Whatcan I plant that cattle might not munch on?

1Roscoe

Went out to round-up and lime my plot this past weekend. Neighbors cattle had been on our place. We are in the process of buying along narrow strip of land from this neighbor and erecting a new fence on this side, but I do not think it will get done in the next 30 days. So, no way to for sure keep his cattle off our place in the shortrun...fence is just too poor. The plot will not be tilled, but I will be able to get it clear of vegetation, and I will be able to irrigate it daily of needed. Best I might be able to do is surface drag after broadcasting seed. I'm looking to plant mid Sept, so it will still be pretty warm here. What options would be best to attract deer and not cattle? I'm not 100% sure the cattle will be a factor, but they might.

Thanks for the info!

BSK

Nothing that deer will eat. Deer are more picky eaters than cattle and cattle will eat everything (and more) that deer will eat.

1Roscoe

BSK said:
Nothing that deer will eat. Deer are more picky eaters than cattle and cattle will eat everything (and more) that deer will eat.

That's what I was thinking/afraid of. Well, at some point the cattle will be out of the immediate pasture in front of us..hopefully it will be before my plot gets going.

Thanks all!

leebowhunts

blackberry bushes and sawthorn ,chinese privett is another bush that will take over a fence row but deer love it.Our local g warden says it the number one browse late in the season

KamoKilla

Re: Whatcan I plant that cattle might not munch on

BSK said:

yep ill ditto that one , best thing to do is get that fence up!

1Roscoe

Re: Whatcan I plant that cattle might not munch on

Bizkit said:
yep ill ditto that one , best thing to do is get that fence up!

Still waitin on the dang surveyor to get his butt out there and do his thing so we can close the deal on the little sliver of land that the new fence will be built on! :(