2024-2025 Hunting and Trapping Proposals

trkhunter

Never seen 4 a day limit😁
excuse me. 4 a season!!! can you Knightrider please tell me how killing birds does not affect the population!!!!
id love to hear your explanation!!!
you got jokes. i like it. now give me your take on it!!!!

trkhunter

excuse me. 4 a season!!! can you Knightrider please tell me how killing birds does not affect the population!!!!
Can anyone????

knightrider

Im no expert😂 reasonable harvest has no negative effect, but ofcourse overharvest has a negative effect on the population . Thats all i got other than if you ain't trapping quit yer bitchin, and thats nit directed at you but everyone 😂

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Im no expert😂 reasonable harvest has no negative effect, but ofcourse overharvest has a negative effect on the population . Thats all i got other than if you ain't trapping quit yer bitchin, and thats nit directed at you but everyone 😂
I been arguing this for years.I don't understand how hunters harvest has more impact than the predators that are killing birds daily, raccoons raiding the nest, IMO, trapping is the first step to a healthy and better turkey population

trkhunter

thank you for dodging the question!!! so you ate saying killing a single bird does not reduce the population?????

knightrider

thank you for dodging the question!!! so you ate saying killing a single bird does not reduce the population?????
I will play, of course if i kill one it reduces the population, but it doesn't negatively effect the population because i will not kill the only gobbler in a small flock, i hunt about 700 acres of different farms and thousands of public acres and never take more than one from any place that has several gobblers. Every year there is farms and public grounds that i wont kill one because its not justifiable because there isnt enough to take one. Until people learn to self manage and take care if the birds and habitat they have it wont get any better only worse!

sneakybow

Him killing one bird has far less effect on the turkey population than a coon eating a whole nest of eggs, or a possum doing the same. Meanwhile coyotes and bobcats and skunks kill their fair share. Next comes developers destroying thousands of acres of habitat and people hitting turkeys with cars. So,no, increasing the hunting limit by one bird isn't going to decimate the population like you think it will. Get to boiling traps and actually doing something about it.

MidTennFisher

I think our efficiency in killing turkeys is having a greater effect than the season dates or limits. Nowadays there are so many people killing them with strutter decoys or throwing up fans (even worse) and they're killing them a lot farther away with TSS shot. Because what's important is having that photo for social media.

As habitat decreases and hunter numbers increase, if the technology continues to make it easier to kill turkeys with things like hyper realistic looking strutter decoys and TSS loads that can effectively kill one at 75 yds, they don't stand a chance.

I know it's a dream, but I'd love to see a state currently experiencing a turkey decline implement a total ban on decoys. Put a sunset clause on it of 5 years and study the results. I'd like to see if it improves things.

Right now my opinion is that banning decoys will save a lot more turkeys than lowering limits and it will save the right turkeys, most importantly. The dominant Toms will easily breed their hens because they won't be dying opening weekend as they run to fight a strutter decoy. That gets us a lot more eggs on the ground. But until a state tries this, we'll never really know.

K-dub

It's not part of Catoosa. It is newly acquired property that adjoins Catoosa. I also don't see why they don't have some quota hunts unless they just don't want to police it.

But, I would imagine that it will get hunted some by the locals, and probably has been for a while.
Pretty sure this is where TWRA is building their new training academy for new recruits.

trkhunter

im no expert either so its so. humans can kill all they want but we need to limit the smaller predators. afterall we are predators also!!!! sounds like you are getting a kickback from licensing sales!!!

trkhunter

im no expert either so its so. humans can kill all they want but we need to limit the smaller predators. afterall we are predators also!!!! sounds like you are getting a kickback from licensing sales!!!
hard to make the coons and possums pay for there share

BSK

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket (pun intended). Wildlife populations can be extremely complex. Predators definitely ARE a factor in turkey populations. But so are about a dozen other things, from rainfall during nesting time, to temperatures during nesting time, to hunting loss, to a bunch of other things. Predators existed in large numbers during the turkey restoration effort and the turkey population still grew rapidly. Today, predators still play are role, but they aren't the only role nor the single most important role. Poult hatch and survival is the biggest player, and predators are just one piece of that complex puzzle.

knightrider

ok. you are a english major!!!!! obviously not a turkey biologist or math major!! humans killing turkeys reduces the population!!! Can you prove to me that killing a turkey doesnt reduce the population??
Ive answered your silly little question twice with the only way i know to, its obvious you must be a turkey biologist, and no doubt on the advisory board for all the greatest turkey agencies in the country! Get the chip of your shoulder man and life will get much better.
IMG_4019.jpeg

trkhunter

Him killing one bird has far less effect on the turkey population than a coon eating a whole nest of eggs, or a possum doing the same. Meanwhile coyotes and bobcats and skunks kill their fair share. Next comes developers destroying thousands of acres of habitat and people hitting turkeys with cars. So,no, increasing the hunting limit by one bird isn't going to decimate the population like you think it will. Get to boiling traps and actually doing something about it.
interesting!!! so killing one more bird per x of amount of hunters will not effect the population??
kill a human being!! just one. will the human population increase or decrease???? i didnt think math was that hard!! must be common core math!!!

trkhunter

Ive answered your silly little question twice with the only way i know to, its obvious you must be a turkey biologist, and no doubt on the advisory board for all the greatest turkey agencies in the country! Get the chip of your shoulder man and life will get much better.
View attachment 223283
i can definitely tell you this!!! you kill a turkey the population decreases!!! and you are evidently not old enough to remember the good times in southern middle tn !!!! Since you are right. please contact twra and advise them on the turkey population pre chicken yugo/ houses or we can blame it on a 4 day / fall season!!!

knightrider

i can definitely tell you this!!! you kill a turkey the population decreases!!! and you are evidently not old enough to remember the good times in southern middle tn !!!! Since you are right. please contact twra and advise them on the turkey population pre chicken yugo/ houses or we can blame it on a 4 day / fall season!!!

Obviously reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, and im old enough i was turning birds loose out of cardboard boxes in the 80's hoping to have birds to hunt in the future.

Latest posts