White Mountain Carbine

GOODWIN

Anything be done to fix this awful 20lb trigger? Picked up one the other day for a good deal...great shape. 50 cal with the faster twist 1-28 or 1-32 whatever they are. Seems it'll be a lightweight fun gun to carry. Took it to the range today and man it was picky. Finally got it grouping decent with 80gr 2f and the 275 gr maxi hunter. But the trigger is horrific. Anybody ever worked on one themselves?

Wobblyshot1

I've taken apart and put back together countless side locks, both percussion and flint. They all operate basically the same but the new locks, as well as the TCs use coil springs instead of the more traditional leaf spring. The first thing that I would do is remove the lock, give a look over to see if you can physically see a cause in the lock itself for a heavy pull. While it's out, give it a good cleaning and then cycle it a few times paying attention to just how much pressure it takes to release the sear from the full chocolate chip cookie notch. This and a little lubrication on moving parts and contact points sometimes is all it needs. I saw a lock on ebay that had the little plunger that bears on the top of the sear frozen. Something like this could definitely effect the trigger pull. Check also, while the lock is out, the trigger and that it is moving freely in the stock. If all this appears ok, then the problem is likely with the sear/tumbler engagement. To address this will require disassembly of the lock and polishing or adjusting of these parts. I hope this helps and let me know if you figure it out.

GOODWIN

Cleaned a bunch of gummed up lube ( looked like graphite) out of the trigger assembly and put some fresh oil on it. Didn't seem to help. Plan to get the Dremel out and polish some of the parts. May try to weaken the spring. Work in progress.

GOODWIN

Thanks that was good info. Think I'll replace the sear spring first to see if that helps. Seems like an easy cheap fix if it will reduce the pull.

Stykbow

Good info here. My FIL has a ML with a set trigger. The set trigger is fine, but you have to squeeze the crap out of the main trigger even after engaging the set trigger. I might do some investigation after reading this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smo

A lot of times there will be a small sliver of wood binding in the lock mortise. Or could simply be just rubbing against the wood. Look at the tightness of the lock screws too.

Latest posts