When do you kill does?

rem270

I generally like to kill does during bow season and early mz season in Ky. Mostly during bow season because i get trigger happy with the bow.

I usually try to stay away from killing does during rifle because usually the ruts in full swing and i like to stay incognito as possible. After the shot, i have to bring the 4 wheeler or truck to pick it up, i know they probably dont pay as much as attention as i think but i guess it makes me feel better about little pressure as possible in the area.

I got 3 people wanting a deer, and with only 1 buck tag i guess i have no choice but to shoot a few does. Will probably try to do it early as possible and get it over with. It will be fun doing it though

cfmartin1833

I usually bust does in bow season too. My past experience on the property I hunt is that when I kill a doe, the rest of the does in tha group get skidding for several days. I don't want the does being skidding during any rutting activity so I usually try to take tem early or very late in the season.

shopson

We killed 7 on 180 acre lease with bows and they are still everywhere. Some would have died today if things had gone right.

Rakkin6

Yeah I was going to say this is an old thread saw 2012 has the date but I will play along. I have decided that I am going to take my does has early has possible this year. From the regular season opener thru the 3rd week of October. Lay off them pre rut and rut and start on them again in December. The past couple years having limited time to hunt I let a lot walk off in hopes a nice buck would be following behind them. Needless to say I let to many walk and didn't fill my freezer.

rem270

On cold days only
Same here now. I clicked on the deer forum and seen my name and thought I don't remember posting that. But it was 2012 lol. I've completely changed my mindset since then. I'd much rather not fool with them in the heat anymore and if I do shoot a doe which is unlikely anymore I'll do it on a cooler day.