Who’s Still Squirrel Hunting

Displaced_Vol

I really wanted to get out more this fall but have only managed 2 trips since dove season slowed down. First one was a total bust, gale force winds all day but I did find a good stand of hickories that had been cut all to pieces. Second trip I saw a couple, looks like they were running on the ground and ran up trees briefly before back to the ground. Never got a shot on either before I had to head back.
I've got this new CZ and scope dialed in pretty well and I am loving the simplicity of just getting out without a lot of unnecessary junk and enjoying the fall woods.
Anybody still chasing squirrels and where should I be looking as we get later into fall?

Buzzard Breath

This time of the year, I'm bowhunting every chance I can get. But, I always take notice of the squirrel activity. They are hitting the acorns hard right now. We've got very few oak trees that produced around where I hunt, but the ones that did are covered up in squirrels. They're also still hitting the walnut trees.

Displaced_Vol

Hahah no doubt. I really wished it hadn't been so windy when I found all those hickories. It was a massacre of husks all over the ground. I tried to go back to that same area on trip # 2 but there was a truck in the parking lot. I didn't figure they were headed that direction given where I've seen hunters in the past and the layout of the tract, but I still didn't want to come in on somebody so I decided to try a new spot.
Maybe get out again this weekend or next.

Smo

050A6881-672A-41D2-8CD6-F3A5E82FDE34.jpeg

Smo

The gun is a Remington Model 33 it belonged too my Dad.
I've killed squirrels with it myself for close too 60 years..
Single shot , bolt action.. It prefers .22 longs over shorts or LR…😎
It does have open sights, the rear is a small vee notch and the front is a bead…

20 - 30 yards it's pretty consistent… when I do my part.

Another casualty from another day…😬

25A54900-9EB3-4B05-8485-A412BF65958C.jpeg

Displaced_Vol

The gun is a Remington Model 33 it belonged too my Dad.
I've killed squirrels with it myself for close too 60 years..
Single shot , bolt action.. It prefers .22 longs over shorts or LR…😎
It does have open sights, the rear is a small vee notch and the front is a bead…

20 - 30 yards it's pretty consistent… when I do my part.

Another casualty from another day…😬

View attachment 154577
That's awesome

cruff10

I ran dogs at chuck swan today. Treed 3 Dens and make one kill. It was bad dry. No other hunters. Ran into a hiker said he had been hiking. 5 Miles seen 1 squirrel. They didn't stir today

Displaced_Vol

I made it out for an hour Friday afternoon. Ended up being windier than expected & predicted. Saw 1 way far away and one ran across the road as I was leaving.

KPH

I wish I could go. Had one behind the house yesterday going down a metal fence in the high wind and ran it was fun watching him hang on.

opportunistic

I really wanted to get out more this fall but have only managed 2 trips since dove season slowed down. First one was a total bust, gale force winds all day but I did find a good stand of hickories that had been cut all to pieces. Second trip I saw a couple, looks like they were running on the ground and ran up trees briefly before back to the ground. Never got a shot on either before I had to head back.
I've got this new CZ and scope dialed in pretty well and I am loving the simplicity of just getting out without a lot of unnecessary junk and enjoying the fall woods.
Anybody still chasing squirrels and where should I be looking as we get later into fall?
Haven't found a bad squirrel spot yet. I'm new to TN so iv been squirrels hunting while scouting for deer

Kelljp

I ran dogs at chuck swan today. Treed 3 Dens and make one kill. It was bad dry. No other hunters. Ran into a hiker said he had been hiking. 5 Miles seen 1 squirrel. They didn't stir today
Been wanting to try squirrel hunting on Chuck Swan, do they let you hunt on non quota deer hunt days ?

rong

I usually wait until the deer seasons are over to even start. Looks like we got an extension to the late season this year.

Kelljp

Same here, nothing worse than walking in on a deer hunter with TN seasons a couple of weeks in September and February is about the only time I can hunt squirrels, rabbit or grouse without taking a chance of messing a deer hunter up. One reason I don't keep hunting dogs any more.

Displaced_Vol

I'm by no means done for the year. Been deer hunting our gun season & took a bird trip to KS for a couple days. Duck season will occupy most my time when I'm not working from here on out but I'm not going to press it if we don't have weather & birds. So, these bushy tails ain't out of the woods yet.

Latest posts