 21 days of incubation and she is bailing off unharmed. You lose the nest, but at least the hen survives. Run a mower over a nest the last 7 days of incubation and the hen is not leaving for anything... you lose the nest AND you kill the setting hen as well. I'm afraid we are in for a bloodbath this year due to the early greenup, but cool weather in April.

And of course knowing when actual peak breeding has occurred over the past 30 years is the greatest reason I have pushed so hard for a 2 week delay in opening spring turkey season. Sure, it makes killing gobbling males so much easier delaying the season, and for more fun hunts with more gobbles per hunt than April 1st opening... but the real reason for the delay is to allow 2/3s of all the hens to actually mate before the gobblers are killed.

And there are STILL several hens who haven't yet bred on my farms. Could have shot a double with a friend 4d ago. I called in 4 hens that had two gobblers in tow. He killed one, the other pounced on his bird and he passed me his gun (I wasn't carrying) and was going nuts for me to shoot the other one 20y away. I pushed the gun back and said "I'm good". He just didn't understand.

BPhunter

The main flock near me is about 30 birds. Last year we had 2 of those hens running together in may with about 25 poults combined. Made me feel good that at least that many turkeys were able to hatch.

By July that number was down to 10-12 poults, but then we kinda lost track of them after that. I've trapped coyotes and other critters for the last 6 months. I'm hoping it helps in some way.

My neighbor says 15 years ago there were flocks of 100s of turkeys in this bottom, and one time saw over 15 longbeards in a single field. Seems like a pipe dream now, but maybe we can recover some of that.
The only good coyote is a dead one. Just like wolves only smaller!

TX300mag

15 years ago I saw 60+ several times

Kyboy

I can remember fields in Central Kentucky one behind my house in particular with two different flocks of over 100 birds, I'd say this was in the early 2000s. This is in a 35 acre field, i'll look tonight and see if I can find pictures of them, we took them because there was three smoke phases in the group.

Bgoodman30

Got a call from one of the UT researchers in the turkey study day before yesterday that a radio transmitted hen had begun setting on one of my farms 3 days before and was asking permission to come onto the property to triangulate her actual location to record habitat type selected, then follow her along for depredation through the incubation process. I was thrilled to meet her and show her around.

Interesting (maybe just random, but I think not), the hen chose a bench on a hardwood steep hill that just happened to be 100y away from a new 3 acre food plot I started last year. Intermittent creek running through the middle of the plot. Looks like a perfect spot to raise a family of baby turkeys!

I think she gave away WAY more information that she was supposed to, as I pinned her down on a bunch of specifics that I was most interested in... For example, at the capture site, there were 12 hens fitted with transmitters. This is the first of those 12 who has actually started setting, the others still roaming around throughout the day. I think she was expecting me to ask about whether gobblers were banded or not at the capture site, but I don't give a flip about killing a banded turkey, other than knowing for sure how many springs it survived since capture. The band itself just detracts from the natural beauty of the turkey to me. Several other things I found out I won't post, as I don't want to get her in trouble as well :)

So... fingers crossed in 23 more days she has a successful brood and raises them around the new plot!

That's surprising. I haven't seen many hens in the last week. Assumed most were sitting.

DeerWhisperer

Guys, no to highjack the thread, but i have a question concerning nesting. I have heard both sides but woud like to know the consensus is.

When a hen goes to nest, does she literally stay with the nest 24/7 until they hatch or does she leave the nest in the evenings to roost? I Have heard arguments on both sides.

megalomaniac

Guys, no to highjack the thread, but i have a question concerning nesting. I have heard both sides but woud like to know the consensus is.

When a hen goes to nest, does she literally stay with the nest 24/7 until they hatch or does she leave the nest in the evenings to roost? I Have heard arguments on both sides.
When nest is initiated, she basically just visits the nest site for 30min to an hour each day to lay an egg until her clutch is complete (12 to 14 eggs on average). Once her preset number of eggs is reached, she begins to set (incubate) which causes the embryonic disc on the yolk to go from a state of suspended animation to actively developing. It requires mostly consistent temperatures of approx 99.5 degrees for the poult to develop properly. Incubation lasts 28 days. During the first 21 to 24 days, the hen will take a break from setting for a few minutes up to 30 minutes (depending on ambient temperatures) to grab a drink and a bite to eat at least once daily, sometimes twice... but returns to the nest to continue incubation. She stays on the nest all night without leaving during incubation, turning and rotating the eggs throught the day and night to ensure proper development and exercise the developing poults. The last part of incubation prior to actual hatching is called 'lockdown' which begins day 21-24 (usually closer to day 24). During lockdown, the hen will not leave the eggs, even if she is starving, or even if a predator is approaching. She stops rotating/ exercising the eggs. The eggs are extremely vulnerable during this phase, as the developing poults must orient themselves within the egg with the head facing the internal air sac (located at the larger end of the egg). Around day 27, the poults break into the air sac and begin peeping and the mother increases her vocalizations to the chick. Between 27 and 28, the poult pips the egg shell, gets some new fresh air, then starts zipping the egg shell open to hatch.

megalomaniac

That's surprising. I haven't seen many hens in the last week. Assumed most were sitting.
Many hens when bred leave the flock and begin searching for suitable nesting sites and future brood rearing habitat. Those loners aren't very visible. Some come back to the gobbler during egg laying for repeat matings during egg laying, some dont. I do not think anyone understands this, however.

DeerWhisperer

When nest is initiated, she basically just visits the nest site for 30min to an hour each day to lay an egg until her clutch is complete (12 to 14 eggs on average). Once her preset number of eggs is reached, she begins to set (incubate) which causes the embryonic disc on the yolk to go from a state of suspended animation to actively developing. It requires mostly consistent temperatures of approx 99.5 degrees for the poult to develop properly. Incubation lasts 28 days. During the first 21 to 24 days, the hen will take a break from setting for a few minutes up to 30 minutes (depending on ambient temperatures) to grab a drink and a bite to eat at least once daily, sometimes twice... but returns to the nest to continue incubation. She stays on the nest all night without leaving during incubation, turning and rotating the eggs throught the day and night to ensure proper development and exercise the developing poults. The last part of incubation prior to actual hatching is called 'lockdown' which begins day 21-24 (usually closer to day 24). During lockdown, the hen will not leave the eggs, even if she is starving, or even if a predator is approaching. She stops rotating/ exercising the eggs. The eggs are extremely vulnerable during this phase, as the developing poults must orient themselves within the egg with the head facing the internal air sac (located at the larger end of the egg). Around day 27, the poults break into the air sac and begin peeping and the mother increases her vocalizations to the chick. Between 27 and 28, the poult pips the egg shell, gets some new fresh air, then starts zipping the egg shell open to hatch.
Thanks for the information and clarification.

Bgoodman30

Many hens when bred leave the flock and begin searching for suitable nesting sites and future brood rearing habitat. Those loners aren't very visible. Some come back to the gobbler during egg laying for repeat matings during egg laying, some dont. I do not think anyone understands this, however.

Yeah I saw a bunch of lone hens the week before last. Now not many hens. Lot of afternoon strutters. Then again I haven't been in the woods just driving around....

30-06 type of guy

I've ran into 2 UT researchers at least once or twice the past 3 years out on public here. They talked more than I thought they would. Talk to em if you see em.

Latest posts