WTB Rifle for my boys

Kimber45

260 Rem , 6.5 Creed , 7mm 08 and the 350 Legend. Nothing wrong with 243 at all but there are better choices now In my humble opinion. The 350 Lgend is a fairly new comer to the dance (2018-19) if memory serves. It's a great round to about 200 yards, it's very slight on recoil and ammo is super easy to find and cheaper than most anything else. Ruger predator youth would be a great choice! I have one and it's a solid 100 yard sub MOA rifle. Just my 2 cents. Good luck I hope they both kill one.
Agree.. My only add to that would be, check pricing and availability of 260/7mm08 ammo pre-buy to make sure you can deal with that price… unless you're a loader. 6.5 and 350 legend are inexpensive and available at wallyworld.

gobblesandgrunts

I don't reload so I'll probably go with the 300BO 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm going to try to find one from them to shoot and go from there I think. Thank you for all of the input.

MODEL7FAN

I don't reload so I'll probably go with the 300BO 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm going to try to find one from them to shoot and go from there I think. Thank you for all of the input.
A 243 is a fine choice. I've never lost a deer with one. A 7-08 would be my top choice for the 9yo. The 7-08 will be a better choices at longer range beyond 400 yards with more energy

uncle_loue

If you go with 243 I have a Ruger American Compact in 243 with a vortex 3-9 on it I'd be interested in selling. Hunted with it one season then got a 308 for Christmas and its been taking up space in my safe since.

hitek7

I have taken 15 kids (ages 6-13) on hunts to shoot their first. Only 2 of these had shot the hunting rifle before pulling the trigger on deer. All of them did shoot a scoped .22 many times before going hunting. I made sure they could hit consistently at 50 yds with the .22 before we went. I had 2 misses out of the 15 kids on the first shot. Some may frown on this but it has worked for us.

Most were shot with a .243 but there are other choices for good calipers. None of them mentioned anything about recoil of the gun after shooting the deer. Just food for thought.

tpgarrett21

lots of good suggestions on here so far... I've been eyeing a cva scout 243 online they'd probably be ballpark 350 in hand maybe less if you didn't want stainless. they also come in 300 BO. they have bergara barrels. and would be a decent option on price.. other than finding a cheap scope. BUT, honestly if you're really thinking on price. you might could catch a used axis for cheap or try an SKS, ammo is easy to find, accuracy and recoil would be fine, and the round would work well for the distance a 9 and 6 year old could manage... just a thought.