Wyoming Elk Hunters?

Jmed

Looking into wyoming elk for a future hunt. Planning a DIY hunt with a couple friends in the future. Just wanted to hear what areas you guys may have been to for elk? Looking for a quality, public land hunt.

AT Hiker

WY is arguably one of the best manged states for Elk. Few problems, unguided non-resident hunters are not allowed to hunt the Wilderness and grizzly bears encompass a large portion of the quality Elk grounds.

If I were you I would start to study Elk units outside grizzly range and draw odds. Maybe even a cow hunt in a unit that has high Elk numbers and decent success ratios on kills. If your not using horses keep it realistic, packing out a 100lb load is a strain on the most elite athletes.

Mattt

I hunt area 7, but I have private access.public land at Laramie peaks is a zoo. You need private ground. I think Colorado is a better state for diy on public ground. I'm not trying to discourage you, just make sure you have access before you head out there. Elk require a lot of real estate.

BlackEagle1

We all want Quality public land hunts out west!!!!! Lol You pretty well have 2 options in Wyoming. You can get comfortable and start building points (you will need a bunch) or you can hunt general areas every other year or so depending on how much you like paying. Colorado does have a lot more opportunity in general. Most people guard their favorite areas because of the time and money invested in finding/learning one. That being said... I leave a week from today to try my hand in the cowboy state :super:

Latest posts