Where to set pins for under the tree stand on bow site.

Nsghunter

I put a new bow sight on and it's my first time ever setting one up. It's a 5 pin. Should I set the first pin at 10 yards? If you set up one at 10 yards can you still shoot directly under you from the tree stand with that pin? Or should I set it at 0 or 5 yards to shoot under the stand or closer than j 10 yards

TNDeerGuy

Let's see if I can do this, it's hard over the internet. Peep to pin and beyond is a straight line. The nock point and rest are below is another line, but a parabolic line. The two lines will not be parallel and the arrow line will travel a parabolic curved path of arrow line twice. (see pic attached)The parabolic curve of the arrow will intersect the line of the peep/pin twice. If you're set at 20yds, your first point of intersection will be around the 9-10yd measurement and then will cross again at the 20yd mark. Because the height difference of the rest/nock line to the peep/pin line you will shoot low using the 20yd pin, if you're shooting at let's say 5yds. If you use a longer pin (30-40yd) you make up for that height difference as you lower the first point of intersection. To shoot 5yds, I use my 40yd marked pin. Every setup will be sightly different but it's something you just need to play with and shoot for yourself.

TNDeerGuy

After going over this in my head, I would greatly recommend you not to take that steep angled shot--there are too many things that can go wrong and it's a low percentage shot that usually requires a follow up shot or a lengthy tracking job. If they're that close, chances are you will get a much more desirable opportunity within seconds once they get out to 10yds or more.

Not saying it can't be done, because plenty of people have done it, myself included, but it's a problematic and highly technical shot (gotta bend at the waist 90degrees) that probably should be avoided, but it's good to know the info regardless.

WRbowhunter

TNDEERGUY like your 2nd answer better. That first post had me going WHAT? I'm sure your right on 100%. To Answer the original posters question just do 20/30/40/50. Short shots are tough and if you don't bend at the waist your going to shoot high. Shot one at 4 yds once while up in a tree about 20 feet. Had to stand on my toes to keep my bow from hitting the stand. Deer went 30 yds. Think that was the most difficult shot I ever made.

TNDeerGuy

WRbowhunter":1i8vi0r7 said:
TNDEERGUY like your 2nd answer better. That first post had me going WHAT? I'm sure your right on 100%. To Answer the original posters question just do 20/30/40/50. Short shots are tough and if you don't bend at the waist your going to shoot high. Shot one at 4 yds once while up in a tree about 20 feet. Had to stand on my toes to keep my bow from hitting the stand. Deer went 30 yds. Think that was the most difficult shot I ever made.

Told ya it was a tough one to answer, because it is so technical...lol. I've answered it a bunch in person, but never in this format so I'm sorry.

How about this and you'll just need to trust me: to shoot 20yds aim with 20yd pin, To shoot 10yds aim with 20yd pin, to shoot 5yds use your 40yd pin. That better? LOL :D

tree_ghost

TNDeerGuy":2lsugto2 said:
WRbowhunter":2lsugto2 said:

Told ya it was a tough one to answer, because it is so technical...lol. I've answered it a bunch in person, but never in this format so I'm sorry.

How about this and you'll just need to trust me: to shoot 20yds aim with 20yd pin, To shoot 10yds aim with 20yd pin, to shoot 5yds use your 40yd pin. That better? LOL :D

Technically it was a perfect answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

dhpro":3jwsh3cc said:
Set At 25 yards and shouldn't be to far off from 0 to 20 if bow is in 300 fps range

Not exactly true....0-7 yards you will be way low even shooting 300fps. Reference the drawing above to understand why.

dhpro

tree_ghost":hnze9nr0 said:
dhpro":hnze9nr0 said:
Set At 25 yards and shouldn't be to far off from 0 to 20 if bow is in 300 fps range

Not exactly true....0-7 yards you will be way low even shooting 300fps. Reference the drawing above to understand why.

Still be in heart range .figured he just started shooting don't have to be complicated.

Latest posts