WTB Rifle for my boys

gobblesandgrunts

So my boys are 9 and 6. We have really been practicing with their daisies on shooting and gun safety is the main reason. I feel they are ready to shoot a real rifle. They want to go rifle hunt with me this fall as well. I was thinking maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor for them. But i just left an excavation company that I was working for a friend and got a new teaching position. Needless to say the way the checks fell we haven't had any income in 7 weeks on my end. We have been getting by by the skin of our teeth basically. BUT I want to get them as familiar with the gun as soon as possible and early as possible for the season. Would the 6.5 be the best route? Or is there another gun/caliber that we could more or less afford ATM? Thanks in advance for the insight or offers.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Do you reload? If so then cartridge won't matter. Youth loads are easy to develop for just about any cartridge. Gun fitment is most important.

6.5G is a really good option. Especially in an AR. But the Howa mini is a great little rifle for a decent price. The Howa is not a true youth rifle, but does have a shorter LOP than most. I have both for my kids, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the cartridge on deer up to 200yd myself. I started my kids out on the AR for its collapsible stock, then I move them into bolt actions when they get bigger. Remember, lighter and shorter guns recoil more than longer and heavier ones, so a heavy barrel AR has very little recoil, but an M4 configuration may have quite a bit to them.

6.5C may be a little much for young kids just starting out, but a fine low recoiling deer cartridge with the proper loads if you find something in a rifle that fits them. Use 120gr deer loads for recoil.

.243 will also work, but I'm not a fan of it for personal reasons. I won't put it down, but I feel that the 6.5C is close enough in recoil with greater frontal diameter and heavier bullets that I would lean that direction if I was going with a "full action" rifle. The main thing is getting a rifle that fits them. (Notice a theme here?)

Most of all, keep their shots behind the shoulder with any of these unless you are using a stout bullet. A quartering-to shoulder shot is great if you have a bullet that can get to the vitals, but can be a mess if the bullet blows up. That really goes for any cartridge, but even more so for the smaller ones.

I love getting kids started in shooting and hunting. I also teach youth shooting sports to beginners through 4H. It's better to get them started right than to try to fix bad habits after they have already been started. Don't push them too fast, and if they're not ready then let them wait until they are: each kid is different in their growth and development. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

LOTS of dry firing. Probably 5:1 or better over actual shooting. Good practice that keeps them from developing a flinch.

Gravey

I'm a fan of a 243 for kids. Shot placement matters but it is very kid friendly.
My son at 9 started with a .243 single shot. Not sure, but should be one of the cheapest you can buy. When he was 12 he moved up to a 7mm-08. He's 16 now and still with the 7-08.
My son killed his first deer with a NEF handi rifle in .243 when he was 7. Liked it so much I bought another encore frame and put a .243 barrel on it and hunted with it myself for several years. Using 95-grain Fusions.

puppy

260 Rem is what I bought for my daughter, at 10 yo and 55lbs. Used a Encore platform with a M4 style stock and it works great. Liked it so much that is all I have rifle hunted with myself for the last 2 years.

Bambi Buster

First and by far most important, find a rifle that will comfortably fit them both (that may be a real challenge for the 6-9 age group). Then, and only then, have the caliber discussion. A firearm that's painful to shoot or impossible to shoot accurately is a terrible thing to impose on a young shooter, regardless of caliber.

DoubleTap

With 2 young men, find a caliber that is readily available and not to expensive. I'd get the 9yo an 308 and the 6 a 243, as one grows out of the 308, the 6yo will be ready for it. Sell the 243 to fund the 9yo new firearm. Good luck

chart1300

260 Rem , 6.5 Creed , 7mm 08 and the 350 Legend. Nothing wrong with 243 at all but there are better choices now In my humble opinion. The 350 Lgend is a fairly new comer to the dance (2018-19) if memory serves. It's a great round to about 200 yards, it's very slight on recoil and ammo is super easy to find and cheaper than most anything else. Ruger predator youth would be a great choice! I have one and it's a solid 100 yard sub MOA rifle. Just my 2 cents. Good luck I hope they both kill one.

Latest posts