Who has a Jack Miner Band?

rsimms

Who here has been fortunate enough to take a duck carrying a Jack Miner leg band? I did, decades ago, and recently came across the band stuck away in my Man Cave.

But I couldn't remember when and where so I set about doing some research. Turns out, the answer was hidden away on my own computer.

Here's the story: https://newschannel9.com/news/local...ner-migratory-bird-sanctuary-hunting-mallard#

miner_band1.jpg
miner_band2.jpg
miner_band4.jpg

Titanxd17

I have a mallard hen miner band from 2004 taken in Camden bottoms out of 131.

Since then that's why I always shoot the hens 😏

Last edited:

Dodge Man

I know a few people that have killed one in my hunting group. But I have never been in a blind when one was killed. I have seen very few regular bands while hunting. We kill around 500 ducks a season and usually average 1-2 bands a season. I know some areas that average closer to 1 band every 200 birds killed.

GUNNERX2

Who here has been fortunate enough to take a duck carrying a Jack Miner leg band? I did, decades ago, and recently came across the band stuck away in my Man Cave.

But I couldn't remember when and where so I set about doing some research. Turns out, the answer was hidden away on my own computer.

Here's the story: https://newschannel9.com/news/local...ner-migratory-bird-sanctuary-hunting-mallard#

View attachment 193053View attachment 193054View attachment 193055
I also killed a hen mallard with a Jack Miner band #B90. Mine came on Dec. 24, 1992 on Old Hickory WMA. If I remember correctly, they only banded 280 ducks in 1990. My son killed a mallard drake with a Jack Miner band in Jan. '09 that was banded in Nov. '04 also on Old Hickory WMA. Back when you still access the Miner Foundation archives, I recall seeing an entry where one hunter reported killing two drake mallards with Jack Miner bands that were 2 numbers apart out of the same bunch of birds, also on Old Hickory WMA. That would have been around 2017.

WilcoKen

I also killed a hen mallard with a Jack Miner band #B90. Mine came on Dec. 24, 1992 on Old Hickory WMA. If I remember correctly, they only banded 280 ducks in 1990. My son killed a mallard drake with a Jack Miner band in Jan. '09 that was banded in Nov. '04 also on Old Hickory WMA. Back when you still access the Miner Foundation archives, I recall seeing an entry where one hunter reported killing two drake mallards with Jack Miner bands that were 2 numbers apart out of the same bunch of birds, also on Old Hickory WMA. That would have been around 2017.
Awesome!

XCR-2

Me and 2 buddies had 2 green heads and a hen land in the decoys probably around 2001, we all agree to water away from left to right, buddy on the far right got the jack minor. I have to admit I was a bit jealous but excited for him at the same time.

rsimms

Really! I had no idea they used the same band number(s). You can access a lot of their records online, but not everything - especially the older stuff.

GUNNERX2

Really! I had no idea they used the same band number(s). You can access a lot of their records online, but not everything - especially the older stuff.
I don't remember when they made the change to the current system but the B90 referred to the 2nd banding group in 1990.

Biggun4214

I know a man that saw a mallard drake lying beside the road. For some reason he decided to check it for a band and it had a Miner band on it.

Latest posts