25 creedmoor

Jcalder

Decided to build a 25 creedmoor. I know a few of you guys have asked for progress, and I'll do my best to keep it updated. Preferred barrel blanks made the barrel, with .150" freebore vs the standard offering. 1:7 twist, 20" long. Eventually, I'll have a suppressor on it. Used a tikka action, they're relatively cheap and I can get prefit barrel. I was able to do all the work myself. Trijicon credo 2.5-15 scope
IMG_9254.jpeg
IMG_9255.jpeg
IMG_9257.jpeg

Initial testing had me looking for pressure. There's not a ton of info out there, but I knew I needed to start around 40gr of h4350 with the 134 eldm. I ended up have a slight ejector mark at 44.5. I do know some guys got over 3000 fps, but I'm sure their barrels were much longer. I did shoot one at 45gr and had an ejector mark as well Wasn't bad, wasn't a swipe, but was there I'll not go over 44gr at this point.
IMG_9272.png

I did try a group at 42gr during my pressure test load and was happy with the accuracy, but the speed wasn't hardly there. I may come back to it, but we'll see.
IMG_9264.jpeg

Decided to start at 43.5 and 44gr. 44 wasn't great, 43.5 was much better but I was on a spongy bench. The one "flyer" ruined the group, but it's promising.
IMG_9289.jpeg

Went home and shot off a better bench. Results certainly changed. Here's 12.
IMG_9306.jpeg

I made a slight scope adjustment, and shot 3 more.
IMG_9308.jpeg

Currently I'm at .020 off the lands. That's usually where I start and have had good luck. It was suggested to try .050, so that'll be the next test group.

Jcalder

Shot again today. Tried .050 as suggested and it wasn't any better. Ended up getting ejector marks, which is weird. The initial test I tried 42gr, so I loaded 5 at .050" jump and other than a flier, it was great. Not sure what to do about the flyer so I'm open to suggestions.

42gr at .050 jump
IMG_9323.jpeg

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
How would you run your ladder? 43 and 43.5 are terrible. I've got 41.5 to try.
My suggestion is if you can, run a true ladder anywhere between 400-600 yards, looking at vertical dispersion. Once you find a node with 3-4 consecutive shots with minimal vertical dispersion, hone in on a powder charge in that node and then adjust seating depth.

Jcalder

My suggestion is if you can, run a true ladder anywhere between 400-600 yards, looking at vertical dispersion. Once you find a node with 3-4 consecutive shots with minimal vertical dispersion, hone in on a powder charge in that node and then adjust seating depth.
I don't have that kind of range

Jcalder

But I do understand what you're talking about doing

Latest posts