cdw338

Marinaded flatiron steaks on the grill
Twice baked potato
Beer bread
Ice tea
salad with home made dressing
With home made jack daniels dipping sauce

jb3

Gnocchi w/puttanesca sauce for the boys, hot italian sausage w/asiago ravioli w/puttanesca for me. Wife will be at the gym, so she'll be lucky to get leftovers.

JimFromTN

BowGuy, do you make your own venison andui sausage? Do you put it in a casing and smoke it?

Last night I had home made spicy crab cakes which have a lousiana/cajun flare to them served on a bed of spicy cole slaw with a remoulade sauce poured over the top. For lunch today I am toasting some whole wheat bread and speading the remoulade sauce on it and then putting a couple of crab cakes and then some of the cole slaw. I love left overs.

JimFromTN

I usually get it at Harris Teeter. If you can catch it on sale, they sell 1lb cans of crab claw meat at the fish counter. I think I paid 7.99 for a 1 lb can. Its usually $11 or $12 a can. I have seen it as cheap as $6.99 a can on sale. It has to be kept in the frig even though it is in a can and it will keep for up to a year according to the people behind the counter. Its actually very good crab meat. You will be surprised when you open the can.

jb3

BW Harris T has a location just off of 440, 21st Ave exit, across the street from a burger joint called Brown's Diner. There is also one in the Belle Meade area, across the street from St. Thomas hospital. They do have good meats and seafood.

By the way, tonight on Food Channel, the show "Best I ever ate" is about hot and spicy foods. There is a restaurant on Murf. Road called Razz's which will have their jamby pasta featured.

Thanks for the tip J. I've always wondered about it being in the can. I will check into HT.

JimFromTN

I looked out on the Harris Teeter store locator map and they don't have any going out east of town towards lebenon which kind of surprised me. The 2 stores jb3 mentioned are probably the easiest to find. The one in Belle Meade is in the old Belle Meade theater. The meats and seafoods are the best priced items in the store. Their HT brand products are not too badly priced. The produce is outragously priced. I go for the seafood and steaks. They usually have either ribeyes or ny strips on sale for $4.99 a pound. They have pretty good fresh andouli sausage in their meat counter for around $3.99 to $4.99 a pound. Sashimi grade tuna medallions for around $4.99 to $5.99 a pound. I blackenned some of those the other night. I like them rare. They usually have some good sized shrimp on sale for a good price and sometimes they have mussles and oysters on sale as well.

I don't cook like that everyday. Probably only 2 to 3 times a week at most.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Jim the best produce I have found lately is in the Aldi stores. Their fruit are unbeatable. Also the larger Kroger stores have some good crab meat and the frozen whole softshells are not bad, either.

I get my crawfish shipped to me in 50# bags from someplace called Black River Supply. They cost a fortune but come to you still alive.

I love oysters and clams and mussels but have become slightly afraid of oysters lately due to mercury poisoning.

JimFromTN

Aldi is one of my go to stores. You just have to remember bags and a quater. Sometimes they have avacodos for 49 cents each. Their prices on oranges have been really good lately. When I do a big grocery run, I go up charlotte ave and start at Aldi, then come down charlotte ave to K&S market, then over to Harris Teeter in Belle Meade.

I worry about pollution also when it comes to shellfish as well as some of the resident species of fish in those bays along the gulf coast that have paper mills in them. I was down in Gulf Shores last week for my daughter's spring break and I could not resist getting a dozen raw oysters and a beer at King Neptunes. They were $6.50 a dozen and they were fresh out of Bon Secur bay. They were so good. I hate the thought of giving them up.

Latest posts