Wyoming Elk Increase

tellico4x4

Just saw in Eastmans blog that WY just added 2,000 additional elk tags to the draw this year. Most of state above objective as much as 35%. However the areas around Jackson are still below (-17%).

Maybe this will help a bit in the points creep. Two grandsons & I are sitting on 12pts each for antelope, deer & elk. Time is quickly approaching to start using them.

BlackEagle1

12 points is impressive. You must be holding out for something really special. I gave up on the creep. I just burn'm when I got'm. Once my current ones are spent I'm going to play my next hand a bit different.
Seems like those sudden tag increases often fall into areas with access issues.

AT Hiker

So, about 300 extra NR elk tags. As long as they are all not in the general units, it should dampen point creep some.

Im at 9 points, I stopped chasing the Cloud Peak Unit....no idea what Im gonna do now.

tellico4x4

Should have 13 but was building new house 5 yrs ago & forgot to buy that year....

Would really like to hunt some of Red Desert units, will see how that pans out. Deer have taken a beating past few yrs

Waiting on one grandson to finish 2 1/2 more semesters of pharmacy school,then we'll start burning them.

AT Hiker

Should have 13 but was building new house 5 yrs ago & forgot to buy that year....

Would really like to hunt some of Red Desert units, will see how that pans out. Deer have taken a beating past few yrs

Waiting on one grandson to finish 2 1/2 more semesters of pharmacy school,then we'll start burning them.
Maybe he can score a job with the Indian Health Service at one of the Wyoming reservations, then you would have a in! Haha

My wife interned a brief stint at Ft Washaki, I was really pushing for her to apply!

tellico4x4

He's actually in Anchorage right now doing some of his rotations. We hunted one trip in Ak when he was 11 & he liked it enough to go back. I've dropped plenty of hints about him taking a job up there for a few years!

bowhunterfanatic

Maybe he can score a job with the Indian Health Service at one of the Wyoming reservations, then you would have a in! Haha

My wife interned a brief stint at Ft Washaki, I was really pushing for her to apply!
That's awesome! I did a stint at Washakie when I was in pharmacy school. Asked to go in Sept or October but didn't get that fortunate. My preceptors were all big elk hunters so I would've gotten to tag along I'm sure.

AT Hiker

That's awesome! I did a stint at Washakie when I was in pharmacy school. Asked to go in Sept or October but didn't get that fortunate. My preceptors were all big elk hunters so I would've gotten to tag along I'm sure.
She was there in Sept around 10 or so years ago. I flew out to drive her back home and was lucky enough to sneak in a Antelope hunt after we spent some time in YNP.

She told me some of her preceptors had horses they hunted off of.

We would love to retire to WY and the way her retail job is going here she would probably agree to go sooner than later!