• Advertisement

Annual “rut report” thread

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

Re: Annual “rut report” thread

Postby Andy S. » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Spurhunter wrote:
Andy S. wrote:
mdjuh42 wrote:All depends where youre hunting ...... Northern middle Tennessee is at prime chase phase, other parts of the state may be a little behind.
Ditto. SW TN is usually 10-14 days behind northern middle TN.

Andy, I hunt in Hickory Withe. I haven't seen any mature buck rut activity yet. Just the young ones scraping and thrashing every tree they can get on. I think you are right that we are a little ways out. Is this what you are seeing as well?
Generally speaking yes. I did luck into a mature buck sighting this past weekend at last light, but generally speaking, the last week of November and first week of December are prime in SW TN, assuming we have good weather to increase daylight movement. Second week of December can be great to kill a big mature buck too in SW TN. With that said, a buddy had a mature buck on camera this morning at 7:45 slipping around in the drizzle as the temps dropped, very close to Grand Junction, TN.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Advertisement

Postby TDW05 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Spurhunter wrote:
mdjuh42 wrote:All depends where youre hunting at spurhunter. Northern middle Tennessee is at prime chase phase, other parts of the state may be a little behind. Most of the state's herd will be bred over the next two week period with exceptions to a few religions.
I'm in Fayette county. SW Tennessee. I have a big, mature buck coming out during daylight hours pretty regular, but I've been greedy and working too much. I know I'm hunting Saturday Sunday Monday coming up. Still debating on the overtime. It's hard to turn down double time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just take the double bubble spur, and drop a pin where your stand is at and I’ll hunt it for you! That way I can tell you if you missed anything or not! :poke: :tu: jk lol
TDW05
8 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:53 pm

TDW05 wrote:Just take the double bubble spur, and drop a pin where your stand is at and I’ll hunt it for you! That way I can tell you if you missed anything or not! :poke: :tu: jk lol

You can always count on the good folks of TNDeer when you need a favor! :tu:
Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Andy S. wrote:generally speaking, the last week of November and first week of December are prime in SW TN

My 2 biggest bucks were killed on Nov 27th and Nov 30th, so I agree with you.
Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby UTGrad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:39 pm

I’ve seen an uptick in roadkill in Williamson County. Also I’m starting to see new bucks pop up on trail cameras. My observations are the bucks are starting to split up, roam larger tracts of land and get more competitive. I haven’t seen a hot doe get chased yet. Also in Franklin I’m able to watch several mature does almost daily and I’ve yet to see a buck show up to harass them.

It’s certainly close and now is the time to start sitting on stand as long as one can stand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I wouldn't take her to a dog fight, even if she had a chance to win"
UTGrad
16 Point

Postby catman529 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Grunted in a 3.5 year old 8 point this evening. Didn’t get a shot but had him at 25 yards. When I first saw him I believe he was cruising the downwind side of doe bedding. Would have been my best public land deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
catman529
Non-Typical

Postby megalomaniac » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 pm

I've had 2 new bucks show up on my cell cam (one 3.5, the other 2.5). They are searching hard right now.

Try to find does that have lost their fawns. They usually come into estrus earlier than the does with fawns. Hunt the does and this week should be great in middle TN

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
megalomaniac
14 Point

Postby Racknquack » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 am

Seen three small bucks this morning in Bradley County. All three came through the oaks nose down. Had my first scrapes show up this week.
Racknquack
4 Point

Postby gunrunner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 am

I just saw a big mature buck walking head down just south of Edwin Warner park in Nashville.They are just about to bust loose.I did not see the doe,but this guy was hot on the trail.
gunrunner
Spike

Postby TraumaSlave » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 am

Chasing is on in Monroe county. I have seen X2 8s, X2 4s, and a 12" 2 this morning. All chasing the 3 different does I saw. Too bad they were either too close to get scoped or too far out for a shot.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.
TraumaSlave
8 Point

Postby mdjuh42 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Total of 5 bucks this morning, ranging from 4 points to 8, cruising and chasing. Did hear plenty of grunts in the thick stuff through out the morning. wilson county.
mdjuh42
Spike

Postby tke466 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Got to hunt 3 days last weekend... in Sumner. No does in heat. Bucks are chasing but as the does get too far away they stop pursuing. Found a few rubs and scrapes. My cameras are showing a huge jump in buck activity so they are cruising. I had 5 bucks come by the stand on Sunday AM, some shadowing each other. One did not like I grunted at him... one came back to me when I grunted and wheezed. I started seeing nose down bucks starting around Oct 22nd. Next weeks cold is going to provide some excellent rut hunting in Sumner County.
tke466
Button

Postby Bone Collector » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 pm

mdjuh42 wrote:Big boys are up in Wilson county. Witnessed two mature deer chasing, one yesterday afternoon and one this morning before i couldnt take the rain anymore. ITS HERE!

Where about in Lebanon? Will be hunting off exit 239 (Watertown) Sunday AM.
Semper Fi!
Bone Collector
16 Point

Postby poorhunter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Saw a midsized 8 chasing a doe on the way home from work this evening right at twilight. SW Hickman County
poorhunter
10 Point

Postby Bone Collector » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 am

Rutherford county.

Brother missed a good buck this morning. He’s not happy. Had another one in front of him but it was too dark.

He left. I’m at the other side of the property watching squirrels....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi!
Bone Collector
16 Point

Postby Bgoodman30 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Kind of weak activity compared to this weekend last year... Small bucks pushing and some cruising but don’t think any does in yet...?

Bgoodman30
4 Point

Postby catman529 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Shot a 2.5yo 8 point this evening checking the downwind side of a bedding area and working a scrape

catman529
Non-Typical

Postby SC Manimal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 pm

I jumped a big fella and his lady friend today about 1:15. They were piled up in a thicket drinking wine and listening to Barry Manilow. Sadly I did not get a shot (Rhea Co.).
SC Manimal
4 Point

Postby fairchaser » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Counted 75-100 dead deer on the highway from Missouri to Iowa. The rut must be kicking up North big time.
fairchaser
12 Point

Postby Lost Lake » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Henry County. Saw nine different bucks this weekend, most were 1.5 year olds, with one nice 3.5. All were cruising and hitting scrapes. A couple of the young ones were pestering does.

Another couple of weeks is usually peak there.
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and they won't have shoes. - Jack Handey
Lost Lake
8 Point

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk