Winter cats?

catman529

What are some tips for winter cats? besides fishing the deep channels of course. I mainly fish a small river (Harpeth river in Franklin) and I know of some good spots where I catch em in the summer. I know where some of the deep channels are. And of course I sometimes catch a good channel cat in the channels....anyway, my username isn't catman for no reason. I came up with it when I was 11 or 12 and really big into fishing, especially catfishing. I guess it kind of stuck. Haven't caught a cat since last May when I turned 18 I went out to a good secret hole on the river and fished with my dad.

So anyway sorry for the rabbit trail...just wondering what you all do for winter cats? I am thinking deep channels, fresh cut bait and a lot of patience. I bank fish 98% of the time.

Thanks, tight lines

catman529

Thanks

Hope RSimms shows up here otherwise I might shoot a PM

TNTomtaker I forgot about current for a little...thanks for reminding me. Seems like fish in general don't like the current when it's cold except for coldwater fish like trout.

Blount County Hunter

I would use chicken liver for channel cats, always worked good for me, the current might rip off the chicken liver, but a trebel hook would help keep on the bait, good luck catman

catman529

Caught a good channel cat last May like I said...I was using a pigeon liver for bait. Took the young pigeon squab from the nest and saved the giblets. The catfish liked it...

shopson

We catch them in the deepest holes using a small piece of chicken liver. One liver makes about 8 baits and cut them up before you go.

vanleerbuckbuster

fish the outside of the river bends bait with fresh cut shad or skipjack. one of the most important things you can do when fishing for winter cats is just be patient. some of my biggest had come when its winter time

catman529

haha I doubt winter catfishing will be any less slow but I could be wrong.

Now I gotta decide this weekend between catfishing or some early shed hunting.

Latest posts